Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2014, 10:35   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 38 Traditional
Send a message via Skype™ to Capt_Bob
D.C. to Caribbean and Extensive Cruising!

Hi! I've been living on board my 38' Hans Christian Traditional (Candide) since I was 27 years old. I told myself when I bought her that I'd be free to sail her "into the sunset" by the time I was 40. I missed my goal by 1 year (I was 41 when I paid off the mortgage).

In November 2013, I was "laid off" from my corporate job after 17 years (which was absolutely fine by me, and not at all unexpected). I'd been putting a bit of money aside and also got a nice severance. I'm not rich by any means...but I'll be comfortable for quite a while once I get out of the U.S. The boat is in great shape, and I plan on spending March and April (2014) getting her completely ready for an extended cruise around the Caribbean. No set agenda...but do plan on cruising for at least a couple of years. If I find the right person, then an Atlantic crossing and cruise in the Mediterranean will be in the plans.

I'm looking for a partner (male or female) to share this experience. Sailing experience is not necessary, but being handy with tools is a definite plus! Love for international adventure and meeting new people is a requirement. If you approve of the CouchSurfing ideals, this is the boat for you!

My primary goal is to travel; I've visited over 50 countries and have loved every minute of it! I plan to be as self-sufficient as possible, and make money along the way as opportunities present themselves. Prior to the layoff, I made my living with computers. I've been published many times, and plan to do a lot more writing. I definitely plan to charter the boat for day sails and short excursions.

For over 16 years, I've been outfitting the boat and dreaming of this adventure. Candide is a well-equipped and comfortable home. She has hot and cold running water, a 5.5 kw diesel generator, an ice maker (33 lbs./day), gas oven with 3-burner range, gas BBQ grill, 22,000 BTU central air, 2 private sleeping quarters, 1 head with shower and toilet, a robust entertainment center (large flat screen, surround sound, 400+ movie library), refrigerator and freezer, mobile / wireless internet (WiFi, 3G, and 4G), 2 full-size folding bicycles, 2000 Watt inverter, and a 645 Amp Hour battery bank.

Hans Christians are legendary blue-water cruisers that are designed and built to cross oceans. Candide has cutter rigging (one mast; jib, stay, and main sails), a new 39-HP Yanmar diesel engine, B&G hydraulic ram autopilot, 100 gallon water capacity, 90 gallon fuel capacity (diesel), 6 gallon hot water capacity, 5 bilge pumps (three installed, two backups), EPIRB satellite emergency transponder, digital windspeed / direction indicator, depth sounder, GPS / color chartplotter, CQR and plow anchors, electric anchor windless, and a 10′ RIB dinghy with 8 HP outboard.

There's plenty of information about the boat on my personal website (Sleeping With Oars! | Living Aboard a Sailboat). You can also find my username on YouTube (dotyrs) to view videos made while sailing in various locations. You can even read what people think about me, personally, on my CouchSurfing page (https://www.couchsurfing.org/profile.html?id=2CLXWA).

I am currently in Mussanah, Oman (in the Middle East). After being laid off, some friends offered me a job here to work on a temporary project. I expect to return to Washington, D.C. at the end of February and start going over every system on the boat. Oil needs to be changed, filters need replacement, propane tank needs to be refilled, the anchor light burned out last summer and needs to be replaced...nothing major...but there's a fairly long list of things to do in preparing the boat for an extended cruise. This would be an excellent time to meet face-to-face and get to know each other before heading to sea and “into the sunset.”

So, how about it? Does this sound like the way you want to live your life? If so, please contact me (soon...as departure time is fairly close). Tell me about your life thus far, why the cruising lifestyle appeals to you, your thoughts on where we might sail, your tolerance for experiencing new cultures and meeting new people, etc. The more information that you can provide in your initial response, the better.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

-Robert Doty

Old 19-02-2014, 11:57   #2

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Re: D.C. to Caribbean and Extensive Cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Bob View Post
For over 16 years, I've been outfitting the boat and dreaming of this adventure. Candide is a well-equipped and comfortable home. She has hot and cold running water, a 5.5 kw diesel generator, an ice maker (33 lbs./day), gas oven with 3-burner range, gas BBQ grill, 22,000 BTU central air, 2 private sleeping quarters, 1 head with shower and toilet, a robust entertainment center (large flat screen, surround sound, 400+ movie library), refrigerator and freezer, mobile / wireless internet (WiFi, 3G, and 4G), 2 full-size folding bicycles, 2000 Watt inverter, and a 645 Amp Hour battery bank.
WAT!!!! you don't have a washer and dryer.

Welcome aboard.

Old 20-02-2014, 07:54   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 38 Traditional
Send a message via Skype™ to Capt_Bob

Well, the washing machine and dryer (along with the 4-person hot tub) are in the shop for repairs. I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to list things that aren't currently on the boat. ;-)

Cheers from Mussanah, Oman!

-Robert
Old 20-02-2014, 07:57   #4

Boat: '83 Hunter 30

Robert...I sent you an email.
Old 20-02-2014, 21:00   #5

PM. ex navy. Id be a great addition! will be able to tell you more over a PM. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2014, 19:34   #6

Robert,

I am Rebecca. I am a 22 year old grad student at georgetown. My summer is pretty flexible, and it would be totally doable for me to take a week or two off. I don't have any sailing experience, but I was in the Army before grad school and I am pretty resourceful and a quick study. I am also a pretty good cook. I don't have any particular dates in mind, but if you are looking for a crew member, please let me know about your plans (if any) and hopefully I could come along for an adventure!

Best,
Rebecca
Old 20-04-2014, 17:57   #7

Hey Robert,

I am 22 years, young but I would consider myself mature and independent. I was homeschooled growing up and moved between parents in CA and Louisiana. I also spent a year and a half living and working in Asia in 2011-2012. I have a good sense of work ethic and completed my degree in Global Studies from UC Santa Barbara, though i’ll be taking classes and working here until June.

I’m grateful to have lived in California but I find many things about the way of life in the US disturbing and would like to explore, see what is really out there in the world and not get stuck working 9-5 shuffling papers in an office. My schedule this summer and beyond is completely flexible. I envision traveling at least the next 6months to a year and could commit myself to something longer.

I like to learn from the locals as opposed to tourist attractions and adapt well to new people/situations. I am generally quieter but enjoy working with others; I believe cooperation is one of our greatest capabilities as humans!

For the last two years I have lived in an 18 person housing co-operative where we all ‘own’ and contribute equally to house maintenance/cost.

I would love to hear more about your plans and what you are looking for… and you can check out some pictures and references written about me on my couch surfing profile:
https://www.couchsurfing.org/profile.html?id=MJL994A

hope to hear from you!
-Alice
AliceJaffe@umail.ucsb.edu
Old 21-04-2014, 08:54   #8

Hello Captain Bob,

I'm throwing my hat in the ring. I'm a 38 yr old female nursing grad student, and I'm taking a hiatus from my program starting May 5.

I have no sailing experience (other than being on a boat), and I'm super excited at the idea of sailing the Caribbean.

I speak fluent Spanish, have my Open Water divers for 15+ years, love to travel and always have a good time. I'm not a smoker, and drink in moderation.

I don't play poker but play euchre and canasta. I am an avid reader, solo traveler, educated, somewhat cultivated, yada yada.

I am only 2 hours from Charlotte at the moment, so we could meet in person if you wish (think that's a good idea?).

Renee
Old 15-05-2014, 17:21   #9

Hey there Bob i'm a 39 year old some what retired electrician that has the similar passions as yourself, i just returned to canada after spending the winter sailing the caribbean (bahamas,cuba, mexico, beliize, guatemala and St Maarten) i had a pacific crossing lined up for the next 6 months but the boat sold and a plans fell thru, so i'm looking for my next adventure, thinking about buying a sailboat at some point but the best deals are always just stumbled upon so i figure i'll travel around for a while and see what happens. i'v sold my house and most of my others things to allow me some freedom to go where ever, when ever i want. I'm extremely handy when it comes to maintenance and repairs on board, and looking for all sorts of adventure, Let me know what your up too
Thanx Dean
Old 23-05-2014, 23:06   #10

Hi!
So it looks like you've already received quite a lot of responses already, but I was just so happy to see a Couchsurfer on here, I had to write something!
We're Alice and Ricky, two friends (both CS- see my profile here: https://www.couchsurfing.org/profile.html?id=DD55V8A), and we're going on a Caribbean/South American adventure together this summer. We want to leave within the next couple of weeks, so as soon as possible. We can leave from anywhere on the East Coast...Ricky is based out of Texas and I'm in Massachusetts, so anywhere from D.C. to Florida is a good half-way meeting point for us. We wouldn't be able to stay with you for your whole trip, but we could devote a couple of months to it. We also hope to spend some time busking around South America...Ricky will bring his guitar!
Ricky has a lot of sailing experience; me, not so much, but I'd love to learn! Ricky has his captain's license and EMT certification, and he has worked as a crewmember on a yacht in the Caribbean before. Back in Texas, he works as a professional sailing instructor. I have lots of other skills I could contribute, such as cooking, cleaning, keeping watch, and anything else you teach me! Ricky is 24 and I'm 23 and neither of us are any stranger to hard work or being in the outdoors. We're both big camping buffs and I've hitchhiked solo across five countries. Also, Ricky is Mexican-American and I also speak fluent Spanish, so that could be useful in the Caribbean.
Let me know if there's a spot on the boat for us!
Alice and Ricky
alice.r.blackwood@gmail.com
Old 15-06-2014, 06:15   #11

In Placencia , Belize, a day skipper, wanting open seas experience. blackcoral01@gmail.com
Old 21-06-2014, 22:06   #12

I would also be interested in talking if you are still looking?
Old 03-07-2014, 08:16   #13

Hi, any updates would be fantastic, especially how your getting on and your plans....
Old 04-07-2014, 13:33   #14

Howdy!
I am a 40 year old world travelling Chef. I have a dozen years culinary experience and 40 years travelling experience. I was raised travelling in the Air Force and I haven't stopped. I have worked several years on a private island resort in the Caribbean (BVI-Cooper Island) and have been to almost every Caribbean island country. I have lived and worked in such remote places as Antarctica, Bay of Islands in New Zealand, and Denali Alaska. I have also toured many SE Asian countires, and I lived for three years in India. My family currently resides in Washington DC and I pass through that very familiar area often. I work seasonal resort jobs and I have been looking to get into the yachting world. Perhaps we can make a great team. I am also handy with tools.
-Chris

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, rib