Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 21:18   #1

Curious

I've been an avid talker of sailing/voyages and want to pursuit the experience more then any thing else. Around October I will be in Barcelona till January and would like to partake in a sailing excursion to the states there after. Is it true that you need to have a safety certification and that its thousands of dollars? Are there any ways out of having to get this? I am CPR and First Aid certified.

I've lived on a 86 foot schooner for some time, am fairly athletic, extremely outgoing, insanely fast learner, mid 20's lady who is exited to adventure and try new things. Thank you for any information, truly so helpful!
Old 10-09-2012, 21:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Curious

you might have more luck walking the docks in gibraltar in october,plan to be in las palmas in november for trips across the atlantic,by january most of the fleet has allready arrived in the caribean,headinto the states in april.

privat yachts require no certification.
working on super yachts the minimum you will need is a stcw 95 certificate
Old 12-09-2012, 05:48   #3

Re: Curious

Hi Coyote,

My name is Christian Hasselkjaer Schmidt, im 29. I'm starting an around the world voyage leaving Copenhagen, Denmark in October. I will be heading south and enter into the mediterranean before new year. I will sail around in the mediterranean until November 2013 where i will make my crossing over the great atlantic ocean. I am looking for 3-4 crew to sail with me of periods of 3-6 month at the time.

I sail a Jeanneau 57 and we are running a shared economy onboard. i will be on the ocean for the next 4-5 years so if this time is not suitable for you, you can always take contact at a later time.

if you are interested and want to know more just let me know, then i can send you the ships "handbook" which explain in many details the trip, the ship, the route, etc.

you do not need any safety certifications in order to sail as a crew. on board you will get breifed on how the safety eqiupement on board works and when to use them

Have a good day
Christian