Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 09:05   #1

Boat: 1983 31' Hunter
Cruising Sail crew for west coast of FL

I am looking for sailing crew for cruising the west coast of FL from St. Pete to the Keys. I have a 31' Hunter sloop w/ yanmar diesel, solar panels and wind generator. What I don't have is crew, due to a complicated family situation. My boat is based in Charlotte Harbor (Punta Gorda Isles). About me: I am 59, in good health with about 30 yrs sailing experience including a USCG 50 ton master rating. What am I looking for? Male or Female 18-60 with cruising sailing experience (dinghy racing doesn't count for much, sorry) a basic understanding of basic coastal navigation, watchstanding and general seamanship/sail handling. Galley experience would also be helpful. You must be in reasonably good health and provide your own harness, weather gear">foul weather gear, PFD, PLB, and a share of provisions. References and passport would also be helpful! Sailing tryout and written nav/rules test. This is strictly a sailing/travel unpaid arrangement, nothing more!
Old 11-04-2016, 19:35   #2

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint
Re: Cruising Sail crew for west coast of FL

Hi "SharkWatcher", You've piqued my interest. I'll PM w/ CV, but in short, I could fit your requirements, have done a 30 day Pacific passage from Mx to the canal as a volunteer crew, so plenty of 'seamanship' and watch standing, plus I want to handle as much of the galley as you're willing (there's a reason I'll explain in due course). I have a handful of ASA & ICC with a few more in the pipeline.

So two questions: do you have an approximate schedule? I do appreciate the weather and other factors impact this and make precise timing very elusive. (but your boat sounds ready to sail now). Also, what is your thinking on % of nights sailing through, vs. nights anchoring along the way?

So I'd look forward to discussing this further - I really like the Hunter's and would really enjoy being able to sail on yours and get to know the Hunter's even better. And that's a great cruising ground, so I'd look forward to it.

Old 12-04-2016, 13:07   #3

Just for clearification, First, this is an unpaid position. Second, it is primarily for someone living local to FL west coast. Third, this is not for one trip but for multiple trips varying in length from long weekend to 2 months.
Old 13-04-2016, 04:20   #4

Filled and Closed

Tags
crew, cruising, sail, west coast