Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2015, 13:12   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Monza
Boat: Laser 16
Posts: 7
Send a message via Skype™ to Antonio91
Crossing the Atlantic Ocean

Hello,

I am Antonio, I am 24 years old and now, after my Master Degree in Electrical Engineering, I would love to cross the Atlantic Ocean in January 2016. Could someone give me any advice? I know the best period to cross the Atlantic Ocean is mid November.
But I can cross the Atlantic Ocean in January. Do you think I can find some sailing boats available to give me a passage for the crossing in January?
Which European harbors do you think are the most suitable to look for boats?
I have a good experiences in dinghies, but zero experience in Ocean. I am sturdy and ready to help for whatever job to do on the boat, cooking, washing, cleaning and so on.

Kind Regards,
Antonio
__________________

Antonio91 is offline  
Old 30-12-2015, 14:10   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SW Florida
Boat: Grand Banks 49
Posts: 512
Re: Crossing the Atlantic Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio91 View Post
Hello,

I am Antonio, I am 24 years old and now, after my Master Degree in Electrical Engineering, I would love to cross the Atlantic Ocean in January 2016. Could someone give me any advice? I know the best period to cross the Atlantic Ocean is mid November.
But I can cross the Atlantic Ocean in January. Do you think I can find some sailing boats available to give me a passage for the crossing in January?
Which European harbors do you think are the most suitable to look for boats?
I have a good experiences in dinghies, but zero experience in Ocean. I am sturdy and ready to help for whatever job to do on the boat, cooking, washing, cleaning and so on.

Kind Regards,
Antonio
===

The primary route for yachts going to the Caribbean that time of year is via the Canary Islands, with Las Palmas being the main port of departure for the westbound transatlantic passage. My advice would be to make your way to Las Palmas in early November and walk the docks where cruising sail boats hang out. Have some cards made up with your name and cell number so that people will remember you and know how to get in touch.
__________________

wayne.b is offline  
Old 30-12-2015, 14:18   #3
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,520
Re: Crossing the Atlantic Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio91 View Post
I would love to cross the Atlantic Ocean in January 2016.
So you want to leave within a week?
Or is it a typo and did you mean 2017?

Where are you now?
Boats making the jump now are in Cape Verde / Canary Islands.
(If they haven't left already)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
make your way to Las Palmas in early November.
That won't be easy unless he has a Tardis.
Which I doubt, cos then he wouldn't need a boat
__________________
"Il faut Ítre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline  
Old 30-12-2015, 14:34   #4
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: Crossing the Atlantic Ocean

Antonio, mid November is not really the best time to cross. It just happens to be when the two major rallies cross, but usually the reason is for maximum sailing time in the Caribbean before heading back to Europe or on to the Pacific, or charter yacht or race crews with dates in the Caribbean. The trade winds are generally not fully established and many sailors without time limits will wait till mid January to depart the canaries. Most yachts enroute to the canaries will stop in Gibraltar so it might be possible to hitch a ride there. Alternately head the the canaries and visit the marinas in Lanzarote and Palma. There may be a bit of competition around though as anyone that missed a lift with the ARC might still be hanging around looking for a yacht to crew on.
monte is offline  
Old 31-12-2015, 08:35   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ, and PNW
Boat: Seaward 25, Beneteau 40
Posts: 201
Re: Crossing the Atlantic Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
That won't be easy unless he has a Tardis.
Which I doubt, cos then he wouldn't need a boat
Best reply ever!
canyonbat is offline  
Old 31-12-2015, 09:27   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Boat: YOUNG SUN 43 Cutter
Posts: 43
Re: Crossing the Atlantic Ocean

Fly directly to Las Palmas in Gran Canaria and walk the dock in the main harbor. If you don't get a ride there, take the bus to Porto Rico where many yachts depart from there as well. Chances are good you will get a ride from either port.
YARGO is offline  
Old 01-01-2016, 08:08   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Monza
Boat: Laser 16
Posts: 7
Send a message via Skype™ to Antonio91
Re: Crossing the Atlantic Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Antonio, mid November is not really the best time to cross. It just happens to be when the two major rallies cross, but usually the reason is for maximum sailing time in the Caribbean before heading back to Europe or on to the Pacific, or charter yacht or race crews with dates in the Caribbean. The trade winds are generally not fully established and many sailors without time limits will wait till mid January to depart the canaries. Most yachts enroute to the canaries will stop in Gibraltar so it might be possible to hitch a ride there. Alternately head the the canaries and visit the marinas in Lanzarote and Palma. There may be a bit of competition around though as anyone that missed a lift with the ARC might still be hanging around looking for a yacht to crew on.
Thank you very much everyone. My idea is to leave for Canarie as soon as possible in January 2016. A lot of people told me there won't be any boats now heading out for Caribbean because all of them are already there, that's why I am gathering all kinds of information from this forum!
Antonio91 is offline  
Old 01-01-2016, 08:11   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Monza
Boat: Laser 16
Posts: 7
Send a message via Skype™ to Antonio91
Re: Crossing the Atlantic Ocean

Thank you very much everyone. My idea is to leave for Canarie as soon as possible in January 2016 (This month). A lot of people told me there won't be any boats now heading out for Caribbean because all of them are already there, that's why I am gathering all kinds of information from this forum!
I am afraind I get to the Canarie and I don't find anyone!
Antonio91 is offline  
Old 01-01-2016, 08:54   #9
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,520
Re: Crossing the Atlantic Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio91 View Post
I am afraind I get to the Canarie and I don't find anyone!
That's always a possibility.
Especially if you're late - you won't be the only one there looking for a boat

How much time do you have in January and February to make the crossing?
__________________
"Il faut Ítre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline  
Old 01-01-2016, 10:50   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Monza
Boat: Laser 16
Posts: 7
Send a message via Skype™ to Antonio91
Re: Crossing the Atlantic Ocean

I would like to find a passage as soon as possible and then I think in 15-20 days I will be crossing the Atlantic Ocean and in February I hope to be already in the Caribbean.
Do you think is possible?
__________________

Antonio91 is offline  
 

Tags
Atlantic Ocean

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sailboat rent for Atlantic ocean crossing? katroed Atlantic & the Caribbean 2 05-07-2013 10:07
Crossing Atlantic Ocean cezaryw112 Atlantic & the Caribbean 16 23-09-2011 06:27
Pacific Ocean Crossing in a Dinghy noway Challenges 39 31-05-2009 23:38
Choosing a boat - ocean crossing Steve Pereira Monohull Sailboats 8 21-12-2008 11:06
Crossing the Atlantic Ocean by pedal power; support boat needed. synchronicity Atlantic & the Caribbean 0 27-02-2008 07:52



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.