Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2013, 12:42   #1

Crew Wanted-Puerto Rico to Galveston late November

Howdy folks,

I am in the middle of purchasing a Hans Christian 33 vessel that is located in Puerto Rico and I am in need of an experienced offshore crew.

I grew up with sailboats, owned one myself in Southern Cal in the 90's, did some limited offshore cruising to the local islands and down to Ensenada, nothing like what I plan on doing here pretty soon. Hence the need for an experience crew. I am looking for folks that are wanting to come aboard and do it because they love to sail since funds are very limited. I would pay for all boat expenses and obviously food but experienced captains are welcome to contact me and see what we can figure out.

I am a 43 year old adult, married, professional, well educated, very laid back, but tend to be very careful in regards to long trips. I don't get drunk, I rarely drink, I do enjoy a good meal....fluent in English and Spanish.

If you would like to contact me feel free to do so, andresv94 at ya hoo

This would take place during late November, last week of November and try to get to Galveston the fasts way possible.

Thank you
Andy
Old 17-10-2013, 14:02   #2

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
Re: Crew Wanted-Puerto Rico to Galveston late November

Andy, A quick look at the Google Earth Tools application shows it to be about 1850 NM from Fajardo to Galveston, running just about through the middle of Cuba. The route up the south side of Cuba looks to be a lot of blue water with not to many places to escape to in the event of weather. The route that I would select, being on old retired pilot, would be along the south shore of PR, across the Mona Passage to the north shore of the DR, then the T & C islands, up through the Bahamas to the Keys, following the GICW around to Galveston. It would surely add some distance, but would offer numerous stopping points for weather, mechanical and provisioning stops. Just one man's opinion! gts1544
Old 17-10-2013, 15:41   #3

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Hopefully you saw my comment in your other post, but I'll say it again. The end of November into December brings cold fronts, know as northers here in Texas, and they will role off the Gulf coast about every 7 days, give or take a day. These fronts will stir up the Gulf with very large confused seas, and I do mean large, along with miserable winter conditions. So the advice to use the ICW around to Galveston is a good one. Please get some experienced opinions about this journey before attempting a Gulf of Mexico winter crossing.
Old 17-10-2013, 15:48   #4

Hi Bob,
Yes I did see your comments and I appreciate them very much, I will follow your advice and stay near the coast as much as possible!!

Thank you
Old 18-10-2013, 18:42   #5

looking for at least one more person to join us on this trip : )
Old 23-10-2013, 22:07   #6

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000

Bob is right.

Have you considered keeping the boat in PR until a better season? There's a ton to see along PR's south coasts, flights are cheap, and the beer is cold. Culebra is just east. Then the return to Galveston could be a pleasure cruise!
Old 24-10-2013, 05:26   #7

andyv94, Just one more recommendation for the Bahamas routing. You will have the wind and current at your back most of the way to the Keys. Second the recommendation for Culebra Island (20 miles east of PR) as it is delightful, well protected and a $2.50 ferry ride from Fajardo, PR, with its Super Walmart / West Marine / scads of nautical shops! Stay a while and enjoy! Very safe to leave your boat in Ensenada Honda with a substantial live aboard community in residence. George
Old 24-10-2013, 20:11   #8

Where would I leave my boat until I can take my boat to Galveston comfortable? Would that be in April or May?
If I'm going to leave my boat I'm going to haul it out!
Old 24-10-2013, 22:55   #9

andyv94, Assuming that your boat is somewhere along the east coast of Puerto Rico, I would suggest the boatyard at Palmas del Mar Resort in Humacao, PR on the SE coast. I hauled there many years ago and was quite satisfied. You might also try Marina del Rey at Ceiba, PR, which is actually on the east coast not too far from Fajardo, but I don't know how much space they have on the hard. Since the hurricane season is just about over (November 30) and doesn't start again until June, why haul at all and incur the storage expense. If it were my boat, I would take her over to Ensenada Honda in Culebra, hook up with a live aboard to watch her and check the batteries and bilges weekly. Well protected area and almost no crime! I would haul and bottom paint just before heading up to the states. There are several other marinas in the Fajardo area: Puerto Chico / Sail Lovers / Isletta Marina (just offshore on an island). Andy, I lived in Puerto Rico for 12 years some time ago and my wife is Puerto Rican. We own 3 properties on the island and her brother lives in San Juan, so we visit several times a year. George
PM me for a phone number if you wish to talk.
Old 25-10-2013, 00:58   #10

Thank you George I'll pm you tomorrow some time during the day!!
Old 26-10-2013, 11:59   #11

Update

One of the crew members had a to cancel on us so one spot has opened up.

Here's what I'm looking for

An experienced sailor with offshore sailing experience and a capable navigator
Will need him from late November until we get to Galveston some time in December, this will be dictated by the weather in the gulf.

Unfortunately I will not ba able to pay for your service but will feed you while on the boat.

The idea is to sail to Culebra island for a few days and sail to Caicos and Turks, stay there a couple of nights and sail to the caymans or straight to Islas mujeres where we will wait for weather window to make the jump to Galveston!

If interested please pm me here

Thank you
Old 28-10-2013, 17:24   #12

Still looking for one more
Old 28-10-2013, 19:56   #13

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000

Pretty ambitious schedule for not having the boat yet. That's a lot of water! Regardless, good luck. I'm sure it'd be a blast. And a HC 33 is a heck of a nice boat.
Old 29-10-2013, 05:49   #14

andyv94,

First I wish all the best on our journey, I wish I could be able to join it but unfortunate, I would only be available after Dec 20th. Not that I'm wishing this, but if for any reason you decide to delay the trip (or any part of it) to after this date let me know and we could discuss if I could help in any way. I live in Houston and could go meet you guys along the way to help complete the journey.
Old 02-11-2013, 18:23   #15

Andy,

I would be interested in joining if you are still looking for crew. I have a 50 ton USCG masters and have done several deliveries up and down the east coast as well as two atlantic crossings. I am a commercial captain up in maine and am ready to head for some warmer climes for the winter. If you are still looking I can send you my CV. vault888 at hotmail dot com.

Matthew

Tags
crew, crew wanted, Puerto Rico, wanted