Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2014, 12:44   #1

Crew wanted for trip to Panama, through canal, and to South Pacific

Looking for a crew person to sail to Panama and onwards. I am currently in Cartagena, Colombia, and looking to sail to Panama in the next few weeks, then through the canal, and on to the Marquesas. I have a 36 ft Vancouver cutter, w/ all the safety gear, SSB, wind vane steering and autopilot, wind gen, solar panels etc. I've had it 3 years, and it sails great - went up to NY and back to Florida two summers ago, then down through the Bahamas, Dominican Republic to here in Colombia. If you'd like to sail to Panama via the San Blas islands, go through the canal or continue all the way to FP (about 35 days), let me know. You would have to be able to pay your way to Colombia or Panama, then be able to cover the cost of the return ticket from wherever you finish your trip. Planning on making my way to NZ, AUS, and Solomon's eventually. Let me know if you want more info about myself/the boat etc. Cheers, Phil
Old 11-01-2014, 07:26   #2

Re: Crew wanted for trip to Panama, through canal, and to South Pacific

Hey There Phil!
Looks like you have an incredible adventure planned out, really something special!
My name is Bryn Colbourne and i´m currently situated in ecuador doing some travelling for the next month or so before contemplating heading back home to australia. i´m a 25 year old geologist based in Perth and love an adventure! i have no time constraints and would be completely flexible with travel dates and plans. i have already sailed between panama and colombia via the san blas and it was by far one of the highlights of my trip! have plenty of sailing experience growing up especially with old derwent class ships. Ideally i would be interested in travelling the entire distance towards the solomon islands and finally make it to australia.
would be great to get some specific details about your travel itinerary requirments, costs for the trip and dates you would be looking to leave.
I can be contacted via email at Brync@utas.edu.au and will be able to reply on the day.
Looking forward to hearing about your plans phil,
Cheers,
Bryn Colbourne
Old 13-01-2014, 13:38   #3

Hi Phil,
I'm new to this forum and tried to send a PM.
Thanks, Steve
Old 13-01-2014, 14:57   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to peartree

Hi Phil, I have sent you a private message. Thanks Christine
Old 13-01-2014, 16:52   #5

Phil, I just retired from a career as a mechanical engineer and am eager to get out on the water, especially the waters you're headed. Raced dinghy's, blue jays and lightnings extensively as skipper from age 6 - 16, raced and day sailed dad's 22 sq meter age 8-16, foredeck and relief helmsman on various 35-45 ft boats including 4 Chicago-Mackinac races. Built a Y-Flyer, which was raced and daysailed over many years. Built a DN iceboat and two wood kayaks. Worked at Palmer Johnson for a year, mostly building a 40 ft cold-molded racer. Owned a Cal 40 for 11 years in Seattle, which was raced and cruised extensively up the coast of BC every year. Skippered 4 Swiftsure races. Owned and raced a 505 and a thistle. Chartered boats in Grenada, Tonga, LaPaz, and several times in the San Juans. But I have not lost my humility, I have ultimate respect for the sea.

I'm 63 but in reasonable shape (could still get a blown genoa down in rough weather or get you back on board). I'm not one who must fill up every silent moment with chatter. And I'm a decent cook.

Please get back to me at jakeobrienx@gmail.com if interested. Cheers.
Old 14-01-2014, 08:15   #6

Hi,
I'd be interested in the sail Columbia through the canal. I have decent experience though no water sailing">blue water sailing. Let me know the dates and if space is still available. David in Boston.
Beckerand@yahoo.com
Old 22-01-2014, 17:44   #7

Hi - Are you looking for crew to FP from Panama? I can send you my resume for your consideration.
Thanks
tavakedog
Old 22-01-2014, 19:50   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to peartree

No I was offering my services as a line handler.
Old 24-01-2014, 07:41   #9

Yes I am an experienced offshore sailor. Ready to crew. Resources available to share expenses. Please contact me for resume at 2kirks@bendbroadband.com.
cheers
Steve
Old 27-01-2014, 13:14   #10

hi Phil my name is Sergio from Brazil, now in Venezuela, good experience in sail boat and mega Yacht, I have been to Panama many times. I am English, Spanish and Portuguese speaker, and able to pay for my expenses from Colombia to Panama. just let me know if you are interested to share space to me in your boat.
my regards

Sergio
Old 01-02-2014, 14:27   #11

Hey there! I'm currently in Panama City, and I've worked as a sailor aboard a 45' steel hull ketch rig sailing between the San Blas Islands and Cartagena. Our sail boat took passengers and my duties included dealing with them and doing almost all the cooking, PLUS the standard sailor duties so i know how to work hard. The only crew members were the captain and myself, so we split time at the tiller (3 hour shifts). I know my way around a boat and I'm an expert carpenter (I owned a construction company in Texas). Id even be willing to help you with repairs to your boat, as I brought my tools with me to Panama (I drove). I'm planning on being in Panama through march at the latest, then I planned on flying to Austrailia. However, if you are serious about making this trip I could put off buying a plane ticket. I could also get a free boat ride to Cartagena to help you make the crossing and get through the canal, if that would help you with your decision. I'm a 29 y/o male, I get along with all types of people, and I'd love to make this journey with you.. Maybe all the way to Australia!?
Old 03-02-2014, 18:06   #12

PM sent! Thanks.
Old 03-02-2014, 18:39   #13

This sounds like an amazing journey! I am currently in Grand Cayman working as a dive master. I will be free for an extended period of time and would love an adventure. I am a 25 year old male and have some sailing experience working on a 45' ketch. If you still need a crew let me know when you are planing this trip.
Old 04-02-2014, 18:35   #14

Hey, we are a couple currently in cartagena, looking to sail to the Panama canal. We have some experience sailing, good mechanical skills, and a good work ethic. We like to cook too! Could we meet up in cartagena to talk about your plans? Thanks Ann and Caleb
annmarielytle@gmail.com

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-02-2014, 15:28   #15

Hi Phil my name is daniel i´m near santa marta,i´m would be interested to help you with your trip to panama and to the pacific i´m a canadian and i can pay for my expenses i do have 25 yeras exp. and been a few times to the san blas and if you would like to talk to me you can call me at my colombian phone 316 7061761
do you know when you would like to cast off?
cheers for now,hope to hears from you soon

Tags
crew, crew wanted, Panama, south pacific, wanted