Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2013, 14:04   #1

Crew wanted for Circumnavigation

Hi
Me(31) and my wife(33) are planning a circumnavigation starting from Turkey which will take 3-4 years to complete via Panama. 1.5 Years cruising in Med and crossing the Atlantic in 2015 November. We are looking for a crew or a couple with previous sailing experience who is/are adventurous, nature loving and responsible. Our boat is a Pacific Seacraft 40. We do not require any contribution for expenses. Just bring good spirit!

We are sea kayakers, love hiking, biking and photography. We require that the crew takes the responsibility of taking care of the boat when we are away exploring the islands, kayaking around them or biking. Especially in the Greek Islands, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea and Indonesian Islands where almost no marinas exists. We would like to explore most of the remote islands by kayak, by bike or hiking. (1.5-2 years in the Pacific) Of course we would also wait in turn so that you can explore the inner parts of the islands if you want.

We do not require a full commitment for the journey cause we know anything could happen in a 40 feet boat after a year but at least 1-1.5 year commitment is necessary.

So if you are adventurous, love nature and love exploring remote places and cultures join us in our adventure.
Old 16-05-2013, 14:56   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Crew wanted for Circumnavigation

Are you sure you want anyone else on board. A boat your size should be easy for a couple to handle assuming you have a self steering vane and autopilot. Having two other people on a boat that size would be a recipe for an aborted cruise. You'll find yourself modifying your cruising plans to appease the 'crew' and living in that close quarters amplifies everyone's quirks.

We had a friend join us for two months while we were in the Marquesas. A really nice guy, very accommodating and easy to get along with but we were so happy to see him leave at the end. Couldn't imagine living with another couple for a year or more. There's a reason that most cruising crews are a couple or solo.
Old 16-05-2013, 15:00   #3

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Rover! Does this rule includes your in-laws? Mauritz
Old 16-05-2013, 16:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Are you sure you want anyone else on board. A boat your size should be easy for a couple to handle assuming you have a self steering vane and autopilot. Having two other people on a boat that size would be a recipe for an aborted cruise. You'll find yourself modifying your cruising plans to appease the 'crew' and living in that close quarters amplifies everyone's quirks.

We had a friend join us for two months while we were in the Marquesas. A really nice guy, very accommodating and easy to get along with but we were so happy to see him leave at the end. Couldn't imagine living with another couple for a year or more. There's a reason that most cruising crews are a couple or solo.
We have a vane and an autopilot.
You are right but then cruising with my wife(with any woman actually) would in theory be impossible =)
Fights i could bear and i think are necessary to let it out
In the end if 3-4 people, provided they share the same joys and passions cant just manage to get along what is the point of a journey like this?

Should be journey about transformation and transcending "quirks"
Sounds childish and unrealistic maybe but hey i m still 31
Old 16-05-2013, 16:22   #5

Childish and unrealistic are some of my favourite qualities! My boyfriend and I (in our young 30's/40's) are eternal Peter Pans.Your search for adventure partners sounds perfect for us except for the fact that we are complete newbies to sailing...although we are learning as fast as we can. If you are looking for crew next year when we have more to offer look us up!

Explore, Dream, Discover!!
Old 16-05-2013, 17:38   #6

Hi Kayak 123,
Re:crew wanted for circumnavigation in pacific seacraft 40. First I want to say you have an awesome bluewater cruiser that is very well built for extended offshore cruising. I had the opportunity to tour the factory of pacific seacraft several years before and it was a very quality oriented business working with top naval architect designs, Bill Crealock N.A. Has designed many seaworthy vessels I previously owned a Columbia 28 also designed by
Bill Crealock.

I am of the adventure spirit as you request, I have 7 weeks of offshore passage experience with years of daysail experience and years of night time boating experience. I am a great cook of many cusines which is from a passion for cooking. I speak spanish fluent as a second language. I possess a valid passport. I have 25 years experience traveling in central america and Mexico I am familiar with the people and their cultures. I am a people person so I posess a ability to win friendship and trust with most all I meet in 2 to 10 minutes.

I have owned several sailboats over the over the years and presently own a
Allied Luders 33.

I have been exposed to the cruising community over 25 years through vacationing and living in a cruising grounds community in central america. I have lived 8 years in the tropics in Mexico and Central America.

I am interested in discussing your adventures of circumnavigation further through post message or email if you are interested. Please advise
Thank you for your time. I appreciate your consideration.
Fair winds and many stars,
Tropicstarsv
Old 16-05-2013, 17:56   #7

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

I am about to depart as crew on a two week Barrier Reef trip for about two weeks and I think that is long enought time for my first trip. Leaving your boat in charge of strangers is not a good idea. Close family and friends you can follow up on, but not strangers from the intenet.
Old 17-05-2013, 00:20   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 28

I don't think they would be strangers anymore at that point.

Ok so some of you don't want to sail with other people. Well, they do. So why hijack their post with your opinions? Let them find crew. Sounds like the trip of anyone's lifetime.
Old 17-05-2013, 01:03   #9

It is the cruise of a lifetime-hopefully for the right reasons. If you can't see the potential hazards,they might find you.
Old 17-05-2013, 01:11   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i think this is a great idea,and it can work well,but i reccomend you rethink the financial aspect,as from my experince if the other party is getting something for nothing,psycologically they are permenently in your debt which breeds a master,slave atmosphere and they end up thinking that you owe them something.

better to have a minimal contribution to monthly expenses then your "guests" will feel they are contributing to all aspects of the voyage,and not continually in your debt.

just my 2cents from multiple circumnavigations and having hundreds of crew sail with me and my wife,though from my experince generally people like to move on after 6-8 months,but if you are lucky you may find the right people first time for the whole voyage.
Old 17-05-2013, 10:57   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish

Very nice..... I would consider this if I had the extra funds to take a year or two w/ no income.. But.. LOL. from the USA where we all will be working till we die...
Old 17-05-2013, 11:16   #12

I wouldn't bet on it...dead people provide income to a lot of other people including governments. Take for instance, the Pharaohs of Egypt...they have been dead for about 4000 years...and they are still generating millions of dollars to the tourist trade and Egypt. Elvis has been dead...ummm...you get the picture. Whenever you can, sail away! Mauritz
Old 17-05-2013, 14:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i think this is a great idea,and it can work well,but i reccomend you rethink the financial aspect,as from my experince if the other party is getting something for nothing,psycologically they are permenently in your debt which breeds a master,slave atmosphere and they end up thinking that you owe them something.

better to have a minimal contribution to monthly expenses then your "guests" will feel they are contributing to all aspects of the voyage,and not continually in your debt.

just my 2cents from multiple circumnavigations and having hundreds of crew sail with me and my wife,though from my experince generally people like to move on after 6-8 months,but if you are lucky you may find the right people first time for the whole voyage.
Thanks for the insights

I think your are right, the very atmosphere we try to achieve by not demanding any contribution may itself create the master-slave situation. people are so complicated. we never had a "stranger" onboard. Always had friends and it was very enjoyable but again it was short.

And how do you calculate the expenses justly? I mean we may want to go to a good restaurant sometimes or stay in a marina instead of anchoring(esp in med and caribbean) the crew may opt for cheaper alternatives. Sharing food and fuel expenses perhaps would be right?

I think I will also have to divide the journey in 4 parts(med-carib-pacific till fiji-guinea and indonesia) and prepare a detailed itinerary with more or less exact dates and people can look, decide and join a part of it if they want.

Thanks for feedback. I think we will need to think through and plan it more carefully to avoid future problems.

The plan is to leave 2014 april by the way from Bodrum. This summer fooling around in dodecanese, and in winter preparing the boat.
Old 17-05-2013, 15:41   #14

Use $50-$75 USD per day, for crew out-of pocket expenses, as a guide. Subsidize occasional outings and formal dinners. Mauritz
Old 17-05-2013, 17:12   #15

Mind me asking where you would spend $50-$75 a day on crew [or each crew]?

Tags
circumnavigation, crew, paracelle, wanted