Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2011, 00:52   #1

Boat: Westerly Chieftain 8m
Crew for French Canals

Crew Want French Canals

It maybe a bit early to place this add but I'd like to know if there's any interest.
Hi my name is Keith I'm 55 and I'm looking for crew for a French canal trip going south.
I live aboard my Westerly Chieftain, she's 26ft and well fitted out. For the last 5 years I'v sailed her solo. And at present we have a berth at Gravelines France.
In May 2012 I'm off heading south for the Med though the French canals. And would like to have one maybe two crew to help out. This is not going to be a rush trip. As I would like to see some of France too. (about 4 to 5 months) And as I intend to winter in the Sete area. And then go into the Med the following year 2013.
So if you don't mind the closeness of the smaller boat with your own cabin. Want to do France by the canals here's your chance.
Shared food costs.
I'd like to hear from you.
Old 20-11-2011, 01:59   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Crew for French Canals

Can't help - but just thought I would mention that used to spend a lot of time in the French Canals (mostly northern France).........IMO probably one of the best ways to "do" Europe . certainly one of the better ways to spend a few months - or the summer ......as long as not rushing . Canals take you through not only stunning countryside and villages but also larger towns (and Cities)......and France has food to die for

Big plus (especially on a smaller boat ) is that folk can easily get away from the other person (for the benefit of both ) not being stuck (or simply feeling stuck) with someone 24/7 can make life more pleasant.

FWIW 1 person can handle the trip (including the locks) - just easier / more fun with another pair of hands.....
Old 20-11-2011, 10:47   #3

I'v been told by a few people that to do it solo is very hard work and total madness. Would you disagree with this. I'm def not going to rush don't rush to do anything now a days.
Old 20-11-2011, 16:22   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerly View Post
I'v been told by a few people that to do it solo is very hard work and total madness. Would you disagree with this. I'm def not going to rush don't rush to do anything now a days.
It's been a good while, and not done the route you will take - but given that your boat is small enough to respond to a bit of muscle power if needed, odds on will often be locking through with others and are in no great hurry I would certainly not be afraid to see how you get on.

The rest of it is mainly about not running aground. Navigation is fairly easy (albeit still possible to take a wrong turn ).

But nonetheless an extra pair of hands would make life easier.

If you are talking simple expenses, someone could have a vacation that is a complete steal.........
Old 20-11-2011, 18:12   #5

Boat: 2007 Hunter 49

Quote:
Your boat should be easy to handle solo in the French canals. In 2005 I soloed our 14-metre, steel cruiser from Paris about half-way across France to Saint-Jean-de-Losne after my wife had to return to Canada for medical reasons. Map of French Canals
On the other hand, it is so much nicer doing the canals with a companion or two.
Old 21-11-2011, 23:26   #6

Thanks to every one for they input it's all helpful. I was hoping to get at least one or two takers for the trip. But what I got was loads of advice all very helpful. Maybe I'm going to find it harder to find crew than I thought. I have no problem handling my boat on my own been doing that for a number of years now.
Old 22-11-2011, 04:53   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Thanks to every one for they input it's all helpful. I was hoping to get at least one or two takers for the trip. But what I got was loads of advice all very helpful. Maybe I'm going to find it harder to find crew than I thought. I have no problem handling my boat on my own been doing that for a number of years now.
I suspect this thread will be a bit of a slow burn.......don't be shy aout giving it a bump now and again

Dunno where else you have looked on the internet (this one heavily North American based).....might be worth having a look at the backpackers over on thorntree (Lonely Planet) - not all of them are 21yo's, with Bikinis

If I was looking to "do" Europe on a budget this trip would be ideal. With a tent don't even need guest crew to be onboard all the time, and no reason why they couldn't wander off now and again for a few days or so.........
Old 22-11-2011, 05:25   #8
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Crew Want French Canals

It maybe a bit early to place this add but I'd like to know if there's any interest.
Hi my name is Keith I'm 55 and I'm looking for crew for a French canal trip going south.
I live aboard my Westerly Chieftain, she's 26ft and well fitted out. For the last 5 years I'v sailed her solo. And at present we have a berth at Gravelines France.
In May 2012 I'm off heading south for the Med though the French canals. And would like to have one maybe two crew to help out. This is not going to be a rush trip. As I would like to see some of France too. (about 4 to 5 months) And as I intend to winter in the Sete area. And then go into the Med the following year 2013.
So if you don't mind the closeness of the smaller boat with your own cabin. Want to do France by the canals here's your chance.
Shared food costs.
I'd like to hear from you.
I wish I could -- that one makes my mouth water!!
Old 22-11-2011, 05:27   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Are you kidding? I'm already thinking "What could I do with the pets ..."

Don't think there's an answer for that one.
Old 22-11-2011, 05:29   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Are you kidding? I'm already thinking "What could I do with the pets ..."

Don't think there's an answer for that one.
The French probably have recipes that could help
Old 22-11-2011, 09:04   #11

Pets no sorry can't say that to do with them well not on here. They could travel at the back in the dingy. Sorry no pets on my boat they make to much mess.
At this rate I'll be taking my daughter with me she makes enough mess. But makes good eye candy on the bow of the boat.
Old 23-11-2011, 09:15   #12

I would be interested. I crewed on a trawler doing the Great American Loop, helped captain through Champlain Canal system. Please PM me. Thanks.
Old 23-11-2011, 10:29   #13

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

I'm interested for part of the trip. I have a fair amount of boating experience, am good at fixing things, and a good cook. I vacationed in France this year and 2 years back and really liked it.

Please PM me.
Old 29-11-2011, 00:10   #14

Thanks to all that helped and the two people that was interested I will PM you both at a later date. Once plans have been more finalised and I can give you dates
Old 29-11-2011, 16:47   #15

hello i would be interested i stay in sunny scotland and spent many summers in the south of france however have only sailed once on the sail training ship ss winston churchhill 3 masted schooner around scotland nearly 20 years ago and the only thing i havent forgotten is how good it was please send me more info when you sort things out i am a coachbuilder with electrical bias and good with my hands