Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2009, 14:35   #1

Crew Available: Young Floridian Looking to Learn

Hello Everyone,

It has long been an ambition of mine to learn to sail, and that is what I intend to do now that I am graduating from college and will be able to devote my "free time" to it. I'm from central Florida, the Canaveral/Melbourne area, and I feel a bit deprived not already knowing how to sail given the resources surrounding me. Regardless, I've been poking around on the internet looking at websites such as The Float Plan Home Page and I'm really interested in participating as a crew member/deckhand on some kind of journey, whatever it may be.

I'm an ambitious beginner with no previous experience. I'll be coming home in the middle of January 2010 and am open to just about anything; long trips, weekend trips, day trips, etc. I'm 22, healthy, and have the right "mentality" (but of course, that's for you to decide ). Hopefully I get some feedback from some of you. THANKS

-Vince
Old 25-10-2009, 15:09   #2

Welcome aboard, Vince.

Best way to learn to sail is a) do some reading.... just browse in the local library, b) visit the local marinas and yacht clubs and try to find a boat owner who needs some crew for racing, and c) take sailing lessons.

Regarding (b), I don't race any more but I may be doing some cruising in the Bahamas soon out of Ft. Lauderdale, and I may need some crew. Let's stay in touch.
Old 26-10-2009, 12:18   #3

I never really considered racing, only cruising, but I'm sure it's a good way to learn.

Do you recommend any books in particular--ones that really stand out? Currently I'm just doing some web searching.

Thanks for your help, and yes, let's stay in touch.

-Vince
vincanger(at)gmail(dot)com
Old 26-10-2009, 20:58   #4

Vince, I can't recommend any learn to sail books from personal experience, because I made the mistake of not using any books when I was learning. But I have heard this one is good:

Amazon.com: Sailing For Dummies (For Dummies (Sports & Hobbies)) (9780471791430): J. J. Isler, Peter Isler: Books

And this one is also highly recommended:

Amazon.com: Start Sailing Right!: The National Standard for Quality Sailing Instruction (US Sailing Small Boat Certification) (9781882502486): Derrick Fries: Books

And this book is really more of a must have reference manual for sailing, as well as an introduction to sailing, that I would strongly recommend when you know that you are into sailing for the long haul:

Amazon.com: The Annapolis Book of Seamanship, 3rd Edition Revised (9780684854205): John Rousmaniere, Mark Smith: Books