Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2010, 09:11   #31

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
We have a saying here:

It is a free country - everybody sleeps with whom he choose
Well, all I can say is if my wife meets an untimely death I am moving to Poland!
Old 21-12-2010, 09:18   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ahh... but getting a 'Pro' brings its own problems... Union demanding fixed hours, minimum 4mths vacations
That far, I thought you were talking about professional companionship crew ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
The rest is the matter of agreement between consenting adults...
Where is the problem???
When children are involved, other standards are applied. And those standards differ a lot.
Old 21-12-2010, 09:27   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean adrift View Post
When children are involved, other standards are applied. And those standards differ a lot.

You are right, of course.
But the discussion on this thread was mainly related to the sorrow or not-so-sorrow position of the crew answering for the ad. And such position is a matter of consent, I suppose.

From the original ad:

We are a family sailing round the world, and we are looking to bring 1 maybe 2 crew to help out with watches and home schooling. The position would suit a teacher with sailing experience seeking a career break.

Looks as they are searching for proper person
Old 21-12-2010, 09:56   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
pirate nanny on board

on salamandra,taking up to 8 paying"crew" we all ways tried to have a nanny to help out with the kids,though we never expected them to have to pay a share of costs ,they got to do all the good stuff in exchange for a little bit of schooling and child minding.

the only problem was that invariably id end up going out partying with the crew and nanny whilst poor wifey stayed on the boat and looked after the kids!!!!!!

attached photo of training nanny for red sea voyage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-13-2009_009.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	22132  
Old 21-12-2010, 10:48   #35

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
I was in the same yard as this boat and crew for a while. The boat is absolutely gorgeous in person and the kids seemed rather personable. I didn't talk to the owners at all, but I'd imagine it's a good deal for the right person, though maybe not for everyone. The job market isn't all that great right now- this would at least be something interesting to do for a while if the other option were to just sit around all day.
Old 21-12-2010, 11:51   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerequisite View Post
the kids seemed rather personable. I didn't talk to the owners at all, .
Out of curiosity, how were you able to glean an idea of what the kids were like, but not the accompanying idea of what the parents might be like? We're they not often present?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 21-12-2010, 13:55   #37

Wow, either you're really looking for a reason to not like the parents or didn't spend much time in boat yards as a kid! The parents were there- I presumed at the time that they all lived aboard. It was a while ago, but I seem to remember the parents working on the boat most of the time- just like I was. The kids kept themselves busy riding their bikes or running around the yard and neighborhood (a very safe place)- just like I remember doing as a kid. The always passed a polite wave or "hello" when they'd whiz by my boat or the mast rack where I was spending a lot of time. I only remember them at all because my wife and I were impressed by the boat and the kids reminded me of my brother, sister, and myself at that age.
Old 21-12-2010, 14:15   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerequisite View Post
Wow, either you're really looking for a reason to not like the parents or didn't spend much time in boat yards as a kid! The parents were there- I presumed at the time that they all lived aboard. It was a while ago, but I seem to remember the parents working on the boat most of the time- just like I was. The kids kept themselves busy riding their bikes or running around the yard and neighborhood (a very safe place)- just like I remember doing as a kid. The always passed a polite wave or "hello" when they'd whiz by my boat or the mast rack where I was spending a lot of time. I only remember them at all because my wife and I were impressed by the boat and the kids reminded me of my brother, sister, and myself at that age.
Um, I know absolutely nothing about the parents and that's why I asked the question. You volunteered that the kids seemed personable, which would tend to indicate some sort of contact. I simply wondered how such occurred with the kids and not the parents. I'm not in the habit of commenting on, nor passing jugdement upon, people I've never met - nor know anything about.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 21-12-2010, 15:06   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i am betting the soul on board for child care is put off before a month as the mommy (LOL) wont like what the nanny not paid is teaching the kids or how the kids respond to the nanny not paid...isnt the KIDS i protest to--is there MOM AND DAD who cant be bothered to teach their own kids. just because they paid to much for a boat, they havent money for a proper nanny and the nanny they had didnt wanna go on this "dangerous!omg imagonnna die"
trip LOL.
ok lets do the betting.....
anyone ever been put off a cruise sailboat due to lack of money>> after bein gpromised ye didnt need any , and after having filled the larder with foods so that is why yer outta dough???i have.isnt fun to have to make way home without any recourse. not all folks who put ye off the boat realize it is on the owner of the boat yer sailing to pay your way home after leaving ye on a foreign soil' \
this is about alot more than just child care and negligent parents and selfishness.it is about international and maritime laws and leaving folks out in strange places- whoever is the child teach is GOING to be left off somewhere...mom get jealous of rapport with unpaid nanny--"off the boat, bitch--NOW"....go figger, moms are weird--wont raise their kids but when they ask someone else to do it-- they get pissy..
Old 21-12-2010, 15:07   #40

Anyway, let's agree that nobody is attacking anyone and that there is no question that intonation is always lost in text.

Back to the thread, I still think it's a good deal for the right person while not being right for everyone. Like selling a house, you can advertise it for any price you want but that doesn't mean it will sell. Cruising the world in a boat like that is certainly a privilege and the 'cost' might be worthwhile to some.
Old 21-12-2010, 15:18   #41

From my experience, Mom and Dad are usually looking for someone who can teach the math/science areas. Not to infer that it is only liberal arts majors who make all of the money and buy the boats....
So instead of cooking or cleaning , you tutor the material Mom and Dad don't understand.
and I don't think one would have to stand watches in port, so a night life would be possible. I'd probably stay out partying till at least 9 pm!
If the bet is big enough, I'll take the job and show it can be done.
Old 21-12-2010, 15:24   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
too true zeehag,most of our nannys left after a few months because.
a)couldnt handle living on a boat.
b) realised they could be doing the same thing on a super yacht and getting paid upwards of $2000 a month.
c) fell in love with one of the paying crew and went off travelling with them.
d)fell in love with the skipper and wife chucked them off the boat before.........
e) they were totally useless.
can go on to zed
Old 21-12-2010, 15:24   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i think to make the job be a decent venture that getting to know entire family well in advance is most important--so momma doesnt feel threatened by the feelings the kids get for th e unpaid nanny--is natural for kids to like or dislike their teachers-- whoever they may be--and if liked, many mommas dont like the teach.lol... be safe and get to know the dynamics of the family and the people BEFORE going to sea with them. make sure they wont let you off in b.f.egypt without resources to return to someplace to find either another ride or trip home. that has been my concern on this situation.

btw--i wasnt interested in this position for me-i have my own crew needs to attend to--i HAVE experienced being put off a sail cruise boat because the guy was into my pocket instead of into the cruising.
Old 21-12-2010, 15:31   #44

"be safe and get to know the dynamics of the family and the people BEFORE going to sea with them. "
There have been so many boats where I failed to do this, and paid the price...at least it was never MY boat that got broken.
Old 22-12-2010, 17:25   #45
Marine Service Provider

As a boat owner I love the aspect of NEW Crew joining me on any adventure...it adds a spark to life..nothing wrong with current friends, but I often say no to them so I can seek out new shipmates...and I have no problem doing a complete voyage/project/adventure budget, maitinance, insurance, fuel, food, capital DEPRECIATION of Generators and the entire boat, sat comms, Desalinator membranes etc..it all adds up to a huge $$ amount...then split that by the number of the crew and see who wants to come!!..share the experience and the cost!...never a shortage of good people to choose from and they have always felt part of the team and take some "ownership" in the voyage..they are part of it and great friendships evolve....

The good part about cruising is that there are just so many ways to do it!..in your own little contessa 26 as king or queen of the world..or as part of an exciting team on a mega yacht...get paid to do it by someone else and do as you are told...or do your own thing or anything in between...All fun.

I am looking for pirates for A Pacific Treasure hunt here on CF and in the first couple of days had some really interesting people apply!..they will contribute $2000 a month...not for everyone...but that is life..all about freedom of choice, expression and adventure . The Nordia Van Dam 68 sounds like some boat...they will get their crew..and I am sure they will all have the time of their life! which is what you make of it...

At 55 I don't have kids!..so that one is NOT for me!!

Tags
school