Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2011, 13:50   #1

Boat: hillyard 36ft sloop
Competent Crew (Certified) - Man Needs More Experience !

Hi there my name is Phil and I am a man arts teacher at Moranbah high school and just arrived from NZ. My plan is to work and save here until I have enough money to buy a westsail 32..or similar. I would love the chance to do some crewing on anything with sails, I have 6wks hols coming up at xmas and am prepared to pay my way, fuel, food, carpentry work etc to get out to sea. Planning to head down the coast to sydney around xmas, but quite flexible!
my email is; philbaptiste*at*hotmail*dot*com and mobile is 0437429794
Old 14-09-2011, 09:25   #2

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia
Re: Competent Crew (Certified) - Man Needs More Experience !

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail32 View Post
Hi there my name is Phil and I am a man arts teacher at Moranbah high school and just arrived from NZ. My plan is to work and save here until I have enough money to buy a westsail 32..or similar. I would love the chance to do some crewing on anything with sails, I have 6wks hols coming up at xmas and am prepared to pay my way, fuel, food, carpentry work etc to get out to sea. Planning to head down the coast to sydney around xmas, but quite flexible!
my email is; philbaptiste*at*hotmail*dot*com and mobile is 0437429794
Phil, check at yacht clubs and marinas as you go, put a notice on their boards about youself. Good luck! I sailed a Westsail around the world for 6 yrs, good, safe, dependable and not slow either!

Cheers
Old 14-09-2011, 13:16   #3

Boat: hillyard 36ft sloop
Re: Competent Crew (Certified) - Man Needs More Experience !

hi again, as you are a westsail fan, what do you think of this cannon seas mist that is for sale? pics are on yachtworld ref 40064-216411..its cheaper than westsail, but has ferro hull?!...phil
Click on image to enlarge
32' Cannon Sea Mist
Year: 1990
Current Price: US$ 26,900
Located In Gordonville, TX
Hull Material: Ferro-Cement
Engine/Fuel Type: Single diesel
YW# 40064-2163411
Get a shipping estimate
Zip Code: Calculate

Photo Gallery
Full Specs
Contact Broker
Finance It
Insure It

Other photos: Underway, Tandem Vincitur, Photo 4, Photo 5, Photo 6, Photo 7, Photo 8, Photo 9, Photo 10, Photo 11, Photo 12, Photo 13, Photo 14, Photo 15, Photo 16, Photo 17, Photo 18, Photo 19, Photo 20, Photo 21, Photo 22, Galley, Instruments, Dinette, Photo 26, Photo 27, Photo 28, Photo 29.

Trades Considered. 32ft. Samson Seamist, The Seller will consider trades.
This is a moderate to heavy displacement double ended cutter able to cruise the world in safety and comfort. Designed after the renouned Colin Archer North Sea lifeboats. It is very close in design and specs to the Westsail 32 but with a taller rig for better performance. The boat sails very well in most conditions, placing third in the 2000 Antigua Regatta (Cruising class.) Always a kindly sea motion, never pounding in any condition.
It is powered by a single 35hp Perkins diesel, M-35, that was installed new in 1995 and has been professionally maintained. The engine still performs like new, does not use any oil and is always easy to start. The transmission was replaced in 1999 with a new 3 to 1 ratio Hurth gear box with cooler. The prop is a 13x15 bronze three blade. The sails are Tanbark and in good condition. The roller furling gear is a Profurl NC42, the staysail is self tending and is very handy when the wind increases reefing the main to the 2nd position, no lines to handle when tacking. There is a set of storm sails, never used, trysail and storm jib. The boat is also equipped with Garhauer running backstays. Also, there is 90% Yankee jib, (white Dacron,) and a 3/4 oz. Drifter that works very well in light air conditions. The halyard winches are self tailing and located at the mast.
The boat went through a near complete refit while in Trinidad, was completely sand blasted and recoated with 5 coats of West system epoxy and sealer. The decks were sanded to bare wood and sealed with West Systems epoxy and sealed and painted with 2 part Sikkens Hi-Wave urethane paint in 1999/2000. The bow and stern pulpits are double rail with the stern rails extending past the cockpit, very handy in a seaway.
The Aries windvane can be controlled by either the wind paddle or connected to a tiller pilot, which works very well when winds are fluky. There is a Navico TP-5500 included that needs repair (with remote.) There is also a trim tab on the rudder that enables you to remove weather helm in windy conditions.
The ground tackle consist of a 35lb. Suncor plow (CQR)on 150ft. of 5/8 nylon rode with 30ft. of 5/16 HT chain. A 45 Suncor plow on 175ft. of 5/16 HT chain and a 30lb. Danforth type anchor. The windless is chrome bronze manual 2 speed and works very well. The rode feeds into the below deck lockers.
Below there is a 2 burner Seaward stove, LPG, with oven and broiler. There is a Firce 10 Grill on the stern pulpit. There is a Fridgiboat refrigerator, similar to the Adler Barbour Cold Machine, that works very well, will make ice cubes. The 2-80 watt solar panels that swivel and rotate keep the batteries charged.The capacity of the fridge is 100qts. and has 3-4 inches of insulation all around. The interior cushions recovered in 1999 and have 5 inch HD foam, like new. The trim is solid mahagony with solid wood sole (Canary wood and ash.) The forepeak is very spacious and comfortable, almost queen size. There is chart storage under the side decks in the main salon and forepeak. Plenty of storage throughout the boat. The head is a Groco model KH and works well. There is a 12 gallon holding tank and deck pump out. All Trades considered.

Tags
crew