Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 13:48   #1

Boat: Columbia, 1969, 28ft
Columbia 28 - Sandy Hook - south

I have a 1969 Columbia 28, technically sound and have proven herself already in two storms on the Long Island Sound in the last month.

I was forced to abandon trip south due to emergency surgery, earlier this week. I am not sure what I am planning but wanted to sail by the seat of my pants down south. Anybody else with a relaxed schedule that want to take over. She has a 44gallon fuel tank that is almost full and could motor down south on the ICW if you wish to. She has insurance and Seatow insurance already payed.

She is currently in Sandy Hook but I do not want to leave her there. I will catch up down South and if it means you wish to stay aboard for the winter, we can talk about it.
Old 10-11-2013, 14:30   #2

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5, C&C 31, and Windrider 16
Re: Columbia 28 - Sandy Hook - south

Are you looking for someone to go along with you or take over and get her down there for you?
Old 10-11-2013, 14:56   #3

My sailing plans for at least the next month or two have to be abandoned due to emergency surgery earlier this week. that would mean the person should either solo or get someone to go with, I am ok with it. I am even willing to talk about having someone live aboard her for the winter.
Old 10-11-2013, 20:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonia View Post
My sailing plans for at least the next month or two have to be abandoned due to emergency surgery earlier this week. that would mean the person should either solo or get someone to go with, I am ok with it. I am even willing to talk about having someone live aboard her for the winter.
I'm in the raritain bay... Boat just came out of the water.... I couldn't take it the whole way but could help get it to the top of chesapeake bay if that helps... I'm familiar with that area.. Maybe someone could help move it from there....
Old 10-11-2013, 21:36   #5

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

I understand you'd not want it to sit long in NJ. So I assume you want to proceed ASAP. I would be willing as a 2nd, if a skipper would like some help, but I'm not qualified (yet) to serve as Captain. But I figure extra hands can expedite the trip. I'm working on my six pack and need some more water time. Am self-sufficient and willing to pitch in as appropriate (food etc.). Will PM with CV if this seems a good fit. And my sympathy on the medical challenges, hope all goes well on that front. I would care for your Columbia like she were my own. Oh, almost forgot to ask, you indicate "South", I assume you mean FL, the Keys?. I have a passport, but I wasn't clear if you mean beyond the US waters or if FL somewhere, as that can make a difference with air travel, etc. Hope you get well soon, Best Regards, John
Old 11-11-2013, 03:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR324 View Post
I'm in the raritain bay... Boat just came out of the water.... I couldn't take it the whole way but could help get it to the top of chesapeake bay if that helps... I'm familiar with that area.. Maybe someone could help move it from there....
Chesapeake bay will already help a lot as my main concern is to get it out of the cold to a place where my window of opportunity opens up to still sail south. Do you have any suggestions on where I leave her for a short while?
Old 11-11-2013, 03:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgoodsint View Post
I understand you'd not want it to sit long in NJ. So I assume you want to proceed ASAP. I would be willing as a 2nd, if a skipper would like some help, but I'm not qualified (yet) to serve as Captain. But I figure extra hands can expedite the trip. I'm working on my six pack and need some more water time. Am self-sufficient and willing to pitch in as appropriate (food etc.). Will PM with CV if this seems a good fit. And my sympathy on the medical challenges, hope all goes well on that front. I would care for your Columbia like she were my own. Oh, almost forgot to ask, you indicate "South", I assume you mean FL, the Keys?. I have a passport, but I wasn't clear if you mean beyond the US waters or if FL somewhere, as that can make a difference with air travel, etc. Hope you get well soon, Best Regards, John
Wow I love it when a plan comes together. South means anything away from the cold lol. I am in the fortunate position to be able not to have to abide by a schedule.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:12   #8

Hello Sonia,

I keep my boat in the Nuese river near Oriental NC. Oriental is known as the "sailing capitol of North Carolina". You can find a nice small marina here for as little as $150 a month and you can sail all winter if you don't mind some colder weather. The temps usually dip around freezing at night but usually 50ish during the day. My marina is at the end of the Nuese river and the ICW goes right past there.

It would be a great place to get ready for a hop further south!
Old 11-11-2013, 13:37   #9

Wow I needed some great news, thank you for the info

Can we talk, my number is nine 2 0 three 2 8 four one four one
Old 11-11-2013, 13:40   #10

Talking Re: Columbia 28 - Sandy Hook - south

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR324 View Post
Would you be so kind as to contact me or text me and I will call you back?
nine two 0 3 two 8 four 1 four 1
Old 11-11-2013, 19:44   #11

It is too late to call tonight. I will give you a call tomorrow night after 9 eastern time. (free minutes)
Old 12-11-2013, 05:04   #12

If you want to leave her in the Chesapeake I would recommend getting as far south as you can.

The Hampton Roads area (Norfolk, Portsmouth, Hampton, etc.) has a lot of good marinas. You could also head up the ICW there and leave her at one of the marinas there. Elizabeth City, Belhaven, Washington, Oriental, New Bern are all great choices.

Take a look at www.activecaptain.com , open the interactive charting and you will see reviews and contact information on the marinas that interest you.

Garth
Old 12-11-2013, 05:12   #13

I keep my boat on Broad Creek at the mouth of the Neuse River just inside the Pamlico Sound. The ICW goes right past there and would be great place to shake her down before going further south!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:21   #14

I do not see my replies so going to ask if you guys could plse give me a call, my no is 9 two zero 3 two 8 four one four one
Old 12-11-2013, 07:31   #15

Boat: Valiant 40

I would suggest that if you get someone to take it to the Chessie that you have them continue down to VA, like around Deltaville. A two-three day jaunt from Annapolis, depending on how hard you go. Slips are cheap, hauling and blocking are cheap, if you need to lay her up, and you're a day or two from Norfolk which makes a good staging point.

Downside is that there is not much land-based transportation to get there, so you might want to leave the boat somewhere you can get to by bus if you're going to head on south on the boat.

Tags
columbia