Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 21:43   #1

Boat: N/A
Catalina Islands charter....maybe???

My last attempt for a charter to the Catalina Islands last fall fell through because of a work commitment. My apologies to all those that responded to that forum thread and I didn't respond in return. I've been back home for a few weeks now, and I'm seriously considering a charter out of Long Beach over President's Day weekend. My regular 1st mate couldn't get vacation approved, but I'm still considering a trip. Right now, the plan is for me to arrive very late on 13 February but will be ready to set sail the next morning after my checkout. I am a member of a yacht club in Long Beach, which is obviously where the charter will start and end on 17 February. The plan is to maximize sailing over the long weekend, with at least one night in Avalon, maybe two. This trip isn't set in stone yet, so it may fall through...just so you know. Only serious sailors wanted, and any financial help would be greatly appreciated. It's not cheap to fly from Colorado. I've got a few charters under my belt and I've been to Avalon once before. This trip is intended to do more fine tuning of my sailing skills, but having fun is NOT out of the question. My first choice of sail boats is a 40 footer, so there's room for a few people. I will want to check backgrounds for anyone interested in sailing with me, and I will do likewise. Thanks in advance for contacting me.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:43   #2

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Re: Catalina Islands charter....maybe???

What's your plan for Feb 15 and 16? Sailing or sightseeing?

What's your email address?
Old 02-02-2014, 11:30   #3

Those dates are inclusive. If things work out for this charter, I will depart on 14 February and return on 17 February. Sailing AND sightseeing will be had. Please respond through the forum thread for now. I'm leary about giving out my email right away.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliches13 View Post
Those dates are inclusive. If things work out for this charter, I will depart on 14 February and return on 17 February. Sailing AND sightseeing will be had. Please respond through the forum thread for now. I'm leary about giving out my email right away.
I asked because I'm a member of a large club with lots of members in So. Cal, many of whom routinely sail to Catalina but most would probably be more interested in sailing Saturday and Sunday than sightseeing.

Of course, Valentine's Day could be problematic.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:00   #5

Boat: Wylie 45' Custom

Cliches13,
You might look into charting up the coast in Ventura, Channel Islands, or Santa Barbara. This would allow to access the Northern Islands, and this is where the "Real Cruising" takes plac". There are Charter Companies at all these locations. You can check my blog on my companies web site cip.bz, feel free to PM me for more information, I'm happy to help.
Neal
Old 02-02-2014, 19:46   #6

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Cliches13,
I'm a member of Marina Sailing, which has a location in Long Beach. The charter rates thru March are cheap, especially if you can sail on week days. I prefer the 36-42' fleet, my favorite being a Catalina 400 Mark II.

I'm scheduled for ASA106 on those dates, but would consider having you as a contact for future trips. Check out my "About Me" page to see my sailing resume. Let me know if you're interested splitting a charter.

Enjoy!
Old 02-02-2014, 20:19   #7

Now I understand what you mean. Actually, sailing out of Long Beach was my plan in order to sail on Saturday and Sunday. I'm trying to maximize sailing that weekend, since I don't know when I'll be back to sail. I will stay around the Catalina's and Long Beach in order to do as much sailing as possible. Valentine's Day does nothing for me, so if folks can't make it because of that, I completely understand. Like I stated with the initial thread, I'm not even sure I can afford this trip. Airline tickets for evening flights out of Colorado aren't cheap. I will make a final decision after this coming weekend.
Old 02-02-2014, 20:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb C View Post
Cliches13,
I'm a member of Marina Sailing, which has a location in Long Beach. The charter rates thru March are cheap, especially if you can sail on week days. I prefer the 36-42' fleet, my favorite being a Catalina 400 Mark II.
You single handed La Cometa to Catalina and the wheel fell off and the electronics went out? I raced that boat all last summer in the CYC Sunset Series but never heard about that. Must have been quite a ride.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:56   #9

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

OldFrog75,
It was an adventure for a novice sailor. Pretty little sailboat, but maintenance schedule must have suffered due to being a popular racing/charter boat. Just a few too many times being raced hard on the Wednesday evening beer can circuit, and put away wet. In retrospect, it forced me to learn a lot quickly. Electronic problem was the radar/chart plotter screen was just a jumble of shaking lines about 2 hours into charter. Turning it off/on didn't help. Made my first ever trip through fog a little more stressful. Fortunately, all the wheel pieces stayed onboard, so I was able to reassemble it, but it still had plenty of "play."
Old 03-02-2014, 12:12   #10

Quote:
OldFrog75,
It was an adventure for a novice sailor. Pretty little sailboat, but maintenance schedule must have suffered due to being a popular racing/charter boat. Just a few too many times being raced hard on the Wednesday evening beer can circuit, and put away wet. In retrospect, it forced me to learn a lot quickly. Electronic problem was the radar/chart plotter screen was just a jumble of shaking lines about 2 hours into charter. Turning it off/on didn't help. Made my first ever trip through fog a little more stressful. Fortunately, all the wheel pieces stayed onboard, so I was able to reassemble it, but it still had plenty of "play."
Chart plotter started acting up last summer but I don't know if it was before or after your trip. Never had any problem with the wheel. I assume you included both in your discrepancy report.

I sent you an email about Ensenada via MS message board.

To everyone else, sorry to have hijacked the thread. Now back to "Catalina Island Charter Crew Wanted...."
Old 08-02-2014, 19:01   #11

Well, another charter opportunity lost. I bit off more than I could chew and the timing was bad. I will not be heading to Long Beach for President's Day weekend. However...my good friend and I have already reserved airline tickets for Memorial Day weekend. We are cautiously planning on sailing from 23 to 26/27 May. This will be my first charter during season, instead of the cooler months. I will update the post as time goes on. At least this time I gave myself over 3 months to set up this trip, then once we arrive...we will sail wherever we want. Thanks for being patient with me. I'm still new to this. Calm seas!!!
Old 10-02-2014, 15:16   #12

Boat: Macgregor 21

Quote:
Cliches13,

I'm scheduled for ASA106 on those dates, but would consider having you as a contact for future trips. Check out my "About Me" page to see my sailing resume. Let me know if you're interested splitting a charter.

Enjoy!

I've looked at Marina Sailing on-line and I'm very interested in it. Has your experience been good? Living in Arizona, it isn't always possible to get to the coast regularly and that makes the expense of maintaining a boat/slip/etc. in LA or San Diego somewhat daunting.

Joining Marina Sailing and chartering probably makes more sense economically and I'm very interested in your experiences with them.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo1 View Post
I've looked at Marina Sailing on-line and I'm very interested in it. Has your experience been good? Living in Arizona, it isn't always possible to get to the coast regularly and that makes the expense of maintaining a boat/slip/etc. in LA or San Diego somewhat daunting.

Joining Marina Sailing and chartering probably makes more sense economically and I'm very interested in your experiences with them.
I sent you a PM...rsvp for further info.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:48   #14

I joined Marina Sailing recently, but I've not chartered with them yet. I have talked with someone there twice already, and they've been very helpful with my questions. I'm getting a better feeling about this yacht club than the one I was with for almost a year down in San Diego. I cancelled that membership last November. I decided to go with Marina Sailing because of advice given to me by a few friends, and a few folks I met in Avalon. They all had nice things to say about them. I feel pretty good about my decision.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliches13 View Post
I joined Marina Sailing recently, but I've not chartered with them yet. I have talked with someone there twice already, and they've been very helpful with my questions. I'm getting a better feeling about this yacht club than the one I was with for almost a year down in San Diego. I cancelled that membership last November. I decided to go with Marina Sailing because of advice given to me by a few friends, and a few folks I met in Avalon. They all had nice things to say about them. I feel pretty good about my decision.
That's the group I wanted to forward your email to but sounds like you already connected. Welcome aboard. I think you'll be pleased. Now that you're a member you can post crew calls on their message board.

Tags
catalina, catalina island, charter