Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2015, 09:41   #1

Boat: Prout Quest 31
Carolinas to Florida Oct-Nov 2015

Ocean experienced Crew wanted for coastal ocean sailing. We are delivering our Prout 31 sail catamaran from Morehead City NC to West Palm beach FL. I have ample experience skippering this boat in the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays but no ocean experience. The boat is well equipped new furling genoa, rebuilt yanmar, all the comforts of home. drafts 2'8". Towboat insured just in case! I'm accompanied by my first mate/wife. We are 50ish, relaxed, fun.

You may join anywhere between Morehead city and Charleston SC, your return can be anywhere from Jacksonville to West Palm. We expect to take 2-3 weeks, anchoring mostly and taking a marina slip every 3-4 days or as needed. If the conditions aren't right we'll stick to the ICW.

We pay all boat related expenses, you pay your personal food, travel.

Old 16-09-2015, 10:55   #2

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore
Re: Carolinas to Florida Oct-Nov 2015

Don't notice any replies to your offer here yet. Maybe some of us think that when we're 60 miles offshore helping someone else, without offshore experience, move their boat-- that at least some food provisioning is a "boat related expense," especially in the absence of any pay. In any case, good luck. Pappy
Old 16-09-2015, 11:26   #3

Boat: Prout Quest 31

Thanks for the advice, Pappy. I'm not looking for a delivery captain, just accompaniment for peace of mind and camaraderie. We anticipate a well provisioned galley and communal meals aboard but I would ask the joining crew to pay for their restaurant meals ashore and any personal food provisions they'd like.

I'd also prefer to anchor at night but not sure how practical this is being first time on this route. If there are "legs" that can be completed in a day and ending back inside a sheltered anchorage I'll be looking for them. Also coming at the end of hurricane season may not get outside at all.

Almost every sailor I talk to about offshore tells me "just do it - you're well prepared." I'd just feel better with an offshore experienced person aboard and we have the room.
Old 16-09-2015, 21:16   #4

Boat: Columbia 57
Carolinas to Florida Oct-Nov 2015

I have over 5000 miles logged offshore, including a transatlantic as 1st mate on a lagoon 620, I am located in Sc. Have done the icw plenty of times. CV available but I do ask for a stipend. Anyone who isn't wet behind the ears will usually do the same. Sounds like a fun trip. If you are interested please send me a PM.
Thanks,
Dylan

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-09-2015, 08:04   #5

I'm an old guy (70+), but still can solo my Catalina 30 by myself. Have done two Cape May to Lauderdale trips in a 40+' Fountain Pujot. First time was all on the outside and second time we ran the Intercoastal all the way from Norfolk to Beaufort. Don't mind coastal sailing, but the Gulf Stream can cause lots of problems. Would be available the latter part of October.
Old 17-09-2015, 09:01   #6

Boat: PDQ 44i

It's a good trip. Anybody can do it on the ICW. If you have a seaworthy boat and good weather, you can do Cape Fear to St Augustine in 48 hours offshore and stay inside the Gulf Stream. Cape May to Cape Fear is nice on the ICW or you can do that leg outside, too, in good weather.
Old 19-09-2015, 01:56   #7

Interested. Atlantic offshore experienced, Long Island to Charleston. Charlestown to Tortola. 4p yrs experience. Resume available.
Old 22-09-2015, 16:37   #8

Hi-I just saw your post. When are you looking to leave? I am a 48 year athletic woman looking to gain some sea hours. I plan on leaving Florida headed for ther Panama canal and onto the South Pacific in the spring. I have sailed on 34 ketch mostly on the ICW in the Clearwater, Fl.
Old 22-09-2015, 19:28   #9

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappysSailing View Post
Don't notice any replies to your offer here yet. Maybe some of us think that when we're 60 miles offshore helping someone else, without offshore experience, move their boat-- that at least some food provisioning is a "boat related expense," especially in the absence of any pay. In any case, good luck. Pappy
Agreed! If I want crew for experience or even just for company, the least I would do would be to feed them.
I have the experience that you need, but I don't think I want to go off shore on a Cat. Just me, but if my boat turns turtle I want it to right itself again.
Old 24-09-2015, 08:32   #10

I'd love to go. Time frame is sort of important for me. I'm 65 retired school supt lots of sailing experience. Easy going and would love to do the entire trip.

Mike
Old 29-09-2015, 09:23   #11

Got your email reply asking for a call. Left a message with my phone and email address and never heard back so I am guessing that you found your crew.

Tags
florida