Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2012, 20:31   #1

Caribbean: what island do I have most chances of finding people looking for crew?

Hello,

Can someone please help me out?

I am planning a trip to the Caribbean with the exclusive goal of serving as a crew for around 7-30 days.

If I departure to the Caribbean without having found a boat that needs me, is it easy to find a boat there right on the spot that is looking for crew?

What island do I have the largest chance of finding someone in need for crew?

Thanks,
Erik
Old 20-05-2012, 03:42   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Caribbean: what island do I have most chances of finding people looking for crew?

Hi, Erik.

If you're talking about right now, many boats have already departed for their hurricane season destinations (Trinidad, Grenada, Rio Dulce, East Coast US). They normally head north from St Thomas, Tortola or St Martin/St Maarten, some from Antigua, in early May. If going south, they just work their way down through the islands during May and June.

Finding a berth will be mostly a stroke of luck if you're just walking the docks. I think you'd be better off checking the various Internet crew-seeker sites and contacting the skippers directly.

And just a caution--you'll find it hard impossible to fly in to any of the islands with a one-way airline ticket, unless you have a letter from a boat captain stating that he will be responsible for your transportation off the island. Otherwise, you'll need to have a return flight booked. The C&I folks will also want to know where you plan to stay on the island (hotel or whatever), and will definitely raise their eyebrows if you say, "I don't know yet, but I'm looking to find a boat that will take me on as crew."

Best of luck.
Old 14-06-2012, 06:26   #3

Re: Caribbean: what island do I have most chances of finding people looking for crew?

Key West is an Island. Headed for Isla Mujeres and on to Guatamale, Rio Dulce. Yes I'm late leaving. Wife and I traveled fro South Texas to here. But, the wife decided to fly the rest of the way.
36' Islander, sloop. Looking for 2 people. 3 to 4 days to Isla. 2 to 3 weeks to Rio Dulce. Love snorkeling. Waiting for next weather window.
Jack
Old 19-06-2012, 15:19   #4

From Puerto RIco to Colombia in a Venture 33. If interested send me a note. jcsscs at hotmail.com

Departing June 27, 2012

Regards

Karibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by etheuer View Post
Hello,

Can someone please help me out?

I am planning a trip to the Caribbean with the exclusive goal of serving as a crew for around 7-30 days.

If I departure to the Caribbean without having found a boat that needs me, is it easy to find a boat there right on the spot that is looking for crew?

What island do I have the largest chance of finding someone in need for crew?

Thanks,
Erik

Tags
Caribbean, crew