Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 05:00   #1
mct

Boat: catamaran, 50'
Cape Town>St Martin December 2012

Hiya all

Last leg of a circumnavigation is 5800nm from cape town to st martin with possible stopover in St Helena. It’s a 49ft catameringue, Privilege 495. Shared costs, pay you own flites to/from the boat. This is the boat’s 12th Atlantic crossing, my 11th. I already have two young guys 20’s flying in as crew but 5 is an ideal number, so this is a good opportunity for 2 more people to do have a go at some offshore catamaran sailing. Likely leaving date is 4/5th December. All the safety gear and I even have an offshore-capable christmas tree...

blog at Mojomo - Matt
Old 21-11-2012, 03:52   #2

Re: Cape Town>St Martin December 2012

Hi would be v interested can you let me have more info?
Old 21-11-2012, 05:09   #3
mct

More information, um, ok ... altho there’s actually a massive qty of info on that blog? But anyways, more info below

This will be the boats 12th transatlantic crossing in 6 years since launch late 2006 and my 11th with this boat - i bough the boat off the first owner who discoverted he hated it.

Loads of safety gear: the boat has safety gear somewhat above RORC standards ie defibrillator, AIS B and C, AIS personal transponders, and so on.

It’s a cruise but we’ll still push along. I will fly parasailor spinnakers 24/7 so don’t come if flying spinnakers at night is a freakout for you. Our max speed will likely touch 20knots, target is 200nm/day, so again, don’t come if this isn’t your sort of sailing.

It’s not a commercial venture but it’s not a charity either, nor do I really *need* crew, so I charge $15 a day for crew people being on the boat which includes everything except flites to/from the boat and your expenses ashore.

I can answer any queries if you email me at noteasytoremember which is on the hotmail server, and it’s a dot com address.

At some point crew need to answer these questions...

1 What other stuff do you do? tell me bit more about yourself

2 If it was your turn to cook - what would you make for lunch and dinner?
You need a few ideas - we share cooking

3 What's the fastest you've ever been on a sailing boat? We might touch
20knots max, and will want to aim for sailing 10knots as often as possible.
You ok with that? What other slightly speedy/scary sports have you done -
ski-ing? motorbikes?

4 Do you smoke? If you plan on smoking or stopping smoking on this trip,
please don't come.

5 I need to know if there is anything medical or dietary particular
that others might need to know. Allergies to types of food, medicines you
take, anything. Let me know?

6 Money: Crew pay for their travel to and from the boat and share food
costs. We'll all pitch in with shopping help, but it's likely that the boat
will be at least partly provisioned by the time new crew arrive. So, crew
contribution is $15 per day whilst living on board, whether in port or at
sea. You pay your costs ashore, and any "special" stuff like your personal
stash of chocolate etc. You pay flites to/from the boat. You don't pay any
boatfixing or marina or fuel costs.

7 We might use some wine for cooking, perhaps open a bottle of fizz when
crossing the Equator, but otherwise we don't much drink alcohol at sea.
Don't even think of bringing any illegal drugs to the boat.
Old 21-11-2012, 09:56   #4

I have sent you a message, please let me know if you haven't received it
Old 24-11-2012, 13:28   #5

Good day!

I have 3 years experience working on veriouse positions on a ship. I have worked as a pot washer, assistant stewart, able seaman and MateDeckhand. I am a fast learner and I’m willing to tackle any thing that comes up in a professional manner.I graduated Ukraine Marine College in 2009 and now,I’m stady in Odessa National Marine Academy .
I'm interested a full time position. I'm a very serious seaman.If you give me opportunity I will prove myself to you,becouse I want to grow with the company and grow professionaly.
My salary expectations are open, but I will prove to you that I will become a valuable asset to the company and I hope you will reward my work.
Certificate of Competency: OOW Unlimited(valid:02/10/2014)
All Certificates for: Officer in charge of a navigation watch on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more: Navigator regarding STCW 95.Qualified in accordance with the provisions of regulation II/1..
Current Location - FT LOUDERDALE , Neptune Grope Crew House SE,21 str.
Visas: C1/D,B1B2, Australian
Mob: 706 305 5603

Sincerely yours,
Lebedynskyy Mykyta
Mob: (706)305 5603
Email: Neket_@mail.ru
Old 24-11-2012, 14:02   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I know the owner and I know the boat and their voyage.

This IMHO is the best crewing job goin in the world.

Cape Town to the Caribbean is one of the worlds great downwind ocean passages.

The boat is huge, modern and totally up to date with satelite crap and stuff.
The owner is a youngish English, almost eccentrically funny man, who will teach people what he wants and how things are best done.

The crews he has had over the last 15,000 miles or so have often been female and they have enjoyed his boat and his teaching methods.

If you want lots of ocean miles, and are intelligent, fun and outgoing I reckon you would adore this passage.

Go for it.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 24-11-2012, 19:06   #7

To bad it's not January!
Old 25-11-2012, 08:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sunseeker Manhattan 66'
Send a message via Skype™ to willoloo

Hi, i'm Willy, i'm now here in cape town, and i'm looking for a passage to caribbean.
I had stcw, rya yachtmaster ocean, eng 1 and lot of experience,
i'm a good cook.
Departing in 4/5 dec for me will be great, let me know!
Old 25-11-2012, 09:41   #9
mct

hiya willy, email me on the hotmail server. .com account in the name of noteasytoremember

matt

edit : wow look at that, personal recommendation by the legendary MarkJ, not bad eh? This thread oughta have a special icon “recommended by MarkJ"
Old 25-11-2012, 10:07   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
I wasn't sure Mark was still alive out there.....

Hope you guys are well, and 2nd to Mark's post about Matt and his boat.
Old 25-11-2012, 10:37   #11
mct

yo there other Mark. Small world eh? I’m in London for a few days catching up on friends and family stuff. Also building up my confidence for the latest loon spinnaker experiences - a new Parasailor, but 188sqm so 20% bigger than the last one...
Old 26-11-2012, 03:35   #12
mct

update - i need just ONE more now - 2phil from further up the thread is coming so that’s 4. Willy and the guy who thinks he’s in Ft Louderdale (!) are not coming...
Old 29-11-2012, 07:37   #13

Matt - am in Ft.Lauderdale -came hear from Toronto Canada to help a friend (who planned to purchase a 46 cat) equip/help sail this catamaran through a circumnavigation.unfortunately for my friend the puchase of this boat is going to be delayed for a number of months I am a recently retired (53 years young) guy with a mechanical/trades/engineering background who has an academic side (avid reader),loves adventure (rode my motorcycle from Toronto to southern mexico & spent 5 months exploring last winter), easygoing with a good sense of humor.
The kicker - although i have completed the CYA sailing course i am at best a novice/intermediate sailor with only a few days of cat sailing experience. speed & rough &tumble don't worry me though. i can pay my way to the boat & have no problem with boat expenses you mention. am a responsible down to earth guy looking for fun adventurous days, who thinks i can contribute to the rest of the crew having an ever better experience with myself along. if you think you might be willing to take a chance send a message back my way. Good sailing!

Barry Medwid
email barrymedwid@hughes.net
Old 30-11-2012, 01:15   #14
mct

barry - yes, i think you could come along. In fact, i bet you’d be really good.

Secretly, I can tell you that these long passages are NOT about loadsa sailing skills - they are far more about getting along and looking after each other than amazing sailing skills. We need to progress vagule North and west and only in the final few hours/day get it all perfect about where exaccerly to land. Also the weather is benign, too.

These trips are also about keeping things working - maintaining and/or fixing stuff - and hence your mech/tech skills wd be a powerful asset.

This isn’t to say tht sailing skills are irrelevant. But the hardest bit about pure sailing is to make your sailing boat go a teensy bit faster than all the others if they were exactly the same- like in a race. Which this isn’t.

Far more important is that we end up wherever we do end up with the very same number of people with which we set out. Actually , that’s the most important thing. Second most important thing is to get there with people unharmed. Third is to arrive where we were aiming for, and with boat in lowest possible numbers of separate pieces as possible. And final thing is to have a good time, for most if not all of the time. In 11 transats this has always been achieved.

I will send msg to yr email adress as well

matt
Old 30-11-2012, 10:30   #15
mct

rien ne va plus

thanks all - barry booked his flite and arrives sunday. Phil further up the thread arrives Monday. Special thanks to the MarkJ and kiltym, ace virtual press gang

There is enuf info for people to follow things here if they want, and i spose we will blog along as we always do

I’m taking five cos it’s a good number for relaxed cruising: a nice watch system is 3 hours on, 6 hours off, and each crew member then cycles thru the all the watches in three days, followed by a day of being “mom” and making food and a full night recovery sleep no watches, plus skip always available to be called, a permanent spare/filler/dogsbody for helping out or just writing foolish blogs.

cheers all, what a fab site

Tags
cape town