Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2012, 00:42   #1

Boat: Journeyman
Cape Horn and Falklands - November 2012 - Jan 2013

Starting from Piriapolis, Uruguay about mid November, duration about 2 months. Ending in Ushuaia, Argentina. See http://journeyman.se for more info and contacts!

/jesper
Old 20-06-2012, 11:58   #2

Re: Cape Horn and Falklands - November 2012 - Jan 2013

$850 per week or 550EU per week is not (IN MY OPINOIN) cost sharing. That sounds like charter or sailing school prices. Expense sharing might be more like $5 - $20 per day and would possibly even include a bottle of wine with dinner as food and drink are relatively inexpensive in that part of the world. Where does the other $830 per week go?
Old 20-06-2012, 15:09   #3

Yeah right, and operating the yacht is zero cost, right? Will you bring new sails when you come on board next time if the old ones are worn out? Or pay the damages when you hit that expensive GRP motoryacht in the next harbour?

Check the cost for liability insurance around Cape Horn, and the price per NM of a full sail inventory before posting such nonsense.
Old 20-06-2012, 15:27   #4

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

He was stating his opinion. That what forums are for. Obviously you have very large costs Sailing such an expensive boat. If you can get people to cough up that amount of cash to pay your costs good luck to you. But come on not many on this forum can afford $3000 to 4000 a month in cruising costs on their own boats!!!! So don't be surprised if the odd responder questions your costing. Good luck with your venture commercial or otherwise.
Old 20-06-2012, 15:50   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

If you're looking for crew JesperWe, that's one thing and does not warrant asking for wear and tear on your yacht. $850 a week is "for hire" wages. I'm not even sure how ethical that is on this forum, you not signed up as a vendor.
I'm just saying but you're asking for crew to do all crew duties. My offshore crew was paid by me, airfare and I supplied the food.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-06-2012, 16:29   #6

Well, what can I say... the costs are based on very real operating costs and an assumption of some kind of average number of people per NM on the yacht.

Usually people who come to sail with me are express thanks that I put my project together, and enabled them to experience the ocean and uncommon destinations at a very reasonable price (for example compared to chartering a yacht on their own).

I couldn't do that unless people were prepared to share the actual costs, and I'm very sure no one has ever referred to that as unethical before.
Old 20-06-2012, 17:49   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

You probably have researched this, but are you aware that:
  • All vessels intending to sail to or from the Falklands, South Georgia and South Orkneys must apply for and obtain permission from the Argentine government or they will be fined $7000USD upon arrival in Argentina, or risk impoundment of vessel. All vessels must apply, cruisers or charter vessels. Fines are even applied for reasons of Force Majeure.
  • No vessel may breach the terms of their conditions of entry into the country by using their boats for commercial activities while in Argentina.
  • If a yacht is deemed to be chartering in Argentina waters by Customs, they are liable to a fine of 30% of the value of the vessel. Remember, even if you make a voyage in Argentina waters with people paying costs aboard, you could then be construed to be a charter vessel.

(info from noonsite)

So, with the amount of $850 a week, it is not your determination, but Argentinean customs determination as to you being considered a charter.

That's a heavy fine on a vessel you have indicated is worth EUR 950 000.

But as I say, I am sure you were fully cognizant of all of these issues.
Old 20-06-2012, 18:50   #8

Sounds like you need to raise the cost sharing a little mi boy!
Old 21-06-2012, 08:10   #9

Jesper-

It is my belief - although I have never taken a formal survey - that most people on this site looking for a crew position are not looking to pay $850 per week or $3,400 per month to sail somewhere no matter how nice the boat or how wonderful the destination.

If you are running into GRP motoryachts then maybe you shouldn't be out there and if a crewmember hits a yacht they shouldn't be out the helm. Ultimately the control of your vessel is your responsibility as skipper of that vessel.

As for expenses, I think most countries would consider you a charter type vessel if they knew the amount that you were charging per week. Your posting would be better off in the back of National Geographic Traveler magazine or Conde Nast.

It only sounds like it might not be a charter since you are going to have the crew 'work' while onboard!

Not nonsense but a real world outlook on what you are doing and what my fellow crew seekers might be looking for. I only share this since I happened to click on your website only to be shocked to find that you were charging that amount per week or per month and, as I said, most of us on here looking for crew positions are not looking to pay those amounts (not even including airfare, entry/exit fees and drinks). I don't doubt that folks that join you return with lasting memories and have an overall wonderful experience I just don't think this is the appropriate place to advertise for paying crew. I'm with CelestialSailor where most crewing that I have done the boat provides for food and non-alcoholic drink and I don't pay for insurance, wear and tear on the sails, etc. Sometimes I pay to fly to and from the boat and once I paid a small per diem (it was less than $25 per day) for hanging around the BVI's.
Old 21-06-2012, 11:25   #10

Ladies and gents before commenting further please go to this guys website (listed above)

He is clearly trying to help fund his trip.. He is running his boat like a Bed and Breakfast.

Can we stop commenting so that this nonsence will not keep appering ontop of the forum!

Kind Regards
Old 21-06-2012, 13:54   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
Ladies and gents before commenting further please go to this guys website (listed above)

He is clearly trying to help fund his trip.. He is running his boat like a Bed and Breakfast.

Can we stop commenting so that this nonsence will not keep appering ontop of the forum!

Kind Regards
With only 2 posts, you would not be aware that when "crew wanted" posts come that are disguised as a passenger wanted ad, questions will arise.

The OP has made it clear that although he is not calling it such, that he is in fact running a charter operation, and posters object to that.

Please become familiar with the forum's culture. It is a great forum, operating under the principle of "be nice". It does a good job of that.
Old 22-06-2012, 17:57   #12

Jasper good luck getting Rich dudes to pay for your boat. But be upfront about it rather than this charade of crews wishing to share costs. If this was not a nice forum the replies would be somewhat different.
Old 13-07-2012, 22:49   #13

I SHOULD NOT BE WASTING MY TIME, BUT PEOPLE HERE ARE TRYING TO GIVE YOU A HINT. I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A RESPONSE IN CONCERT AGAINST YOUR "TAXI CAB" IN NEW YORK ATTITUDE. iT SADDENS THAT YOU ARE ALLOWED TO POST ON THIS FORUM. YOU ARE "ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE" THAT SAILORS AROUND THE WORLD WILL SAY IN DISMAY, YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE WHAT THIS PERSON WAS ASKING CREW TO PAY.

Post the name of you vessel so we may all buy you a beer if seen in port.

Tags
falklands