Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 14:23   #1

Boat: Oyster 80
Send a message via Skype™ to suzanne
Capable deckhand

We are sailing around the Balearic Isles (Spain) during the month of July and as we are not as young and fit as in the past, require some onboard help. We have an Oyster 80 and will have friends on board some of the time. Some days will be spent relaxing around the many bays and some days we will be sailing between the islands. My husband has over 45 years sailing experience and this is the seventh year we have sailed the med. Would prefer sailing experience on a large yacht - own onsuite cabin.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:29   #2

Re: Capable deckhand

Hello, my name is lizzie and I am hoping to sail all summer!
I have worked within a sailing project for nearly 3 years to teach crews how to sail 62-75ft yachts. I also now train the teachers! I worked on a sailing weekend training the new watch leaders in the project.
I love being crew though and I love hard work and getting stuck in, I would love to sail in the med. In the project we sail from southampton over to france and channel islands and I have sailed in the baltic last summer in the tall ships races but I would like to sail somewhere hotter!
In the races I sailed a 68ft oyster called Rona II and it was from finland to estonia, latvia and poland which was an amazing experience.
I am very enthusiastic, motivated and passionate about sailing. I am working towards my day skipper and I would love the opportunity to sail with you!

If you need any more information about me it may be easier to email me on elizabethwalton@live.co.uk,

Kindest regards,
Lizzie
Old 06-05-2014, 15:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
We are sailing around the Balearic Isles (Spain) during the month of July and as we are not as young and fit as in the past, require some onboard help. We have an Oyster 80 and will have friends on board some of the time. Some days will be spent relaxing around the many bays and some days we will be sailing between the islands. My husband has over 45 years sailing experience and this is the seventh year we have sailed the med. Would prefer sailing experience on a large yacht - own onsuite cabin.
Do you still require a deckhand for July 2014?

Kind regards,
Lizzie
Old 06-05-2014, 15:41   #4

Hi Lizzie

Yes we do, sorry I didn't see your earlier response. Do you mind us asking how old you are and where you are located.

This is a working holiday and we need someone who can help us maintain the boat as well as experience in sailing. Some days we may just stay put and others we may be on the move so a bit of a mixture.

Kind regards

Suzanne
Old 07-05-2014, 00:07   #5

Hi Suzanne,

I am based in the North West of the UK, but I will be sailing to Morbihan in France and will be there from around the end of June this summer. I am 18, I know I am young but I am plenty fit and healthy! I'm a hard worker and sure i could keep the boat in order!

Cheers,
Lizzie
Old 09-05-2014, 11:08   #6

Suzanne, where are you sailing from, Barcelona? More importantly, if I were to sail with you, where could you pick me up?
Old 09-05-2014, 13:19   #7

We will be around the Balearics, so would pick up and drop off from Palma.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:11   #8

Suzanne, thanks for the info. I would be interested in sailing with you, if you haven't already found someone.

I am a U.S. white male age 52 with 40+ years of sailing. Very fit and in good health. Don't smoke. I grew up in Florida on the water, and have sailed most of my life. I currently live in Tortola, semi-retired, and have plenty of time on my hands. I'm just looking for a little recreation, and sailing.

Also, I can easily pay my way, so that is not a issue.

Mark
Old 10-05-2014, 20:11   #9

Mark

Please contact us direct on edconc@bigpond.com

Thanks
Suzanne
Old 11-05-2014, 17:18   #10
cruiser

Hi. My name is Dean. I have broken into sailing feet first. Let me explain. I have been a first mate on line boats pushing barges up and down the Ohio, Mississippi and Tennessee rivers and even have more then enough hours at the wheel to be a captain on a line boat if I like. (I do not choose to). I can fix about anything That breaks. I have worked on everything from buildings to space shuttles to battle ships for the navy. I am no know it all because I am still learning every day. I started looking into sailboats about 20 years ago. Last December I found a few dozen I like and could afford. In January I found one and went to buy it in Colonial Beach, VA. The woman gave it to me. Fantastic. This kid in Long Island called and he was responding to my interest in his boat. I explained I had just got one. He came way down so we went on to New York where I have my second sailboat. Several days on board it cleaning rewiring doing things to it I got a call. This guy in DC I had emailed in December had just got back to me. I explained that it was to late and I have 2 sailboats already. Well Charlestown, Maryland Was on the way back home to North Carolina any way so I went by to see what he had. He drove from DC to show the sailboat. I spent several days cleaning it rewiring it doing basic repairs then had to get my fanny home to make some more money to start the journey of getting them ship shape. Well back to Charlestown I went and I had to mount a outboard on the Avantgarde to get her home. I then proceeded to leave the marina only to find ice about 4 inches thick a few miles away. Well I kind of bumped it and some broke. The motor was coming loose after a few bumps so I climbed out on to the swim ladder and held my Evenrude on the mount. So I bumped more like a beauty queen Avantgarde cut through and made a slushy out of the Chesapeake for about a mile and got through. I read part of a book and watched some videos on how to sail and learned to trim the sails a little too for best performance and speed. I learned what Gail winds on the Chesapeake meant the hard way. As big as my sailboat is I figured those small craft warnings were for them others. (about died) I used daft logic for distance calculations and my first trip and time on a sailboat I single handed 585 miles. I now live on Avantgarde at Cape Fear Marina in Wilmington, NC. As of 5/3/2014. So that's the short part of the story. I don't have 40 years of sailing like that Mark guy and it don't take me that long to learn anything. I guess I am above average. I would like to meet you all and possibly do this trip with you. I have to be honest though. I can't do it free. I have no income yet if I am not working. I have very few bills but some. I don't know what your looking for exactly but I can repair and maintain your vessel and take watch skillfully and safely with the best of them. I am a cheap date smoke free, alcohol free mostly. I did the Intra Coastal night and day by my self with a handheld GPS. Never run a ground at the helm even in the Dismal swamp at night. I am 45 6ft. very good looking (lol) of Dutch, Irish and German decent and strong as an OX. I like to meet people smarter then me. It sounds like it would be a very nice experience so I hope you will consider me and give me a call. I am Doc Master now at the Cape Fear Marina. They hired me the day I arrived as a temporary Doc Master. (910)747-11six five
Old 12-05-2014, 05:13   #11

Suzanne, I sent you an e-mail on Sunday. Did you get it? Look in your SPAM folder.
Old 12-05-2014, 16:31   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle284 View Post
Suzanne, I sent you an e-mail on Sunday. Did you get it? Look in your SPAM folder.
No mam. dennisdkoch@yahoo
Old 14-05-2014, 00:34   #13

Thanks to everyone, we have found someone

Tags
deck, deckhand