Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2010, 19:28   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Cool BVI to Panama 2011

I am hoping to get to Panama before storm season 2011. Would likely be ready to leave VIs end of April. Route TBD. I'd prefer to find someone who's sailed this part of the world before who needs the miles. My eventual goal is Baja, so if that interests you, you could stay along for that leg too.

I have a well-found small sloop, a 1982 CS36T. Room for me and 2 crew, or 3 if two are couple and share bed. I pay all boat expenses including food, fuel, fees, etc. I would consider paying a qualified delivery captain.

Please PM me if you are interested.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 17-10-2010, 01:50   #2

Boat: SAR-boat
Send a message via Yahoo to sorin
hi

I,m Maritime Port Captain , Maritime Deck Officer (offshore), 44 years & 25 experience .. all my document are ok includes STCW course and endorsement ,i have 25 years only in a single company . i would like to work for you permanently .contact me hier >>sorinutuu66@yahoo.com ....or 0040 0731 041 115 ...tksss
Old 18-10-2010, 06:20   #3
LJP

BVI to Panama

Hello,

I am a man in my early 20's from the UK and am seeking a crew placement for 2011 in this area of the world.

I have limited experience and so wish to build some sea miles.

I hold the following degree and basic sailing qualifications,

Marine Technology BSc (Hons)
RYA Day Skipper
STCW-95
VHF Radio License

Best regards,
LJP
Old 07-11-2010, 13:11   #4

Boat: Beneteau 45
Send a message via Skype™ to cloverbay
Hello. Are you still looking for crew? I have done that voyage, delivered (captain) Lagoon 42ft from Tortola to Tahiti via Galapagos. I have contacts in Panama for canal transit. Very experienced New Zealand citizen. Regards, Roger.
Old 07-11-2010, 18:16   #5
Eternal Member

Hi Roger,

Thanks for responding! Will you be in the Caribbean this Winter/Spring? How long could you stay aboard?

Get back to me at: roark dot margo at g mail dot com.

Ciao,
Margo

Old 07-11-2010, 18:28   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
margo-- you will be coming north as i am going south--we MUST meet..LOL..
Old 07-11-2010, 20:18   #7
Eternal Member

Thumbs up Crossing paths

Zee, Oh yeah we should! We could also trade crew. Whoever comes to Panama with you, he could go back north with me. And my crew could go back with you! Haha!

Timing is likely to be a bugger tho. But we'll keep track of each other no doubt!

Margo

Old 07-11-2010, 21:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
Zee, Oh yeah we should! We could also trade crew. Whoever comes to Panama with you, he could go back north with me. And my crew could go back with you! Haha!

Timing is likely to be a bugger tho. But we'll keep track of each other no doubt!

Margo
when do you think you will be in mazatlan?? i have friends there and can hang on their dock should i so desire...i might stay there a bit.. depends on whatever and who and stuff....ye know-- the usual.....the canal hands thing is a lovely thought... would be nice to hook up with anther boat so both save..but then i would have to hurry and i dont like hurry..

..yes, we will have to keep track of each others progress and judge accordingly! so far, one of my crew comes from louisiana, and one from sweden.... we see what develops..
Old 15-11-2010, 19:07   #9
Eternal Member

Crew Found

Hey All,

Looks like I've got all the crew I need to get me as far as Panama. Yay!!

Thanks to all who responded. I'll still need crew in 201 to get from Panama to California. Think about it!

Margo

Old 24-11-2010, 16:36   #10
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
I'm game for Panama to California. I'm 42, fit and was in the navy 20 years ago as a boatswain. I must admit I trained on sailboats some, but spent most of my time on a destroyer so most of the basic sailing stuff is forgotten. Things will come back to me quickly though, and I plan on buying a boat of my own when we get to California. Let me know if you're interested. I'm available anytime after December 9th.
Old 24-11-2010, 19:28   #11

Boat: Member Boston Sailing Center
Panama to CA

Margo:

Congrats on finding crew all the way to Panama. The leg from there to CA sounds interesting. When do you think that you will get to Panama, and how long do you think it will take to get to CA? Will you be in a hurry, or just take your time moving up the coast?

I just got back from a delivery from Norfolk, VA to the Abacos, so I have to work a little before I can take off again.

Gene A (from NH)
Old 25-11-2010, 00:15   #12

margo--i m not gonna be able to leave her until jan or feb--hopefully early in feb, as i need to make panama by april for hurrycame season....not certain as to when i will be where- but i will look for ye--keep an eye out for my formosa-we gotta meet... have a good trip- glad you got crew for the first leg..... snooth sailing!
Old 05-12-2010, 15:15   #13

crew/sailing partner

Hi Margo,
this is Halim from Victoria BC and I have not heard of you. I just read your recent ad. please tell me where you are and your plans. is there a way to exchange telephone call or chat on google or so. I am just about free now.cheers and best wishes Halim hp5191802@gmail.com
Old 12-12-2010, 05:01   #14

Hey Id love to help out with the Panama to California trip, there's a kung ** school in California Id really like to go to. My name's Chris Hamilton, I'm a Canadian citizen, and a fully qualified Yachtmaster offshore under sail, which means I've done my Competent Crew, Day Skipper, Coastal Skipper, and Yachtmaster theory and practical, and passed the Yachtmaster practical exam. I have 3000 miles experience along with a bunch of other related courses. I'm young (19 soon to be 20), fit, healthy, hard-working, and not afraid to do any jobs that need doing, not looking to get paid either. I am working on getting my STCW 95 (just missing fire prevention) but I guarantee I can work a fire extinguisher, I'm also commercially endorsed with an ENG1 medical. If you'd like me to help out just let me know around when you are leaving so I can work out if I can come or not, I'll check back here and my e-mail is chris_h_27@hotmail.com thank you

My Experience:

Practical:
-12 weeks, 2500 miles, yachtmaster training with Allabroad Sailing Academy in Gibraltar, Spain, and Portugal, largest ship Bavaria 44 ft, strongest wind force 8, tidal waters
-2 weeks, 300 miles on a tallship across the great lakes of Canada, strongest wind force 5, non-tidal waters
-2 weeks, 200 miles on a 50 ft catamaran in the British Virgin Islands of the Caribbean, strongest wind force 5, tidal waters

Theory:
-2 weeks of navigational theory (chart work and weather, day skipper, coastal skipper and yachtmaster)
-Additional courses:
-Diesel Engine
-VHF Radio
-Radar
-Electrical Systems
-Gelcoat and boat maintenance
-Ropework
-Sea Survival
-First-aid
-Personal Safety and Social Responsibility