Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 06:25   #1

Boat: Rival 34
BVI to Bahamas / Abacos

Presently I,m in Tortola and looking out for crew to help sail my little Rival 34 up towards Florida. i,ve just arrived having crossed from the uk with friends to Barbados where I picked up my fiancee, but having got married here she,s had to fly back to work. I,m waiting on a us visa so won,t be able to get to Florida but looking to spend 2 weeks sailing up to the Turks and Caicos first then hopping up to Nassau and Marsh Harbour Abacos where onward travel to US is easy. The boat is a 34ft old school design so very seaworthy and systems are simple for reliability if not luxury so no hot water, windlass, outboard, fridge.
I,m afraid i can,t cover any transport costs but the boat is mostly provisioned up ready to go and hoping to leave in the next week, before the 19th jan hopefully. I,m a Sailing instructor in the uk so whilst some experience is necessary I,m happy to teach too. Progress of the trip so far is on the blog offsailin@blogger.com although with the wedding it,s not quite up to date...
Old 14-01-2014, 19:02   #2

Re: BVI to Bahamas / Abacos

Could make it there on 19th. High experience level. Just retired Jan 1.
What is your plan once in Bahamas with bride in UK?? None of my business of course.
Cheers.
Old 14-01-2014, 19:15   #3

Sorry. I can be reached at jakeobrienx@gmail.com
Old 15-01-2014, 12:43   #4

Boat: Rival 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeobrien View Post
Could make it there on 19th. High experience level. Just retired Jan 1. What is your plan once in Bahamas with bride in UK?? None of my business of course. Cheers.

Hi Jake

So plan is heading for Abacos via Nassau as i have to sort out a visa so as yet i am unable to enter the US. Ideally i,m looking to shoot straight through to the Bahamas where I intend to be long enough to warrant a cruising permit so then with a couple of stops make my way up to Nassau. Going through the islands would be probably clear in at rum cay or the second option being round the outside offshore and coming in straight to Nassau although the weather for next week is likely to make that option pretty hard going upwind! If the weather does look alright though it would be easier and quicker although less interesting, but as i am on a budget and keen to get there it is an option. The boat is good and solid if a little slow and basic so no fridge, windlass, furling sails outboard etc but small and under rigged enough for it not to make it hard work. Likewise no aircon and sleeping in saloon berths so you are aware of what you,d be letting yourself in for. And quite happy to say that my new bride is working in Florida so i will be joining her at the first opportunity but keen to explore the Abacos while paperwork is in the pipeline.
At the minute i am waiting on a someone here who may be able to help but will let you know asap if you are still interested. There are photos of the boat which give an idea of her on offsailin@blogger.com if you would like to have a closer look. Will be in touch as soon as i can. Mike
Old 15-01-2014, 18:19   #5

Boat: Searay, runabout, 21'

Hey Mike,
I checked out your blog. Sounds like a great trip so far and only going to get better. I'm interested in joining you anytime during February or March for a week or two. Anywhere along the way towards the Abaco Islands would be great. Living in North Carolina (east coast USA) your destination is only a two to three hour flight away. I have boating experience on small sail boats and midsize power boats. Certified diver, adventurous, and easy going. Although I've been to the Bahamas and Caribbean several times I've only been to the big tourist destinations. If possible I would like to join you in checking out locations along the way. You can contact me at abwhitley@carolina.rr.com or call 704 791 2710.
Thanks,
Bobby
Old 16-01-2014, 12:21   #6

Thanks Mike. I'm still interested.
Jake
Old 30-01-2014, 23:01   #7

im free from march 2-16 if you need help. im flexible as to any meeting point but my dates are not
Old 31-01-2014, 12:01   #8

Hi Jake!

Your trip sounds amazing. Like yourself I am a certified sailing coach. I'm located in Ontario, Canada. I'm looking for more blue water time as I'm applying to work in the commercial shipping industry. This past September I completed a delivery with a crew of three from Seattle to San Francisco. I'm comfortable in all conditions and on solo watches. I have the relevant certifications in navigation, pcoc and VHF.

Please get in touch, I'd love to talk to you in more detail. My email is mostapiak@gmail.com or feel free to call/text at 289-442-0365 at your convenience.

Thanks!
Mark
Old 31-01-2014, 12:03   #9

Sorry, that last post was supposed to be addressed to Mike. My apologies.

Mark

Tags
abaco, Bahamas