Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 15:46   #1

Boat: No boat at present time.
Send a message via Yahoo to Nanki-Poo Send a message via Skype™ to Nanki-Poo
Boring Old Fart Seeks Berth

Fit, lean, 71 yo, (boring-old-fart :-) passes for 59), non-smoker, male, Brit (in Montreal): can cook, fix stuff, learn, do what I'm told and "talk of many things". Computer-literate, qualified ex. Aircraft stress eng., designer, 5th Eng. (Deep-sea), MotorVehicleDiesel eng., 'of independent means'.
What else? - ask me, but I'm an asset.
Can sail dingies and triangulate (I-love-Trig). Need keelboat and navigation experience before plonking cash in the "hole-in-the-water". Looking for a sail from September 9th 2011 for maybe a month or two - or more?
Boat? - the bigger the better.
Skipper, crew? - nice people!!!
Anyone interested? rsvp :-)
Old 12-08-2011, 16:10   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Boring old fart seeks berth

have formosa 41 in mazatlan looking to sail south in winter......could use crew....
Old 23-08-2011, 15:15   #3

Boat: No boat at present time.
Send a message via Yahoo to Nanki-Poo Send a message via Skype™ to Nanki-Poo
Re: Boring Old Fart Seeks Berth

Hi Zee, thanks very much for your reply to the "Boring-old-fart" and so sorry I'm a bit late in getting back to you.

Funny how things happen in three's at very inconvenient times: first I ate some turkey slices from Costco a while ago and got the runs quite bad - but(t) ;-) think I'm getting over it now - (being in a vertical position at the moment ;-): next, didn't my computer foul up? - couldn't even boot the danged thing - got that sorted finally: and finally (he said hopefully) the last in the trio of trials, the kitchen fridge went on the blink: not sure if I've managed to fix it - time will tell. Spent all yesterday and today hunting around Canada on the web looking for parts didn't I ? - so keep your digits firmly crossed for me please :-)

Ok, I had a little look at your site Zee: looks as though you're a lady of wide experience (of things nautical :-) ) and I shouln't wonder if there isn't a lot I could learn from you! Sounds like you have a good boat, and I imagine it's not easy to keep up to a safe sea-going condition, but suppose you wouldn't put to sea unless she was well-enough founded ! With a boat that size, you must (I suppose) need a crew of at least two (plus yourself) before you'd think of lifting the hook: would that be right?

My plan (at the moment) is to go with a friend to New York State for the week-end of 9th Sept: after that I'd hope I could get a sail (maybe October-ish - or later towards December) for a month or two or more: perhaps we could talk and discuss things (if you're still interested). For two (or more) strangers to reside in close proximity in a generally inhospitable environment would seem to require - at least - a couple of chats to try and make sure we're not gonna kill each other: I think you'll probably agree :-)

My SkypeName is SkyeBlue2830: I think I saw somewhere you had Skype, if so maybe that would be a good way (unless you prefer email) for us to get aquainted: I'm sure there are questions you will have too - and ideas to convey on your general plans for the forthcoming winter.

FYI, I had cats as pets as a child - and later - so, if moggy is friendly - so am I :-)
Do email or whatever!

Kind regards, Nanki

PS: interested to know what interests you - besides sailing - obviously !