Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 09:35   #1
Ben

Bermuda to BVI Early April '07

Crew sought for Sabre 28 lying St. Georges Bermuda, with planned departure in early April, 2007 for Jost van Dyke. After that I'll be cruising the Caribbean, so you could stay on for more fun if it fits with your plans. Message me for details.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:04   #2

Boat: East Orient 32
Sabre 28

Ben, did you just buy the boat? What's your offshore sailing experience? The Sabre 28 is a coastal cruiser - it can get nasty out there south of Bermuda - I was there in 35 knots of wind with 20 foot waves for 48 hours. And June 1st is the start of the hurricane season in the Caribbean. Can you tell us more about your plans, yourself and the boat?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:16   #3
Ben

Bermuda - BVI Early April

I've owned this boat for 15 years, and sailed it from New Jersey up to Maine, down to North Carolina (outside around Hatteras) and many points in between. I sailed it with one friend to Bermuda from New Jersey (NY harbor). Actually this is the second time I've sailed it out there. The boat has been modified for offshore work, I could send you a recent survey.

As far as nasty weather is concerned, tell me about it ! Every time I've crossed the Gulf Stream there has been at least a gale. This time we encountered a major storm, Force 9- 10 for two days, and were in the Gulf Stream for 3 days, two of them trying to stay in one place. If you're interested I'll send you my write-up about it, along with the newspaper article about the other boats that were rescued. But my boat did fine.

Leaving Bermuda, bound for Jost Van Dyke, we had fine weather (30 -35 knots downwind), but less luck. A bolt on the mast parted, and in an instant I lost all my lower shrouds. We managed to make it back to Bermuda under power, but ultimately (after 20 hours) lost the mast. A new mast was shipped yesterday from Florida and I expect to be on my way by early April. Since the entire rig is brand new, including all the standing and running rigging and chainplates (and bolts!) I expect the boat to be bulletproof this time.

For hurricane season I haven't decided yet between heading down to Trinidad, or staying farther north and relying on a hurricane hole. From what I've been reading, Nanny Cay looks pretty good. Any suggestions?

Fair Winds,
Ben
Old 10-03-2007, 08:58   #4

Boat: East Orient 32
Ben, that helps. All the best on the voyage, hope you have better weather this time. Sure, if you'd like to post your write up and the article here it would be interesting to read.

I don't have any suggestions on hurricane holes in the Caribbean, but perhaps others do.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:34   #5
Ben

Bermuda - BVI Early April

I'm not sure that "Crew Wanted" is the right forum for posting long sea stories. Maybe one of the other forums.

I should add that the new mast is not a copy of the original, but custom-made by U.S. Spars specifically for offshore work.

If anyone is interested in crewing, this is an unpaid position, but I'll cover your expenses.

Fair Winds,
Ben
Old 19-03-2007, 19:42   #6
Ben

Position Filled

Many thanks to everyone who responded, but I now have a crew for this passage, so the position is filled.

Fair Winds,
Ben

Tags
British Virgin Islands, Bermuda