Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2015, 19:57   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Australia Top End / Kimberlys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
There are a number of nasties to be considered:

The remoteness, it's a long way from Darwin to Broome and you need to be fairly self sufficient.

The isolation, other than a number of tourist vessels in Kalooma Bay I only saw only one other boat on the trip from Darwin to Broome in 2012 and only one power vessel on the return from Broome to Darwin. There are no VHF contacts with VMRs as on the east coast and your mobile will not work in many places.

The possibility of cyclones, their season starts earlier than on the east coast, June is the only month in recorded history entirely without one, and there are not that many shelters from them on that coast. Be mindful that the Timor Sea is a breading ground for them and there may not be much notice.

The wild life, I have only a 2.4m dingy with a 2.2hp outboard on it and everywhere I went I fealt like a canape on a tray at a cocktail party. This is one situation where fearsome is good.

That being said if you want to consider yourself a serious cruising yatchsman you need to do the Kimberlies and if you can sail in company with a group of other boats it is a much better and well worth experience. On my first trip through there I sailed up the WA coast with a group of boats and even though we did not keep close company and I pretty well stayed ahead of them I was aware that they were behind me and could probably be called upon if I got into trouble.

Transiting the Kimberlies is one of those voyages that if you plan on a 30 day voyage you supply for at least 60 days and this is why I said $50 a day you need a good reserve of tucker and spares and if it can be managed fuel.

You also need at least a good HF receiver (a tranceiver is better but there is pretty well no one listening unless you pre-arrange a comms sked) to listen to the weather reports from VMW. A sat phone would also be handy and if I go back there again I will get either one of them or the newer locator/messaging system.
Thanks for the descriptive answer.

I suppose a little rubber dinghy would be appealing to some big salty croc!

Old 01-06-2015, 02:25   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Australia Top End / Kimberlys

HEY MATT, I WAS TALKING ABOUT EATING ABOARD, NOT OUT!!!

But it really begs a whole lot of questions:

Is the skipper qualified? If not legal what risk if any to an innocent crew person from the legal end of things?

Is it a fair price? $30/day does not sound like much, but as someone posted above, the crew person has lost income for the period of the passage, and at a month, that's roughly $1200, and that seems high to me. Raymond R disagrees, and perhaps he's correct.

But the OP is not much apparent at the moment, and I would really like to hear from him what his reasons are for his fee and also, more, important, what are his qualifications?

Uninformed people who crew with unknown skippers take on risk, and many have no idea whatsoever how to interview the skipper.

Ann

Old 01-06-2015, 07:58   #18

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Nashville TN
Boat: Cal 39

Right on Jim. Although I've not been in Oz I am familiar withlaws and the legal system of countries that have a system based upon the UK. If the local authorities are interpreting a law incorrectly, or the law is wrong, it'll still involve getting imbroiled in the legal system. So one wins and doesn't have to pay the fine or other punishment, one'll still loses money paying a lawyer, berthing for the months it'll take, etc. for MANY months (maybe even years) and the time that could be enjoyed doing things other than legalities. Remember in SBRA you filed a protest and after the meeting you said that was the last time you'd be involved in a protest? Well, dealing with governmental laws makes that experience as great as a grain of sand on Mt. Everest. I think we agree that when one is only a visiter one plays by the local rules AS THEY ARE ENFORCED LOCALLY or leaves. It is different if you are a citizen and want to get laws and rules changed and are willing to invest the money an mainly time necessary. But as a cruiser it is easier and less expensive to play by the rules, as assinine as they may be, or leave the jurisdiction.
Old 01-06-2015, 19:57   #19

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes maybe View Post
So many intelligent things to say, so many unwise reactions.
At a minimum on a "pleasure cruise" you own the boat, "its your voyage" - crew should be kept - free of charge.
The crew help you - to do your voyage.
Charging people - "crew" to be on your boat is a commercial enterprise..
They are giving up their time and income earning potential. Yes they get to see and do some stuff. But it costs them their income - at a minimum and they get to do what you say when you say it
hello guys
I am doing a volunteer deck hand from Rarotonga to Samoa .
it will cost me more than 2,000 dollars, just to get to the boat and back.
so no sailing passage is free for the voluntary deck hand.

cheers

jimmy
Old 01-06-2015, 19:57   #20

Hullo James, My name is Tony, and I would like to talk to you about joining you for a leg or so of this passage.
I have experience.
Plese email me at Tony.millroy@gmail.com, and i will respond promptly.
Best regards,
Old 16-06-2015, 09:51   #21

Hi James,

I really enjoy this style of cruising. My name is Garrett and my partner Kylie and I were eagerly looking for sailing venture this summer like this. I have experience as a crewman and she is quick learning cardiac nurse. We are both genuinely interested in a finding a boat to help cruise on at any point between June 23rd and July 27th. If you are available anytime between those dates just let me know and I would be happy to give you a full bio on each of us to see if we can join you.

Cheers,
Garrett M.
Old 16-06-2015, 20:05   #22

Hi James, I am interested in the Cairns to Darwin passage and possibly to go further. If you still require crew please give me a call on 0417 622 094. Am available immediately. Have competent crew cert, assisted with deliveries and race on weekends.

Cheers

Mary
Old 22-06-2015, 18:54   #23

Hi James,

Are you still looking for crew? I was to do a Cains to Darwin trip with possibility of continuing on the Sail Indonesia Rally but skipper had to pull the pin. Have assisted in some deliveries and have comp crew cert. Can I PM you some contact details.

Cheers

M

Tags
Australia, australia