Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 23:14   #1

Australia to Asia

Hello my name is Andrus and I'm looking to crew on a ship heading to anywhere in Asia from anywhere in Australia. I'm in Perth at the moment and in February I'll be coming to the end of my Work and Holiday visa, which means I have to go back to the US. However, flying seems a little too easy so I decided that I want to make it home without getting on a plane.
The first step is get from Australia to Asia on a boat, then I'll be going overland to Europe and hopefully arrive there in time to go across to the Caribbean in November. I don't have a strict timeline but I have a vague plan to meet a friend in India at the end of May. Ideally I'd like to leave Australia around the end of February 2012 but my dates are flexible.
As for sailing experience I don't have much. I did take a class in college (uni) and sailed around a lake a bit, and I've been on a few catamarans around the US but that's about it. I'm a decent cook and a quick learner so I'm confident that I would still be a valuable crew member despite my lack of sailing experience.
Old 05-11-2011, 23:40   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Australia to Asia

So you have no real experience, have travelled the globe at considerable expense and now want a free trip home via Asia on someone's boat?

Good luck with that.
Old 05-11-2011, 23:53   #3

Australia to Asia isn't exactly a ride home, free or otherwise. And I would be willing to pay for my share as well.

Thanks for the warm welcome though
Old 06-11-2011, 04:05   #4

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
There is yacht rally fro Darwin to Ambon in June/July and there is a listing of participating yachts on the website. I bet you will find a berth with someone there. Google it.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:57   #5

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll definitely check it out.

Also as an update, I've gotten in touch with a few sailing crews in Perth where I'm living now and will hopefully be sailing two or three times a week for the next few months with a couple of weekend trips thrown in as well. Should be fun and a good way to gain some experience/knowledge.

Tags
Asia, Australia