Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2011, 07:46   #1

Boat: Herreshoff Eagle
Australia - Bali - South Africa

My wife and I -- in our 50s -- are looking for 1-2 crew to help us sailour 44' Fountaine-Pajot 2008 catamaran from Australia up to Bali, and from there, to South Africa. The Australia-to-Bali cruise would take place over the May 15- June 15 period, and assuming all is well with boat and crew dynamics, we'd leave shortly thereafter for Christmas Island, Cocus Keeling, Reunion, Durban, and then Cape Town.

This is NOT a trip for the first-time sailor or first-time blue water voyager; it is a long trip, with challenging weather, wave, and current conditions. Ideally, we're looking for an experienced couple looking to tackle the South Indian ocean on a well-equipped boat.

This boat began its circumnavigation in France, and has crossed two oceans so far.

Please send expressions of interest and relevant experience, etc. to my private mailbox on this forum. I'll try and respond to everyone.

Thanks.

/jon
Old 24-03-2011, 06:35   #2

Re: Australia - Bali - South Africa

To,Mr.& Mrs.Jon

Good Day.
I have done a lot of blue-water sailing on large vessels & very much interested in helping you out, if you consider me.
I am Giridhar, an Experienced Merchant Marine Engineer, by profession & qualification, Engineering Watch Officer, Regulation III/1, (Motor), STCW’95 certification, Unlimited’ of the Republic of Liberia, Bureau of Maritime Affairs. Certificate No 830911, Exam Number: 48729 Issued on 1st Oct 2008 at R.L., VIENNA, VA, U.S. Expiration: 1st Oct 2013.
I am a qualified Mechanical Engineer (Diploma-General) 2002, and experienced Marine Engineer,for class IV/III rank (Motor) ,With Indian CDC.I have been working on short contracts like Delivery/Takeover voyages...,normally on PANAMA Flagged vessels with CEC. I have Watch Keeper’s Certificate for Rating Forming Part of Engine Room Watch also.
I have good experience in Over hauling, Maintenance, & assembling machinery, reading & understanding technical drawings & trouble shooting. I am Drug-Free/NO-Smoke/also no Booze / & have no sea sickness. I keep a good WATCH on machinery . I have a 'Robust' health, can do hard Work. A little about myself & my interests and my plans. I come from a Respectable Hindu family, Loving, Broad-minded, Jovial; highly Enthusiastic, Honest, Truth/Nature loving. So obviously a Vegetarian/Vegan in my diet for health...
I have a lovely wife & a kid to care, back at home. Will you get me there i.e., taking care of my joining expenses . Requesting an early reply on email. Regards,
S.Giridhar,
Telephone (Landline) International call: in India: +91 8026541015 /Mobile International call: in India: +91 9902544071,
No 418,1st Fl, 18th Main Road,
4th T Block, Jayanagar , Bangalore, Karnataka,INDIA.ZIP:560041 Email:giridhar4e@yahoo.com
Old 06-04-2011, 10:50   #3

I am a 35 year old male with extensive NAVY experience. As in the military type of Navy. I've also done 4 tours in Iraq. I have been aboard ships bigger than some cities for several years. I am looking to get onto some smaller craft and head from anywhere in South Africa (I can meet you at any port) to Madagascar and all points beyond. HOWEVER, if the right opportunity presents itself, I could sail indefinitely depending on comraderie, trust, etc etc. (Came back from my last tour in Iraq and found my wife and everything I owned...GONE) Soooo I am flexible. I can take off any time after APRIL 15th. I was a communications officer in the Navy, so I know my way around electronics a bit, and I also have quite a bit of GPS and navigation experience. I'm also a certified/experienced water survival, womens self defense, and land navigation instructor amongst other things. I am also a fairly experienced wood worker, cook, motorcyclist, skydiver, and SCUBA diver. I love watching chick flicks, listening to music, and doing websites on my free time.

I don't do drugs, I love to laugh, tell completely unbelievable stories about the +/-35 countries I've been to, and have been known to sip a microbeer, or a fine glass of wine. If you want someone that is strong, experienced, trustworthy, quick on their feet and fun to be around, I would be that person. I don't get seasick, I love not seeing land and would love an opportunity to sail with you. My schedule is flexible and so am I.

Drop me a line at JFafrica1 a t hotmail dot com I spelled it like that to avoid junk mail. (P.s. I currently live in South Africa, if I didn't mention that.)
Old 06-04-2011, 21:30   #4

To,Mr.& Mrs.Jon

Good Day,
Since I am yet to hear any thing from you,I don't know if this is too early to you or I am not suitable may be, atleast if you reply me that will be something.....
Regards,
S.Giridhar.
Old 11-06-2011, 23:43   #5

Hello there sailors,i am george ,a 49 old greek who for the last 7 years have been living onboard a B31 ,and sailed from UK to the Med.I have recently sold my boat ,due to unforseen events ,i ended up boatless,but with a big apetite for sailing.If you are still in need of a crew member ,i think i can be of assistance .I am available for any amount of time or any distance.I am undertaking the responsibility for my fares and food,.I can put in my work towards maintenance onboard ,and i am really confortable with computers ,charts,nav programs etc.i also have a working copy of maxsea with world charts ,as well as the pilot books for the world from the USA commersial navy.all in my netbook which works on 12 v with a 6 hour battery ,has been my assistance in all my trips.Anyway ,i wont bother you more,if you d like to get to know more for me ,email me at g_soilis(at)hotmail(dot)com
best regards and my wishes for fair winds.
george
Old 19-07-2011, 22:43   #6

Greetings Guys. Sounds like you are on a trip of a lifetime. I have a qantas flight back to SA but would refer to Sail. I am currently in OZ. So i gather i'd have to meet you in Bali which is a possibility.

SOme of the guys above have heavy duty quals - me - i have a lowly coastal skippers ticket. Done a few yacht deliveries over a few days - but am not scared of the big open blue. I fly gliders, spearfish (been on several big blue7 day charters) am an ex-lifeguard and 40 year old professional.
I am single, dont smoke, rarely drink and am a good natured individual.

Feel free to PM me.

Either way - merry travels.
Old 24-08-2011, 17:36   #7

Jon, I just saw your post, sounds good. I'm a 51 yr. old experienced sailor, just finished two months sailing in Fiji and Vanuatu, it was wonderful. Now I'm making my way up the east coast of Australia, currently in Cairns. I have a 41ft. Bounty ll sloop back home in Santa Barbara, California that I have lived on for extended periods of time. My longest crossing was a fabulous transatlantic. I'm very happy on the water, and will get myself to the boat if it is a good fit. Back home I am a hospice caregiver, so kindness is a priority for me. Thanks for your time, Laura P.S. There are pics. of me on my facebook profile.
Old 24-08-2011, 18:53   #8

Boat: Herreshoff Eagle

Thanks to all for responding; I apologize for not getting back to you in a timely fashion. Our circumstances have changed and we no longer are looking for additional crew. Best of luck to all, and safe sailing/travels.

Best/jon and jennifer

"Money's just something to throw off the back of a train;
Got a head full of lightning, and a hat full of rain."

Tags
Africa, Australia, South Africa