Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2015, 07:34   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to karlbeerenfenge
Atlantic crossing | Europe-South America | More sustainable traveling

Hi sailors,

If you're looking for crew for the Atlantic passage this year, please look no further.

Please allow me to introduce myself shortly. My name is Karl Beerenfenger, 30 years old, I'm living in the Netherlands and currently working in solar power and hospitality. Looking for more sustainable ways to travel and a way to visit my little sister who's been living in Chile for a couple years now (together with her Chilean boyfriend) I'd like to help crew a sailing boat this year. Departure point: I can meet you at any port of choice in Europe. Destination: preferably Brazil, so that I can travel overland to Chile, and thus don't have to fly - something I really wanna avoid on my future travels. I am very flexible when it comes to departure and arrival dates.

Next to the sustainability aspect, my wish to sail (across an ocean) is also born out of a lifelong fascination for the aquatic realm. My Divemaster certificate, surfing, kayaking, snorkeling and fishing (solely for feeding purposes nowadays) are results of that fascination.

My sailing experience isn't going to be the decisive factor, since I've only had one sailing lesson so far - on a lake in the Netherlands. I have worked on a boat in Australia (Ningaloo Reef) for three months though, as deckhand and client supervisor (onboard and in the water).

What is probably more important, is that I'm willing to help with anything necessary, not only during but also before and after the crossing. I really want to learn how to sail. I could help prepare the boat (if given instructions , help supplying, help cleaning (the bottom of) the boat, etc. Anything.

Although, of course, I see the crossing as an adventure, I do not romanticize life on a sailing boat. After having spoken to many different sailors worldwide and having read many articles and blogs about sailing in the past few months, I have become aware of the fact that sailing (especially a crossing) can be hard work and means that you will be in each others private spaces a lot, so those spaces have to be respected. Adaptability is essential, I guess. Furthermore, as crew I could possibly also add to the trip by:
- teaching you Dutch, of course
- teaching you some basic Spanish (which I am learning now)
- writing blogs for you (I'll launch my own blog soon)
- (helping with) cooking (I usually cook vegan, but I will most certainly adapt)
- fishing
- joining you on dives
- joining you in good conversations
- enjoying the silence
- respecting the sea and elements of nature
- teaching you how to make environmentally friendly cleaning products
- of course, following orders and where necessary taking initiative to make the ride as smooth as possible
- etc..

I also realize that being crew doesn't mean that you get a free (or even paid) ride, especially being quite unexperienced. I will share the costs with you or pay for the crossing.

If you're considering taking me onboard as crew, I would love to organize a Skype call, or even better, if possible logistically, meet up somewhere to get to know each other a bit.

One of my first ''experiences'' with sailing across oceans was reading this blog and e-mailing with the crew of the boat in question:

http://www.yachtmollymawk.com/2011/03/hitch-hiking-across-the-atlantic/

The blog stuck to me, and I printed it.

Anyway, thank you for reading this post.
I'd like to emphasize one more time that I'm serious about sailing, and everything that comes with it.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Karl Beerenfenger
the Netherlands

kbeerenfenger@gmail.com
Old 27-08-2015, 08:00   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to karlbeerenfenge
Re: Atlantic crossing | Europe-South America | More sustainable traveling

Hi sailors,

Still looking to help crew a sailingboat to South America.
Don't hesitate to contact me, if you're looking for crew.

Cheers,

Karl

Tags
atlantic crossing, Europe, rope, South America