Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 06:43   #1

Anywhere in Europe to South Africa (Cape Town)

Hello, I am a single 40 year old male (I look 36). I am looking for passage to South Africa to get home to Cape Town. I can meet anywhere in Europe with enough notice. I am currently in Roma, but may be heading to Prague soon. I am looking for a working passage or even a paying passage. I have been away from the water too long, and need to get the wind on my back. I've always wanted to sail the coast from top to bottom, so I want to make my dream come true.

I would love to work for passage, but I can also pay if you're reasonable.

About me:

Physically fit (I am a former Ironman Triathlete). I don't smoke or do drugs, but I do like a glass of wine with dinner. I love to cook, and can make some great Italian and Hungarian dishes. I do not drink while underway, unless it's under the suggestion of the captain at dinner etc etc.. I have two years of sailing experience on craft 60ft and less. I am eager to learn more of the finer points of navigation. I have a background in map reading and topography, so I can do basic charting. I have an IT and radio background. So communication and navigation systems are like second nature to me as well. I can work around most maintenance and repairs. I have experience with wood and fiberglass repairs and can do most things on diesel engine systems. I'm not an expert, but I can fix basic things.

I am dependable, and responsible. I don't complain, I don't quit, and I am very flexible. I am a survivor. I roll with the bad and celebrate the good. I am an optimist but a realist and a problem solver. I handle stress very well I have been told. I have been a lifeguard, a paramedic, and a water survival instructor in my past life. :-) I can swim better than a fish. I am also a Padi Scuba instructor. I am a jack of many trades, but a master of only a couple of them :-) I can be depended on. I will take my responsibility aboard your craft very seriously as if it was my own vessel. I don't steal and I don't lie. I get the job done and every job I have had except one (I didn't like working at the movie theater when I was a kid, so I was always eating snacks from the counter and got fired) but every other job I have ever had, people ask me to stay or return.

I have a bicycle that I would want to put it on the boat for this passage. It is a fully loaded mountain bike, but folds and can be disassembled to take up less space.

If you read this post and you know of someone going this way, please refer them to this one...I would appreciate it. I have a feeling I will be looking for this ride for a while, so don't forget about me.

Also, I am thinking about going to Gibralter, and trying to hitch a ride at a Marina near there. Is that feasible? What about bribing a commercial sailor on a bigger ship? Passage for work on a commercial ship? I don't know I am just asking, so don't flame me if this is crazy talk. Any positive input would be welcome.
Old 17-08-2012, 21:34   #2

Re: Anywhere in Europe to South Africa (Cape Town)

I have two years of sailing experience on craft up to 60ft. To include twin hulls.

Tags
Africa, cape town, Europe