Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2011, 19:30   #1

32yr Aussie seeking Caribbean to Pacific (Oz?) passage - In St Lucia and ready to go.

My name is Troy, a 32 year old from Australia, and I am looking for crewing opportunities from the Caribbean heading West towards Aus or nearby. My dream is to so sail the Pacific back to my homeland.

I have been travelling the world for over 6 years and using London as my base and means of income and am now hoping to be able to make the journey home via wind power. I have just crewed with a 36 foot Bavaria helping a family of 4 across the Atlantic via the Canaries and Cape Verde.

Today I am in Tobago but will be making my way to St Lucia where I will be for the new year.

I have no ties and no where I need to be so within reason could join a yacht anywhere at any time. I have earmarked a year break so consider me a long term crew prospect.

A little about me then...

I suppose I fit the stereotypical Aussie image to some degree (complete with Crocodile Dundee Kangaroo skin hat )
  • I am laid back and easy going but that is not to say I am lazy.
  • I love to meet new people and am fairly chatty and love a laugh.
  • I love the outdoors and am quite active and adventurous. I'll give just about anything a go.
  • I love to snorkel, free dive, and scuba dive but my even bigger passion is fishing. I can catch, fillet, and cook good seafood. I bagged loads of Mahi Mahi, Tuna and even a Marlin on the Atlantic crossing.
  • I take pride in my cooking and make sure I pull my weight with the onboard chores.
  • I was even a part time English and Maths tutor on the last crew position
  • I don't smoke or do drugs. I don't mind the odd rum (or cold beer) as the name might suggest but I don't mind dry boats at sea either as was the Atlantic crossing.

On the sailing side of things...

I don't claim to be an expert sailor and I'm still soaking up all the learning opportunities with gusto.
Having said that though, I would consider myself a solid competent crew member to have on board. I can do my solo night watches with minimum fuss.

I have completed the British RYA Dayskipper qualifications and have cut my teeth with a bit of dinghy sailing as well. I have my Padi licence, first aid training and a recreational shipmasters licence from back in Aus.

If you think I might fit in with your crew and plans, I would love to hear from you. 2 weeks on dry land has got my feet itching to get back sailing. Get back to me on here or email troywalton66 at yahoo dot com dot au

Cheers

Troy
Old 07-01-2012, 05:49   #2

Re: 32yr Aussie seeking Caribbean to Pacific (Oz?) passage. In St Lucia and ready to

I have now made my way to St Lucia and am chilling near Rodney Bay marina. Still seeking a crew position so get in touch if you would like to discuss.

Cheers

Troy
Old 07-01-2012, 06:58   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: 32yr Aussie seeking Caribbean to Pacific (Oz?) passage. In St Lucia and ready to

tony on sy Ahquabi
may be looking for crew to aus,send pm to Ahquabi on cf
currently in bahamas but heading for cuba,panama soon or skype tony callan
Old 14-01-2012, 17:13   #4

Hi there,

Well I have a crew position and am off next week bound for Chile, via Panama and Galapagos.

Chances are I will backpack overland North again from Chile through Bolivia, Peru and end up in Ecuador (can fly from there back to Galapagos) most likely April.

I am still hoping to organise a crew position to head back towards Australia so if you will be seeking crew ready for the big leg from the Galapagos to the Marquesas around April time get in touch and we can see if our plans align.

Cheers

Troy
Old 24-02-2012, 18:38   #5
Marine Service Provider

Hey Troy,

where are you now? im in st maartin and heading back to OZ via panama and looking for crew.

will probably put a crew wanted up post shortly

Dan
Old 25-02-2012, 08:00   #6

32yr Aussie seeking Pacific passage ideally to Oz. In Sth American but flexible

Gunnado and all,

I am now in Ecuador and set sail for Chile first thing tomorrow morning. I am still looking for a boat for the next leg into the pacific and was hoping to firm something up when I get to Chile in about 3 weeks time. I plan to do a little backpacking in the direction of a rendezvous point with the next boat. Maybe somewhere along the Sth American West Coast or make my way out to Galapagos but could go anywhere really. Talking to a few captains to try and find the best fit for all so if you need crew you can still get in touch with me and I can get back to you when in Chile.

Cheers

Troy
Old 03-03-2012, 12:57   #7

Hey Troy, you found that boat back to Oz yet. ?

Tags
Caribbean, caribbean