Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2015, 12:52   #16

Re: 25 Year old female available to help

I am considering a trip to South Pacific. Cruised for 10 yrs 1995 to 2005, 43,000 miles. Had lots of crew join me. The best were often the ones with little experience. Had several rejoin me so I guess that meant it was ok. 32 ft Dreadnaught. West coast. If you have an interest send me a letter and phone number if you are serious.
Old 19-12-2015, 13:26   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriahsailing View Post
I am considering a trip to South Pacific. Cruised for 10 yrs 1995 to 2005, 43,000 miles. Had lots of crew join me. The best were often the ones with little experience. Had several rejoin me so I guess that meant it was ok. 32 ft Dreadnaught. West coast. If you have an interest send me a letter and phone number if you are serious.
Rather a small boat. That should be intimate. Would suggest she search out a 40-60 foot range with at least four others on board.
Old 20-12-2015, 07:11   #18

What about a 39 foot boat or a 61 foot. I have been on 205 foot boats that were hell. It is not that size of the boat or the number of crew, It is the ability of the captain and the correct choice and mix of crew. It seems like an odd comment if you are a true sailor to quote one size a being better than the other. The smaller boats get more dinner invitations an more attention by the locals. They tend to be slower so if your in a hurry then that is understandable. One reason why I often preferred crews from Places like Norway, New Zealand and Brasil is there is no this incredible difficulty in getting along and most are not so spoiled as Americans are. After we protested the French for shooting off the Nukes in Moruroa in 1995 we were the decoy boat to the French Navy. Consequently the first to arrive in Raratonga. Alos the first to be interviewed and we were welcomed and invited to dinner daily in the Cook Islands and in New Zealand. Back then Moriah was quit popular. As there are few Black Tahiti Ketches in the world. An fewer in such good condition. Bon Voyage
Old 20-12-2015, 07:59   #19

Agree completely. Its also best to sail with about three to five other folks so there is companionship, a sense of shared experiences, and always someone to go exploring the local sights when at anchor. A 50 -60 footer gives each room to find a private space, enough storage for possessions, and a smooth ride.
Worst thing would be for her to sail off with some sex crazed guy who is looking for the next port conquest, in some tiny 30 footer with no room and little storage. This time of year should be some maxi boats heading down south for their summertime. Hope she finds a boat.
Old 20-12-2015, 10:39   #20

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Worst thing would be for her to sail off with some sex crazed guy who is looking for the next port conquest, in some tiny 30 footer
I understand your point (esp being a woman) but ...

A "sex crazed guy" is no more fun on 60' then on 30'.
Granted there'll be a door to lock on the larger boat, but if that's how the trip is going to be, you're in trouble anyway.
Old 20-12-2015, 11:11   #21

Lizzy; You hit the nail on he head. After arriving in Fiji in 1977 and Tonga in 1978 we had crew members begging us to come aboard so they could leave the boat they were on. I was able to only take one extra crew as our our births were full most of the time. The reality is the issues were more along the lines of crew not getting along or a broken love affair. I had been most lucky in my choice of crew members. Seldom took more than 2 and often had my choice of 1/2 dozen or so to choose from. The reason being that once you leave the US and get to the South Pacific the cruising community becomes quite small. I had a very good friend that got on a very nice 50 footer in American Samoa. She had been sailing with me for several months but needed to get to New Zealand so she could go to France without and extra expense in her airline ticket. Well as it turned out the captain panicked and locked her out of the cabin for 24 hours in a big storm while he and his wife stayed below. ( She managed the entire boat herself for that time). These kinds of stories we heard all of the time for most of our cruising. Most of the people that I had as crew were quite interesting and I am better off having met them. I was on a magic cruise for 10 years and the comments by a couple here have made me remember why I was so happy to have left the states and so sad to have returned. There is really nothing like it once everyone detoxes from the noises, commercials and stop lights. My advice to anyone is if you take crew or want to crew, make a critical survey of the boat and even more critical of the captain. Good Judgement and character is what is required. Take him out for a beer and listen to his stories. You will seldom go wrong.
Old 20-12-2015, 11:33   #22

We use to pick up forlorn female sailors who abandoned boats in various pacific ports due to "crew" problems. Funny thing was, sex did not play much of a role. Deranged monsters, bad relationships, drunk captains, and kids seem to be the big four back in the early eighties. Not sure what it would be nowadays.

Never really had a bad crew member outside of hygiene issues.
Old 26-12-2015, 20:07   #23

Boat: Hunter, 33.5

If you're interested in selling the east coast of the US from Maine to Miami and possibly the beyound let me know
Old 26-12-2015, 21:15   #24

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetequila View Post
If you're interested in selling the east coast of the US from Maine to Miami and possibly the beyound let me know
That there is some expensive real estate to be selling off in one big chunk.

Old 26-12-2015, 23:04   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
. Its also best to sail with about three to five other folks so there is companionship, a sense of shared experiences, and always someone to go exploring the local sights when at anchor. A 50 -60 footer ....
I wish you would stop banging on with such offensive bulltwaddle.
There are many, many people out there who are quite reputable and your continued posts to the contrary is just insulting.
Old 27-12-2015, 04:24   #26

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
A "sex crazed guy" is no more fun on 60' then on 30'.

Says you!
Old 30-12-2015, 19:26   #27

Boat: 38 ft. Bruce Roberts sailboat

Hi just read your posting.

My name is Doug and I brought my 38 ft. Ketch from Mexico through the S. Pacific and am currently in New Zealand!

I am planning to so Fiji, North end of Austrailia and then join a rally through Indonesia, to Thailand, and possibly as far north as Malaysia.

Plan to depart NZ April or May 2016.

My boat is very seaworthy and fairly low maintenance.

I am a 58 y.o. American male.

I had a female crew that joined my for the Pacific Puddle jump and after 8 good months aboard she had to return home to care for a granddaughter.

Let me know if this sounds like what you have in mind.

I ask crew to split the food and fuel expenses. I sail most of the time, so I would say fuel is typically less than $100/each a month.
Old 31-12-2015, 13:27   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max.King View Post
Hi

I am currently on Oahu.

Looking to sail anytime after April 2016 to New Zealand or any of the neighboring Polynesian islands.
Two problems I see or I'd offer you a spot. #1: I'm planning to leave from San Diego, where I am now, #2: after April is cutting it pretty short. That would be pretty much a straight shot, little time for adventures or sightseeing along the way to safely beat the storms. Which makes me wonder why you are going? I'm actually considering a departure between February and April at the latest from here. If that's something you can handle, I was going to solo it for the bragging rights/adventure more than anything else really, but feel free to PM me if you're interested and want to discuss. We'd have to meet first as well, that's a long time to be stuck with each other should there be a personality clash.

Just adding my two cents in. I had to check your post because I saw "@5yo female" and sure enough, there were a relative LOT of replies. Had to see what blood you threw to the sharks.

I see that someone else already posted, but please do be careful in picking your berth. I've only 10 years on you myself, but that is the FIRST thing that came to mind with your headline.

Best fo luck and I wish you a safe voyage regardless.