Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2012, 16:10   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish
Re: 2 girls need a one-way to virgin islands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
My bad on Continental, it is now United that flies pets with special care. We fly our labradoodle a couple of times a year with no problem in cargo, he's too big for the cabin. Sheabutta, listen to the advice, fly and enjoy the islands, maybe find a boat ride home int he spring when you have some sailing under your belt and under the dog's collar. Even experienced sea-going dogs have problems, no poop or pee for 48 hours and the like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
I think the comments have been to negative....Caution is called for here...iIt's not a good time of year really to go that way..but extra planning can mitigate much of the risks...It's one thing to point out dangers but come on...what a bunch of wet blankets in here...All these girls need is to find the right Captain...maybe they will..maybe they won't..I hope they do...but I don't know if they'll find him in here...
Dang.. Thought for a second.. "Admin"... was weighing in...
Old 29-06-2012, 16:40   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam54 View Post
Dang.. Thought for a second.. "Admin"... was weighing in...
Just for the record..I am not saying there arent good captains in here...There certaiinly are .. I meant to say the 'right" good captain...there arent going to be too many going that way in Oct...but I bet there's more than you'd think...especially powerboats as someone said...Just thought we ran into a fog bank of doom and gloom back there for a second, is all..
Old 29-06-2012, 17:04   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
This 2 girls 1 dog has proved to be much less terrifying than the 2 girls 1 cup which gave me nightmares.
You just had to mention that movie....Now im having flashbacks !!
Old 29-06-2012, 17:24   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheabutta View Post
Whoever said I wasn't taking good advice? I have been thankful for all of the info and ideas... Just because someone does what u might not doesn't make them bad/wrong
I admit, I did not see your post that you contacted American Airlines and are considering flying your dog out of Miami, so I apologize.

Please, please take the rest of the advice others are giving about not sailing at that time of the year. It is just not safe or prudent.
Old 29-06-2012, 18:15   #110

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Old 29-06-2012, 19:17   #111

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheabutta View Post
Nope never been- call us crazy all u want. We're going regardless for a change of lifestyle. If we hate it we can leave. Will prob end up flying so Duncan is comfortable but we will continue to look for boats and take advice!!
YOu did receive good advice although you got a few jabs along with it. Back to you travel plan. Have you or your friend ever been on the water in a boat larger than something with oars? Have you ever been in 5"+ seas with 30K winds blowing in your face? Forget about becoming sea sick, how about worrying if your even going to survive?

Now I am not implying that 5' seas are dangerous in themselves, it depends on what kind of boat is riding in them among other things. And others I am sure will share many horror stories based on real experiences. Someone mentioned wet towels. How about wet bedding because of taking a wave when least expected. You think wet panties are uncomfortable.....and you may wind up with them also?

And you're determined to make this trip! It could be the last trip you will ever make. And why do you want to live in a place where your safety is always in jeopardy? When you are in a foreign country, you are the foreigner!

I suggest as others did, that you put serious though into this voyage.

Foggy
Old 29-06-2012, 20:13   #112
TEE

Two girls, no sailing experience, and a dog??? And, are you imply you want compensation or would pay? Don't think you will have any intelligent takers on that one. I think the only idea worse than you trying to take the trip would be for someone to decide to take you. Nobody much will be going that way during the height of hurricane season, and even if they were, you really wouldn't want to be on their boat. As far as your concerns about the stress on a dog if he flys, how about a dog getting thrown from one side of the cabin to the other, from bulkhead to bulwark, from ceiling to floor like a basketball for days on end during a storm.
Old 29-06-2012, 20:32   #113

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
Even experienced sea-going dogs have problems, no poop or pee for 48 hours and the like.
Our cat does the same thing, but instantly barfs at the first sign of a big wake!

Me:
"We just hit 16 knots."

Wife: (below, cleaning up cat barf)
"I'm not surprised, I heard the boards humming."

This all in the protected water of Western Washington's San Juan Islands.

I've done three deliveries down the West coast of the USA, and can't imagine a big dog aboard !

Steve B.

Ayn Rand
Old 30-06-2012, 03:56   #114

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail

And you're determined to make this trip! It could be the last trip you will ever make. And why do you want to live in a place where your safety is always in jeopardy? When you are in a foreign country, you are the foreigner!

I suggest as others did, that you put serious though into this voyage.

Foggy
If I am not mistaken USVI is part of the USA. And living in a foreign country makes you an Expat. Believe it or not, but quite a few people are.....
Old 30-06-2012, 05:34   #115
Marine Service Provider

You girls have opened up a can of worms on the forum.. Now there's a Guy and a Dog wanting to go south....!!!

I am waiting for ex-President w/ pet pig next...!!! ;p
Old 30-06-2012, 08:00   #116

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

I'm surprised that only a few people have given the advice to try out sailing and find ways of getting on a boat for a short test ride... charters, sailing schools, crewing, volunteering, sailing clubs and co-ops, etc. With sailing experience, the OP would know what it means to ask what she does, and a trip out to the Gulf Stream would be a pretty severe test. One important point that I think has been sort of alluded to is that a sailboat in that environment is certainly something other than mere transportation. That can be good ... or sometimes excessively challenging ... and if it doesn't quite work out, hopping off the boat and standing by the side of the road to hitchhike for a different ride... what road?
Old 30-06-2012, 08:25   #117

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
If I am not mistaken USVI is part of the USA. And living in a foreign country makes you an Expat. Believe it or not, but quite a few people are.....

Yeah, you're right. It was late when I sent that post. And if living in a foreign country was so great, everyone would want to go to them instead of over the fences around our southern border
Old 30-06-2012, 08:27   #118

Boat: Hudson Force 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebell View Post
Sounds like you watch too much TV sitting in your couch at home.... I just sayin'...

Then again, it might be the absense of couch surving and the fact that I have had to work and live in some of the most dangerous places in the world. These girls may not be a problem, but I have certainly learned to trust my instinct. And under the best of conditions, they would not board my boat.

The witchdoctor
Old 30-06-2012, 08:40   #119

Sheabutta, another bit of advice from someone who spends time in both the USVI and the BVI with a dog. There are very few beaches in the USVI that allow dogs, and the ones that do require that they be leashed at all times. There are no health requirements for a US dog entering the USVI. But, the BVI is a different matter: rabies shot, three weeks later a titer blood test, sent to a lab in Manhattan Kansas. Wait three to six weeks. Then take the results to your vet, have her/him fill in the foreign forms, administer tick and flea and worm meds, then send the package to the state capitol to get a USDA signature for $144, then fax it all to the BVI. Fax only, not in person, not email. Then wait for permit. But once you jump through those hoops the BVI are more friendly to dogs. But in both sets of islands, the stray dogs are territorial and will attack a dog on a leash. The only safe way to walk a dog is be able to pick your dog up if it looks like you are about to be attacked, the strays rarely attack people. Carry a stick or stone at all times.

Maybe Key West would be almost as much fun?
Old 30-06-2012, 08:48   #120
Marine Service Provider

pirate Re: 2 girls need a one-way to virgin islands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Yeah, you're right. It was late when I sent that post. And if living in a foreign country was so great, everyone would want to go to them instead of over the fences around our southern border
Having grown up some on STX and Lived on STT as well.. I can say a little about life there... I still have my Uncle who lives there and family friends still there.. It's not like it used to be... Most white folks who have business there come into to town during the day, do their business and go home to the east end or where they live at night.. Too much trouble w/ the local thieves and punks in the town at nite.. If you set on going I would check out all the blogs / websites on Christensted, or whatever town/island ur going too. and see what people are saying about what's going on.. If your on fb, look up St. Croix Memories and ask questions there.. A bunch of people who live there are on that page and can educate you on exactly how it is down there.. And advise on bringing a dog etc. Good Luck...