Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2012, 12:32   #91

Haha not 17 and not stealing a dog! Just trying to move there. I called american airlines and I think I can fly him out of Miami directly. I just want to be on the water! We shall see- still looking for boats
Old 29-06-2012, 12:58   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish
Re: 2 girls need a one-way to virgin islands!

What Island are you talking about?? I spend some time growing up on St. Croix, and lived on St. Thomas for a few years, and also spent a lot of time on St. John... Have you EVER been down there??
Old 29-06-2012, 13:24   #93

Nope never been- call us crazy all u want. We're going regardless for a change of lifestyle. If we hate it we can leave. Will prob end up flying so Duncan is comfortable but we will continue to look for boats and take advice!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-881679870.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	42877
Old 29-06-2012, 13:32   #94

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

You wanna subject yer doggie to a culture that does not even usually NAME their dogs and think nothing of poisoning others dogs? Dogs in the usvi are either scrawny mutts or "mean" guard dogs, (pits) Picture your dog with nasty tics on him too, that is a constant battle.
Old 29-06-2012, 14:06   #95
Marine Service Provider

Here is something for you to read....

It's not Never Never Land...

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/ne...#axzz1id59SAfq

But it is what you make of it...
Old 29-06-2012, 14:13   #96

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith View Post
You wanna subject yer doggie to a culture that does not even usually NAME their dogs and think nothing of poisoning others dogs? Dogs in the usvi are either scrawny mutts or "mean" guard dogs, (pits) Picture your dog with nasty tics on him too, that is a constant battle.
Stop trying to scare the girls.

I don't know what's up with some of these guys.

I believe it is true, though, that in some places dogs are not allowed to leave the boat if they come from outside the country. You should research the travel requirements, make sure your dog is correctly vaccinated, and carry the papers with you.

This is also true of traveling on a plane. They can ask for documentation, and if you don't have it or it is not correct, they may quarantine your dog. That can be weeks at a time in a government kennel, and you will probably be billed for it.

The USVI will almost certainly be "easier" in this regard than a foreign nation, but it is an exotic island in a tropical location, and they most likely will have rules about importing animals into the islands, whether by boat, plane, or otherwise.
Old 29-06-2012, 14:14   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
The USVI will almost certainly be "easier" in this regard than a foreign nation, but it is an exotic island in a tropical location, and they most likely will have rules about importing animals into the islands, whether by boat, plane, or otherwise.
Dunno what I was thinking about "otherwise"... Black Hole? Teleportation device? Tunnel dug from China?
Old 29-06-2012, 14:16   #98

He looks like a cartoon dog! So cute looking. And no funny nose. Should be accepted in cargo, though not all airlines transport pets - I think it changes every year or so. Some airlines make it a specialty, some don't do it at all.
Old 29-06-2012, 14:18   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam54 View Post
Here is something for you to read....

It's not Never Never Land...

48 Virgin Islanders were victims of homicides in 2011 - News - Virgin Islands Daily News

But it is what you make of it...
The crack dealers are killing each other off, that's what I make of it.
Old 29-06-2012, 14:55   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

No experience, no navigational knowledge, no weather knowledge and seemingly not willing to take good advice.

What possibly could go wrong?

Old 29-06-2012, 14:59   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3
No experience, no navigational knowledge, no weather knowledge and seemingly not willing to take good advice.

What possibly could go wrong?
Whoever said I wasn't taking good advice? I have been thankful for all of the info and ideas... Just because someone does what u might not doesn't make them bad/wrong
Old 29-06-2012, 15:17   #102

This 2 girls 1 dog has proved to be much less terrifying than the 2 girls 1 cup which gave me nightmares.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 29-06-2012, 15:20   #103

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Stop trying to scare the girls.

I don't know what's up with some of these guys.

I believe it is true, though, that in some places dogs are not allowed to leave the boat if they come from outside the country. You should research the travel requirements, make sure your dog is correctly vaccinated, and carry the papers with you.

This is also true of traveling on a plane. They can ask for documentation, and if you don't have it or it is not correct, they may quarantine your dog. That can be weeks at a time in a government kennel, and you will probably be billed for it.

I am not trying to scare them , but inform them . you been there? You know "what is Up"?Unless you are wealthy with a fortified house on a hill , the USVI are the Babylon of the Eastern Caribbean.
Old 29-06-2012, 15:58   #104
Marine Service Provider

Ha Ha Ha.. We used to LOVE the girls that would come down on Vacation.. Us Working Tourboat / Charter Captains.. We would fall in love about once a week...

Some would stay, and we would take them sailing around the VI's and BVI's... LOL. we had our fun.. Starting out in a 27 foot sloop, and eventually ending up w/ a 50 foot ketch... Those were the days..!!!
Old 29-06-2012, 15:58   #105

I think the comments have been to negative....Caution is called for here...iIt's not a good time of year really to go that way..but extra planning can mitigate much of the risks...It's one thing to point out dangers but come on...what a bunch of wet blankets in here...All these girls need is to find the right Captain...maybe they will..maybe they won't..I hope they do...but I don't know if they'll find him in here...