Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2010, 02:34   #1

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
1 or 2 - Sail Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia - April-October 2010

Ahoy, 1 or 2 positions available on compact Adams 31', blue water GRP cruising sloop with 59 year old captain for extended cruise from Thailand's west coast back to Malaysia, Langkawi, and then onto the west coast of Sumatra, Java and Bali. Currently in Phuket.

Mainly a surfing/diving trip. The yacht is well set up with new 12V Danfoss refrigeration, new smev gas stove, new sails and rigging, full complement of offshore safety gear, all new electronics for navigation, water maker, new motor, HF SSB transceiver, VHF, personal epirb and full harness auto inflating life jackets and 4 man life raft, zodiac with 2 outboards.

We have sailed up from Langkawi with my daughter and her female friend, they had the two forward double berths, captain has the aft double stateroom. They are off soon, back to work. The front two berths are open plan, the saloon table drops to make a double berth and there is a fixed Vberth, suited to a single person under 6'. All very comfortable with personal fans, lockers and led lights.

The trip would suit anyone who is prepared to rough it for a while, no hot showers! 300L water, 260 L diesel storage, pur40E water maker. An alcohol free boat, the skipper does not drink or smoke and lives on banana porridge, rice and tuna with heaps of fresh fruit from the huge refrigerator/freezer area. Big sola panels and wind genny give lots of power and we have virtually full time broad band internet via mobile phone reception to the usb modem and a high gain antenna mounted on the cabin roof, whilst within sight of land.

Crew must be prepared to share some expenses for diesel and food, around $15.00 usd per day, no air fares in or out, find your own way here and back. Captain is certified in Australia and has advanced first aid and navigational and radio operators tickets. Would prefer a keen surfer, diver, marine oriented person, with a "can do" and "live and let live" attitude! I will be stopping in the island North of Nias, Bawa, Simalue, Banda Acheh, Mentawis and then down to Java, Bali, Lombok and back up to Malaysia towards the end of the year. I ride a 7'2" and a 8'4" thruster, home made. Scuba gear and tank is onboard, guitar, spear guns, all bedding and upholstery new.

Give me a call on thai phone 08-9650-2511, or skype; surfmachine1, or drop a reply to get my email to discuss possibilities? ELOISE is a smallish cruiser, but has full head room, centre cockpit, privacy, enclosed head, good sun covers and is a water sailing">blue water sailing vessel. Can send heaps of pictures and information. ELOISE can be sailed single handed but I would prefer some company for all or part of the trip, no previous sea time needed but you would need to be very fit and a strong swimmer.

Thanks for looking.

Keith.
Old 18-03-2010, 23:51   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to underclassy
Ahoy Keith!
Do you still need crew? I usually go back home to UK for work in the summer but things are so dire economically at the moment there may be no point. I'm a PADI OWSI with over 1200 dives and am active and insured so could teach courses if you like. I'd like a bit of surfing - once went to Sennen in Cornwall for a week about 100 years ago but I remember it being great fun. I'm a 5'11 gorilla but a good conversationalist and am certainly up for some blue water sailing as well as coasting. The humidity kills me here on land so I love being out on the water. I don't have any tickets but I grew up in Southampton and have sailed from dinghies through to 40' yachts since age 8. My father was a Pilot and Master Mariner in the port. I have cross channel /brittany experience and have crossed at night under sail single handed for example if that helps. Never sick. My skype's been hacked so doesn't work at present but do mail me on pauleffeny@yahoo.com or call my thai mobile - +66 (0)812704429. Would it be possible to do part of the trip?
Best,
Paul Effeny
Old 20-03-2010, 03:04   #3

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Ahoy Effeny!
Still seeking crew, my daughter departs for australia within 7 days and I am in the similan Islands at the present, have to check out of Thailand by 3rd April and slowly make my way back to Langkawi, where I will organise a cruising permit for Indonesia and get the Indo visas from Penang.
What part of the trip did you have in mind Effeny?
Cheers from Keith.

Tags
Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand