Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 21:25   #1

09 Beneteau 37 Tortola to Florida in April

I bought a 2009 Beneteau 37 in Tortola. My experience is sailing lakes inland. I need experienced help bringing my purchase back to Florida the first week in April. Interested?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:51   #2

Re: 09 Beneteau 37 Tortola to Florida in April

I am new to this message board. So, replies to personal messages seem to be restricted. I have attempted several replies unsuccessfully.
If you are interested in this trip, send me a message via my personal email:
(my message board username)@gmail.com. (to prevent bots from getting my email address)
A little more about the adventure: I am an airline captain, knowledgeable about winds/weather, an experienced "lake" sailor, but a blue water amateur. The boat is in top condition according to the recent phase out of Sunsail's fleet and subsequent survey/sea trial. Lifeboat and safety equipment up to standards.
I need to get back to Florida asap. Expecting to leave Tortola on or about April 01, sailing back to Punta Gorda, FL on the west coast. I would like to recruit 2 experienced reliable drug-free gentlemen (or ladies). As a minimum, air fare and expenses paid. If we all can leave from Florida together, that would be a plus. Although I don't have a lot of time to get back, I want to make this a fun filled exciting adventure.
Gary
Old 06-03-2014, 16:53   #3

IMHO, sailing on a schedule is one of the most dangerous things you can do. There are a lot of experienced delivery companies...
Old 06-03-2014, 17:26   #4

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

It is going be a great ride, slightly more than 1200 nm, surfing down hill with 8 to 10 knots...... LOL. Bring a drogue or jury rig one to slow it down when it gets hairy. If one can do 150 nm, it will be about 8 to 10 days. Last year, going from BVI to Colon Panama, we were doing 180-200 nm a day. The Shortest ride I have ever had. Good thing we had a spare tire.....hahah

Pretty much rhumb line from BVI to Marathon and then another 200 nm to Punta Gorda. The bad part of taking the rhumb line is no place to duck after you pass DR. So you really have to make a decision before you leave the cell coverage from DR if taking the rhumb line. Get all your weather info in place unless you have a SAT phone or SSB receiver.

If one has the time, going through Bahamas is not a bad idea, more time and a bit more money for a cruising permit, then you will be able to refuel, resupply and some rest. In the grand scheme of things, it is not so bad especially it is a boat that is new to the OP. If the time is tight, get her to FLL and go home. Come back to sail her to the other side of Florida in a week.

Old 06-03-2014, 18:14   #5

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
It is going be a great ride, slightly more than 1200 nm, surfing down hill with 8 to 10 knots...... LOL. Bring a drogue or jury rig one to slow it down when it gets hairy. If one can do 150 nm, it will be about 8 to 10 days. Last year, going from BVI to Colon Panama, we were doing 180-200 nm a day. The Shortest ride I have ever had. Good thing we had a spare tire.....hahah

Pretty much rhumb line from BVI to Marathon and then another 200 nm to Punta Gorda. The bad part of taking the rhumb line is no place to duck after you pass DR. So you really have to make a decision before you leave the cell coverage from DR if taking the rhumb line. Get all your weather info in place unless you have a SAT phone or SSB receiver.

If one has the time, going through Bahamas is not a bad idea, more time and a bit more money for a cruising permit, then you will be able to refuel, resupply and some rest. In the grand scheme of things, it is not so bad especially it is a boat that is new to the OP. If the time is tight, get her to FLL and go home. Come back to sail her to the other side of Florida in a week.

Thank you! that's the kind of info I was looking for...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-121985.html
Old 06-03-2014, 19:28   #6

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
Thank you! that's the kind of info I was looking for...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-121985.html
Sorry that I missed your post.

And Congrats, I am jealous. It looks like you took my advice and sent your hotz pic to the OP and you got the job....... hahaha

Have a safe trip and take some peektures too.

OK I stay put. Thanks God, we are in a warm trend of 40 degrees, hoping I will get my driveway back when the snow pile is gone.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:41   #7

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Congrats, I am jealous.
We are still looking for a third crew...
Old 07-03-2014, 08:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyf9 View Post
I bought a 2009 Beneteau 37 in Tortola. My experience is sailing lakes inland. I need experienced help bringing my purchase back to Florida the first week in April. Interested?

Hi, I'd like to be sure you have had a full marine inspection, safety gear, have the experience to do this trip and are willing to cover expenses but I've done some blue water racing and transport. I might have one additional crew and believe 3 would make for a safer, easier, more pleasant passage.
I'd be happy to hear from you and can probably manage an April schedule.
Regards,
John
PS: after safety, personal compatibility is key. Whoever you take, spend some time before getting to know them.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:28   #9

Boat: Hunter 33

Hey, let me know if you still need more grew. I'm experienced in lake sailing, but as I am planning my own escape for over a year, I had done a significant amount of preparation. Also, just finished a diesel course so I might be able to lend some handy man help, if needed. Depending on timing, I may be available, as an extra crew.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:11   #10

I have done it a couple times ! Pull out a big jenny and let her rip . As for course , just keep the big islands on the left and wrap around Key West . You should easily have enough provisions to get to Key West . Wind should be always behind the beam and the current will help 40 or 50 miles per day . My best time was Culebra to Key West in less than 5 days . The trouble with stopping anywhere is you can spend many hours checking in and checking out !
Old 07-03-2014, 19:27   #11

I'm not ignoring your calls, I've been out on a trip.how answer all posts when I get home this weekend. Thanks everyone
Old 13-03-2014, 11:12   #12
cp1

Gary

I'm a captain and instructor of 25 yrs.
pls check my profile here on CF. Let me know if you'd like my help.
Regards
Capt Doug
Old 17-03-2014, 13:37   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

Hi Gary,

Delivery Captain of 30+ years. you can E-mail me at captmarlena@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyf9 View Post
I am new to this message board. So, replies to personal messages seem to be restricted. I have attempted several replies unsuccessfully.
If you are interested in this trip, send me a message via my personal email:
(my message board username)@gmail.com. (to prevent bots from getting my email address)
A little more about the adventure: I am an airline captain, knowledgeable about winds/weather, an experienced "lake" sailor, but a blue water amateur. The boat is in top condition according to the recent phase out of Sunsail's fleet and subsequent survey/sea trial. Lifeboat and safety equipment up to standards.
I need to get back to Florida asap. Expecting to leave Tortola on or about April 01, sailing back to Punta Gorda, FL on the west coast. I would like to recruit 2 experienced reliable drug-free gentlemen (or ladies). As a minimum, air fare and expenses paid. If we all can leave from Florida together, that would be a plus. Although I don't have a lot of time to get back, I want to make this a fun filled exciting adventure.
Gary

Tags
beneteau, florida