Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2013, 17:42   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
Yanmar YSM8 whole or parts

Just removed YMS8 from my Cape Dory 27. If you need parts or like the whole thing let me know. Any reasonable offer will be accepted.

Paul
__________________

wetdog is offline  
Old 25-10-2013, 17:36   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
Re: Yanmar YSM8 whole or parts

Please see pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1520.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	69298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1522.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	69299  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alternator.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	69300   Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	69301  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	69302  
__________________

wetdog is offline  
Old 25-10-2013, 18:27   #3
Registered User
 
Tx J's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Texas
Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20
Posts: 363
Re: Yanmar YSM8 whole or parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetdog View Post
Just removed YMS8 from my Cape Dory 27. If you need parts or like the whole thing let me know. Any reasonable offer will be accepted.

Paul
I'm a little interested in it. I have a 12, but many parts are the same, and I might like to try a garage rebuild at home just for the he!! of it. It weighs about 225#, so transport is a factor.

What shape was it in before you pulled it? Running well, limping along, or kaput?
Where is it located?
What model year is it?
(YS'M' was the last, 'Modern' version of this engine series, from the early '80's)
Tx J is offline  
Old 25-10-2013, 18:49   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
Re: Yanmar YSM8 whole or parts

My CD27 is 1979. So I assume engine is as well. It's old but I have seen worse.
Always started fine which probably indicates compression OK. It run OK, on the short runs in/out of marina, 20-30 minutes or so at a time. I purchased this boat two years ago and don't know much of the engine's history. It's underpowered for this boat so I am looking at other options. Engine is out on the palet, can be crated but shipping is a significant factor. Transmission was OK, no problems there. If you just need parts, and easy to get parts, I could do that.

Paul
wetdog is offline  
Old 26-10-2013, 09:39   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Apalachicola, North Florida
Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27
Posts: 171
Re: Yanmar YSM8 whole or parts

Where is the engine located? Thanks!
__________________
Your WORKING IQ is your regular IQ, divided by the number of boats you own.
Bestathook is offline  
Old 26-10-2013, 10:18   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Apalachicola, North Florida
Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27
Posts: 171
Re: Yanmar YSM8 whole or parts

Also, do you know if the YSM has a sleeved cylinder or is just bored into the block?
__________________
Your WORKING IQ is your regular IQ, divided by the number of boats you own.
Bestathook is offline  
Old 26-10-2013, 13:41   #7
Registered User
 
Tx J's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Texas
Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20
Posts: 363
Re: Yanmar YSM8 whole or parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetdog View Post
My CD27 is 1979. So I assume engine is as well. It's old but I have seen worse.
Always started fine which probably indicates compression OK. It run OK, on the short runs in/out of marina, 20-30 minutes or so at a time. I purchased this boat two years ago and don't know much of the engine's history. It's underpowered for this boat so I am looking at other options. Engine is out on the palet, can be crated but shipping is a significant factor. Transmission was OK, no problems there. If you just need parts, and easy to get parts, I could do that.

Paul
Forgot, my 12 runs OK, although it is underpowered for my boat and usual WX conditions around here. I am looking more for a learning project (and spares) with this 8.

I hope you have more vertical clearance in the engine bay than me for a replacement, mine is really crammed in, especially the overhead.

Let me know where your YSM8 is at so I can factor transport in a bit and make an offer.
If you're in TX no prob, but it's a long way to the borders (except Mexico) for me. Part of my career involved logistics, so I might get around that.


Bestahook, my manual(s) (for an older model) shows the YSx's are a 'cylinder sleeved' design.
Tx J is offline  
Old 26-10-2013, 14:16   #8
Registered User

Join Date: May 2013
Boat: Golden Gate 30
Posts: 80
Re: Yanmar YSM8 whole or parts

We use an outboard in our CD27, because the prior owner ripped out the YSM8 along with all the relevant hardware. The cost of installation was too high for us to mess with, so we mounted an outboard and found the performance slightly better than what most people claim with the YSM8 (oddly enough...).

That said, we have a friend who has a 27 with a 2GM20F installed, which performs really well. If you are going to repower, you might see about finding one. I've seen a few listed recently in the $2500-$3000 range that were in good condition. I believe he had to rebuild the engine bed, though.

Just some things to consider....
Adodero is offline  
Old 26-10-2013, 18:17   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8
Re: Yanmar YSM8 whole or parts

Engine is in Texas 77840. Sorry, I don't know if it has a sleeve.
wetdog is offline  
Old 26-10-2013, 22:59   #10
Registered User
 
Dexterbase's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Monterey, CA
Boat: Alan Wright, One-off, Kauri Modified full keel 31'
Posts: 82
Re: Yanmar YSM8 whole or parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
We use an outboard in our CD27, because the prior owner ripped out the YSM8 along with all the relevant hardware. The cost of installation was too high for us to mess with, so we mounted an outboard and found the performance slightly better than what most people claim with the YSM8 (oddly enough...).

That said, we have a friend who has a 27 with a 2GM20F installed, which performs really well. If you are going to repower, you might see about finding one. I've seen a few listed recently in the $2500-$3000 range that were in good condition. I believe he had to rebuild the engine bed, though.

Just some things to consider....
I'd LOVE to find a 2GM20 in the $2500-3000 price range!!! I have one in pieces that I need to rebuild.
Dexterbase is offline  
Old 27-10-2013, 13:44   #11
Registered User
 
endoftheroad's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Key West
Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Posts: 1,159
Re: Yanmar YSM8 whole or parts

I think they are sleeved, someone will chime in and let us know for sure.
__________________

endoftheroad is offline  
 

Tags
parts, yanmar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.