Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2013, 09:54   #1

Whisker Pole.

Needing a minimum 30' Whisker Pole for a crossing. If you have one please give me a shout. I live in San Diego, CA and we will figure out the shipping.

Burt

Old 24-08-2013, 11:40   #2

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34
Re: Whisker Pole.

I have a pole that is suspended from the ceiling in my storage shed and is somewhat difficult to access. But I'm quite certain it is a Forespar product and that it is the largest whisker pole they offer.

The inner tube, since replaced, was broken several years ago in a race to Mexico. Extending one of these poles with a big sail in big air and big seas is not a great idea.

The outer tube is 14' overall. The inner tube, 3.5" o.d., extends 17 1/2" beyond the outer tube when fully withdrawn. This is a little longer than the original tube, in that when it was replaced, this longer length was the closest option I was given as a replacement. It can easily be cut down if one desires.

End fittings are not offered with the pole. I removed the end fittings to use on a carbon fibre pole when I was lucky enough to find one on Ebay

Price: $800.00 plus shipping though, considering the length, shipping would be somewhat problematic.

Old 24-08-2013, 20:08   #3

Boat: Pearson 40

Have a approx. 21' pole, aluminum, 5", good condition. Located in Ft Lauderdale, Fl. Weighs approx. 50-60 lbs

Interested?
Old 26-08-2013, 12:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seighlor View Post
I have a pole that is suspended from the ceiling in my storage shed and is somewhat difficult to access. But I'm quite certain it is a Forespar product and that it is the largest whisker pole they offer.

The inner tube, since replaced, was broken several years ago in a race to Mexico. Extending one of these poles with a big sail in big air and big seas is not a great idea.

The outer tube is 14' overall. The inner tube, 3.5" o.d., extends 17 1/2" beyond the outer tube when fully withdrawn. This is a little longer than the original tube, in that when it was replaced, this longer length was the closest option I was given as a replacement. It can easily be cut down if one desires.

End fittings are not offered with the pole. I removed the end fittings to use on a carbon fibre pole when I was lucky enough to find one on Ebay

Price: $800.00 plus shipping though, considering the length, shipping would be somewhat problematic.

Thanks for the rapid response, What is the age of the pole , condition, and I assume it is overall length is 31.5'. Is that right? Also, Do you know what exact ends that will be needed? And help me to discover where they might be and costs for new ones. I will be in FL in Jan, however commercial air will not allow! Also what type of deck chalks do I need. First time user of a pole.
Thanks,
Burt
Old 26-08-2013, 12:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverp40 View Post
Have a approx. 21' pole, aluminum, 5", good condition. Located in Ft Lauderdale, Fl. Weighs approx. 50-60 lbs

Interested?
Yes , provided the age, condition and COST of your fine pole. Make as-well if you know it and please let me know.

Best Regards,

Burt
Old 01-09-2013, 17:08   #6

Wink Re: Whisker Pole.

Quote:

Are you still there? Burt
Old 19-09-2013, 07:14   #7

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Burt, sorry for the delay. No, the overall length would be something less than 31.5 feet in that, to retain structural integrity, a part of the smaller tube telescopes within the larger tube. Best to check with West Marine or Defender for prices on Forespar pole components. In addition to the pole fittings, you will need a mating toggle to attach the pole onto the mast. Of course you can use deck chocks. I prefer not to in that, particularly with a heavy pole, the chocks become a source of leaks. I attach the pole to the stanchions on my boat. Forespar makes fittings for this or you can just lash the pole to the life lines or stanchions.
Mac
Old 19-09-2013, 08:58   #8

Quote:
Burt, sorry for the delay. No, the overall length would be something less than 31.5 feet in that, to retain structural integrity, a part of the smaller tube telescopes within the larger tube. Best to check with West Marine or Defender for prices on Forespar pole components. In addition to the pole fittings, you will need a mating toggle to attach the pole onto the mast. Of course you can use deck chocks. I prefer not to in that, particularly with a heavy pole, the chocks become a source of leaks. I attach the pole to the stanchions on my boat. Forespar makes fittings for this or you can just lash the pole to the life lines or stanchions.
Mac
Mac, As it turns out the actual size of the pole is less than antipacited. Still would like to purchase your pole subect to bottom line price, What might that be ? The shipping is going to be about $140. Burt in San Diego, Thanks for the needed above info.