Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2013, 09:22   #1

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544
WANTED: SHORT NOTICE COASTAL CRUISER ADVENTURERS

Forum Members: Feel free to weigh in if you feel that the following is fraught with potential pitfalls!

I have purchased, sight unseen, except for some pictures, a 1978 Catalina 25’ fixed keel sloop day sailor from a gentleman, who is a defense industry professional. The boat has a Garmin chart plotter, a Raymarine tiller pilot & an outboard engine. She will be equipped with a Porti-Potti, a cooler and a propane camp stove, not palatial by any stretch. She has no dodger, no bimini and the water system has not been used in years. My original intent was to sail her from Harve de Grace, MD (upper Chesapeake) down through the Chesapeake, stopping along the way, to the AICW at Norfolk. There I would enter the AICW and motor sail her to Hampstead, NC , just north of Wilmington, about mile 270 of AICW (starting at 0 at Norfolk). Events have precluded that from happening, so that Plan B was to pick her up with a trailer and drive her south, which is still viable.
Then I got to thinking (always dangerous) that perhaps there were some adventurous folks out there who would enjoy doing the same thing this time of the year. THIS IS NOT A PAID DELIVERY! I am offering a found boat for a coastal cruise, free of charge, from the northern Chesapeake, down the entire bay and south on the AICW, for the two to three weeks required for a laid back trip. Any interested parties would be expected to cover their own transportation, food and expenses. References and modest coastal sailing resume required.
Please understand that this is not a commitment, rather a inquiry for an expression of interest, with a time frame of late October through about November 15. I apologize for the short notice and I realize that it will limit the number of people who might be able to take advantage of my offer. I would meet the party at the boat in Harve de Grace, MD, supply them with the necessary paperwork for the trip, meet the boat in Hampstead, NC, and anything else agreed upon. The navigational data is contained within the Garmin chart plotter and I will supply paper charts, if needed.
If interested, please send me a Private Message and we will exchange information and brainstorm.
Old 20-10-2013, 10:01   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: WANTED: SHORT NOTICE COASTAL CRUISER ADVENTURERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post

Forum Members: Feel free to weigh in if you feel that the following is fraught with potential pitfalls!

I have purchased, sight unseen, except for some pictures, a 1978 Catalina 25’ fixed keel sloop day sailor from a gentleman, who is a defense industry professional. The boat has a Garmin chart plotter, a Raymarine tiller pilot & an outboard engine. She will be equipped with a Porti-Potti, a cooler and a propane camp stove, not palatial by any stretch. She has no dodger, no bimini and the water system has not been used in years. My original intent was to sail her from Harve de Grace, MD (upper Chesapeake) down through the Chesapeake, stopping along the way, to the AICW at Norfolk. There I would enter the AICW and motor sail her to Hampstead, NC , just north of Wilmington, about mile 270 of AICW (starting at 0 at Norfolk). Events have precluded that from happening, so that Plan B was to pick her up with a trailer and drive her south, which is still viable.
Then I got to thinking (always dangerous) that perhaps there were some adventurous folks out there who would enjoy doing the same thing this time of the year. THIS IS NOT A PAID DELIVERY! I am offering a found boat for a coastal cruise, free of charge, from the northern Chesapeake, down the entire bay and south on the AICW, for the two to three weeks required for a laid back trip. Any interested parties would be expected to cover their own transportation, food and expenses. References and modest coastal sailing resume required.
Please understand that this is not a commitment, rather a inquiry for an expression of interest, with a time frame of late October through about November 15. I apologize for the short notice and I realize that it will limit the number of people who might be able to take advantage of my offer. I would meet the party at the boat in Harve de Grace, MD, supply them with the necessary paperwork for the trip, meet the boat in Hampstead, NC, and anything else agreed upon. The navigational data is contained within the Garmin chart plotter and I will supply paper charts, if needed.
If interested, please send me a Private Message and we will exchange information and brainstorm.
what about heat?
Old 21-10-2013, 14:32   #3

Boat: Bayliner 2355, looking for a Whitby

Heat? I thought that was what the tequila was for....

on a more serious note now....you say you bought the boat but have you even been on it or seen it in person yet? maybe I missed something in the message......
Old 21-10-2013, 18:33   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

No bimini, No dodger, November? No way.
Old 21-10-2013, 18:36   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

TRAILER!
Old 21-10-2013, 18:49   #6

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

This sounds like a fun trip.

What all do I have to pay you for to get to do it?

I have a lot of experience in Hobie cats and sailing prams !
Old 22-10-2013, 11:11   #7

Boat: Custom, Ingrid ketch/cutter, 39.5 LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
TRAILER!
now that just defeats the purpose of a sailboat... I think the purchaser can't afford to trailer her, or he wouldn't be asking for a free delivery... Does sound like a fun trip though... You'd wanna check her over well... Make sure her rig has a solid footing under her... I have seen a few that were jello...
Old 22-10-2013, 13:38   #8

ijiraq, As her owner, I concur that a trailer defeats the purpose and would love to sail her myself. Unfortunately, time wise, my wife just bought a 36' trawler on the Upper Mississippi, which we need to try to get south before the "big muddy" freezes over. I am just flat running out of time to do it all, so it comes down to using one of my sailboat trailers to retrieve her or allowing someone else to have the enjoyment of the trip. George
Old 22-10-2013, 14:08   #9

Boat: Bayliner 2355, looking for a Whitby

I like your wife!!!! she sounds like me....lol.
Old 22-10-2013, 14:56   #10

Boat: islandpacket
I would suggest going over the boat before you splash it. You dont want to just put it in the water and go with out checking it out.
Old 22-10-2013, 15:07   #11

Badsanta, I apologize for not stating that the boat had 2 coats of bottom paint applied this spring and was splashed shortly after. She has been in the water and sporadically used all season. My profession was as an airline pilot. I don't operate any vehicle without checking it out thoroughly first. My wife calls it airline anal! George
Old 22-10-2013, 16:19   #12

Boat: islandpacket

It sounded like it had'nt been used in a while. My bad. Have a great trip.
Old 23-10-2013, 15:12   #13

I just got an Email from somebody purporting to be the OP, but they wanted my email address and phone number without giving their own. I assumed it was a phishing scam, as a person who would not trust me with their phone number would hardly trust me with a valuable boat.

But I also wonder, why would a couple who can afford to buy 2 boats in as many months, not afford to pay an honest delivery crew for their work.

I am sure there is a reasonable explanation, but I am a born sceptic. Thanks, but No Thanks.
Old 23-10-2013, 18:08   #14

Boat: Custom, Ingrid ketch/cutter, 39.5 LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post
I just got an Email from somebody purporting to be the OP, but they wanted my email address and phone number without giving their own. I assumed it was a phishing scam, as a person who would not trust me with their phone number would hardly trust me with a valuable boat.

But I also wonder, why would a couple who can afford to buy 2 boats in as many months, not afford to pay an honest delivery crew for their work.

-good point. While we're on a roll I just bought a boat down in NC, but now I am broke, I was wondering if anyone would sail it up to Ellesmere Island for me? Free trip, and you pay the gas. The boat was bought sight unseen, no survey too... but i assure you she has a fresh coat of paint....

Owner: Why not just store it and sail her when you get time? The trip would be a blast, good way to get to know your boat! That is what you bought her for! Storage for a 27 footer on the hard is not expensive... (I am not interested by the way, I was sarcastic... I don't think it is a safe bet for someone to take you up on this, you don't even know the condition of the vessel. I think if that is the option you choose, hire a pro to deliver her, at least they will be able to give her a go over from experienced eyes... Would you sail her up not knowing her condition?

I just made a gamble purchase myself, but for the price, if i loose its not huge, but I guarantee you I will spend a solid 2 weeks going over that boat and refitting as necessary before I even think to put her to sea.

I am sure there is a reasonable explanation, but I am a born sceptic. Thanks, but No Thanks.
-When I was on here a few years back, that stuff never crossed my mind... Now 2 out of maybe 20 boats I narrowed my choices to were scams.... Hard to sift now through what is real and what isn't...
Old 23-10-2013, 18:22   #15

The first 2 paragraphs in the above quote are from my comment, as is the final sentence.

The rest is NOT from my comment.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, wanted