Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2004, 17:42   #1

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Wanted: Sewing Machine

I am looking for a portable sewing machine capable of doing sail repair and canvas work. Please reply here if you have one. Thanks, Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 09-08-2004, 06:17   #2

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
Hi
I assume you are talking about a used machine. I wouldn't bother and heres why;

I'm on my 3rd machine & my 2nd sailrite (http://www.sailrite.com/) My first was an old singer portable and I pretty much just gave it away after I got my first sailrite (these people should pay me for the many testimonials I've written) It was one of their low end models and I bought it new for about $300 as I recall around 10 or 11 years ago. Two years ago I purchased a new LSZ-1 and put my old Sailrite Yachtsman on ebay and sold it for $270.00. I had used it a lot and kept it well maintained. Except for the case which was stained, battered, you know, boat stuff, it looked as good as new.

My point is that they don't seem to depreciate. So just buy a new one. The support is fantastic. One hook that the sailrite folks have is that they assume you are going to be at sea when something breaks so they give you the whole boook and a CD when you by the machine so you can fix anything by yourself. The machine is a Thompson walking foot frame that they have customized and I've been very happy with mine. A bit pricey tho at $750.00 but I bought mine for my retirement as I intend to do some canvas work for $$. I've done a lot with my old machine and quite a bit already with this new one and the difference and benefits of the walking foot are tremendous and well worth the money in my opinion. This weekend we made cushions for the cockpit of a friends sailboat. It's a great machine and If it is in your price range you won't go wrong and you'll never wear it out.

My two cents worth

Greg
Old 12-07-2007, 14:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier
I am looking for a portable sewing machine capable of doing sail repair and canvas work. Please reply here if you have one. Thanks, Chuck
I have a Sailrite Yachtsman (older model than today's models) that sews very well and will come with a few extras. Where are you located? The machine is a sturdy one (fairly heavy) and shipping might be costly. I am from Oklahoma 74075. Let me know if you are interested.

Don
Old 12-07-2007, 16:30   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Don, That post was three years ago. We bought a new Sailrite when they had a special deal going but thanks.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek