Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 05:10   #1
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
wanted -Optimist sail boat

im Looking for an old Optimist for my Grand kids , somewhere on the US east coast
Old 01-11-2008, 08:14   #2

Good for you Gramps, nice to see folks getting the youngsters out on the water with a good trainer. You might try any of the clubs with sailing camps or race teams, they'll have older Opti's for sail at a reasonable price. Or, you may sign him/her up for sailing school at one of those clubs. The kids love being in a group and sailing with their buds.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:34   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Joli
I have found a few since I posted the ad this morning,I started out myself the same age as my Grandson (8) and Grand daughter (6) and somehow my daughter loved it until she discovered boys,then forgot about it- so maybe this time it will stick.

The only sailing club/school here is so expensive about $1000 a year to join per kid (Palm Beach) soooo thats not an option,ive found one asking $650
Old 01-11-2008, 11:11   #4

Why don't you build it yourself?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:47   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

oldsalt, good idea i did check into that-
looks as if i can buy a good used one cheaper or the same price than i can build one,
but im still looking, at my options
Old 01-11-2008, 13:01   #6

Thats terrible,

$1k for a kid? Send them to us, we have Jr memberships for $35 and that includes full use of the club, race boats (opti's, CJ's, 420's, Thistles) coaches, and teeshirts. Lessons for the little tikes are $100 and if family money is tight we have a scholarship program. No kid left behind, everyone is welcome to sail in Sandusky if they want.

Maybe there is a community sailing program through the Y or the city? Just a thought.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:07   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

WOw , you would think in an area like Palm Beach- we would have that---I WIsh that was availabule around here, but I kinda think this club is gearded toward folks with a bit more income (Palm Beachers) there is a scout club here but the kids have to be 14 years old to be involved with the sailing-

I found a few really nice boats, Lasers, Sunfish and Optimists-- and will pick one out in the next week or two, with a trailer for around $500-700
with prices dropping ,I have a feeling no ones buying-or selling so its bargin time

, Im happy to get the kids started and intrested in it, thats easy to do at there age 8 & 6. But wish they had a few other kids to keep them compney

Joli
sounds as if your involved do you have a website I can look at?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:20   #8

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
My Grandpa started me sailing Enterprises when I was six. Cold and wet in the UK summer but exciting and adult.... racing Lasers against other kids a few years later was what sealed the deal.

For those ages the Optimist seems more controllable than a laser, something they are more likely to be able to sail on their own.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:24   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Check the bulletin boards at some of the local yacht clubs, particularly the Lauderdale YC. There always seem to be a few Opti's available at reasonable prices. I'd also look into local YC Jr. sailing programs. These are very inexpensive and few require that the kids' parents be members. In fact, quite a few were looking for kids this past summer.

On the other hand, a very fond memory is learning how to sail with "Gramps" (and especially splashing around learning how to recover from and overturned boat!).

Good luck!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Tags
day sailing