Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2010, 06:38   #1

Want to Buy Boat for My Dreams Come True

so my mother give me 2500$ and tell me go and see the world now i am working in baltimore ireland on an refit of an old boat painting maintenance and so (its volunary i get food and sleep)I d like to see the world and for that kind of money ( in poland not exactly a years salary thats some money) a boat would be a choice i have a coastal skipper license so i think i could go along the limit with the shores and to do the crossings i need a yacht-master to travel with me so kind regard lucas from poland
Old 13-07-2010, 11:44   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
you're kidding right? $2500. That's all? That won't pay to provision for a trip across the pond. You might need a second job and a few years to save up some more.
Old 13-07-2010, 12:09   #3

?

u can get nice deals when people want get rid of their boats and then some might want to give their boat in to good chance since they have had been restoring her for years and now switched to smth bigger and just dont want to see her standing at the back yard doing nothing and am sure that they might have the idea that there are are a lot of people that share their passion and so....
Old 13-07-2010, 12:24   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
It is hard to find a seaworthy boat for that much money but I'll bet if you keep looking you will find it. Search every boatyard that you can and ask lots of questions.
Good luck.
Kind regards,
Old 13-07-2010, 12:29   #5

i already found and its got auto helm so will not be restricted to crew limitations
Old 13-07-2010, 13:29   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Just curious - what did you find?

Also, what makes you believe having an autopilot is any guarantee you don't need a crew?
Old 13-07-2010, 13:31   #7

does not restrict me means i put out sea anchor and go to sleep
Old 14-07-2010, 07:09   #8

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
OMG, ROTFLMAO !!!!!

Now I see why I stayed in school for so many years....
Old 14-07-2010, 09:10   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
Use the money to position yourself towards a good job - this may mean making some courses that will give you the skills that are in demand locally - welder, cook, bartender - whatever gives you best earnings (check local market for what jobs are available and how they are paid).

2500 spent this way is quite a lot and will improve your chances of making more bucks sooner.

I have seen decent boats that can take 1 or 2 people on an extended trip for around 10000 Euro (12000 USD or so). You can make this kind of money in a year or so, IF you have a good job. Then you will need some money to get the boat ready and some more to just keep on going - but again, with a good job in hand - it will be easier to find jobs in the places you visit.

2500 USD will not buy you the boat, BUT it can buy you the ticket to getting the boat with your future earnings.

b.
Old 14-07-2010, 11:22   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Cdennyb,
Not everyone in the world is a rich American with unlimited opportunities.
regards,
Old 14-07-2010, 12:00   #11

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
you're kidding right? $2500. That's all? That won't pay to provision for a trip across the pond. You might need a second job and a few years to save up some more.
Now c'mon babe - you can provision one guy for about 7 USD per day down here. If there are two, and one of them is a good cook, they will do on 15 USD per day or less. Makes like 500 USD for two for a month.

So, the two of me and my first mate can provision for 5 months @ 2500, and you cannot make a single crossing? How wide is the ocean at your place and how slow is your boat then?

Just to keep things in a perspective - 2500 is not a lot, but it is a good start.

b. .
Old 17-07-2010, 15:03   #12

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI
Invest your cash

I heard there was a guy called Madoff that would take your money,
Old 18-07-2010, 01:24   #13
cruiser

Location: Usually somewhere that Triangulum Australe is in sight.
Boat: 28 foot steel sloop, Fiddler
I bought my houseboat project for $500aud, bargains are about and you don't need a 42 foot boat to have as much fun! Bigger the boat does not equate to bigger p.... Two forums visited today and two times I have been highly disappointed to see negative snipes in threads? Good on this guy for wanting to do something different...
Old 18-07-2010, 03:58   #14

Boat: C&C 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
Now I see why I stayed in school for so many years....
I suspect that you did not spent all those years in charm school.

Come on give the guy a break. If you have something to say be nice.
Old 21-07-2010, 05:11   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr
Way to Go!!!

I bought my first and only "dream" boat, a '76 Columbia 9.6 off Craigs list for 1500.00 and I have to keep a heavy, positive attitude to keep my "dream" from turning into a nightmare! Everything is so expensive! I find it a challenge to find salvage parts such as ships portholes to replace the plastic, caulked and screwed to the cabin and called "good'? Learning about major issues such as keel to hull joint leaks etc. Finding leaks all over the cabin and not even in the water! The motor has to replaced, the rigging must be replaced, yadda yadda yadda.... but I am living my "dream" I live for the boat, I have a positive goal, no longer wondering what I will be when I "grow up". I am learning about things that I used to read about as an "arm chair" sailor. I will say that it is like eating an elephant... take only one bite at a time! I can remember now my first posts on this forum begging for a free boat, so I have progressed nicely and that is a good feeling. Keep it positive and don't give up. I am using all the skills learned in the past, all the tools that I have collected and all the intellect that I can muster! It is quite the challenge, but a challenge worth taking on!! So good luck and best wishes to you my friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my boat.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	17881   Click image for larger version

Name:	my boat 2.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	17882