Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2012, 20:52   #1

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Velocity Aircraft (Homebuilt 4 seater) for possible trade

I have a homebuilt airplane which was in great flying condition the last time I flew her.

I probably need to sell her, but thought I would "troll" for interest here first. I would consider a partial trade against a multihull cruising class sailboat (i.e. not a wharram, but maybe a Gemini, or ideally an older Lagoon)

Low engine hours (<100), a full panel, autopilot, 4 seater, cruises at 187kts 9g/h, retractable gear, variable prop

It's a great plane, but I can't maintain it, and it has been idle for 9 years. It needs all the work you would expect a plane of 9 years to need - hydraulics and an engine checkout. Also,
- a side window is cracked
- the gear lifts may need adjustment
- it has an ivoprop, which has been modified for the engine. You may prefer to replace the prop, but so far the installed prop has been ok.
- engine has not run in 9 years
- there is a hydraulic leak
- all other seals and rubber should be checked and possibly replaced
- the exterior is a little rough. Needs some touch up work, and would benefit from new paint.
- the panel is good and complete, but is somewhat old fashioned compared to more modern glass cockpits.

The plane has good integrity, but needs the attention of an owner with time and mechanical interest, neither of which I have. I mean, I could take care of a sailboat (mechanically) but not an aircraft.
Old 31-07-2012, 19:01   #2

Re: Velocity Aircraft (Homebuilt 4 seater) for possible trade

I sent you a PM. Please give me a call so we can discuss details.
Thanks,
Josh
Old 06-08-2012, 02:43   #3

Boat: Prout 37

What the F*** is it?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:46   #4

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggie View Post
What the F*** is it?
What is F*** is what? Did you read the post? It's pretty obvious that it's an airplane.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Old 06-08-2012, 12:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

What model Velocity? Pictures?? I researched these years ago before getting into Mooneys, they are very capable kit aircraft with a good safety record, fuel efficient, quiet (the prop is behind the cabin ie a pusher,) cheap to maintain compared to a production aircraft as the parts are very inexpensive and often you can find an owner/mechanic to do an inexpensive annual. After selling a very expensive top end new Mooney which required $6800 per year for insurance and $3000 basic annuals for an award winning Van RV6 which cost $600 for insurance and $500 for an annual I am a believer in kit aircraft. If the fiberglass is rough be aware it can take many, many hours of sanding to get rid of the typical pinholes prior to painting and the painting can be expensive (not like applying bottom paint.) The Rutan design with a front canard makes them practically stall proof. Also, they are very cool looking especially the model with the winglets. It would be appropriate to have someone that knows Velocity aircraft very well to do a pre-buy checkout as not all owner builders should be building aircraft and obviously it isn't a good thing for an airframe or an engine to sit for nine years (watch out for pitting on the cams, some would say the engine needs to be overhauled just based on this fact alone.) The likelihood of finding someone with an appropriate multihull that is in the market for this type of aircraft is pretty slim. Hopefully this post will be considered helpful and fair to potential buyers and to the seller.

Tags
trade