Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 16:12   #1

Boat: 1976 - Iroquois - MKIIa
Trade Raymarine P70 for ST6002+

I just recently purchased a Raymarine Smart Pilot with the newer P70 Contorl Head, but I did not do my research. The P70 is based on the SeaTalk NG backbone, while the rest of my instrumentation (C80 MFD and ST60 instruements) work on the older SeaTalk backbone

One option would be to buy the SeaTalk to SeaTalkNG convertor for about $100, but Raymarine site only list the ST60+ instruments as compatible. Not sure if my ST60 instruments would be compatible, although I presented this to Raymarine Customer Service and they said it is?

The other option would be just to buy a SeaTalk compatible Controller head for the Smart Pilot. Raymarine recommended this as an option, using the ST6002+ as a direct replacement for the P70.

So, does anybody happen to be looking at upgrading and want to do a straight trade (assuming your ST6002+ is in good condition!)? Or if you have a ST6002+ for sale, you can PM me with your asking price and I can then sell my P70.

Just thought I would throw it out there!

Thanks

Todd
Old 08-01-2013, 02:12   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Hi, even though they say you need the seatalk to seatalk ng converter you dont. Run your seatalk instuments straight to the seatalk connection spots on the computer and it will work. Ive recently done this and it works fine. Make sure you add the supplied plugs to either end of the backbone as it wont work without this. Took me hours to work that out.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:03   #3

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbrsd View Post
I just recently purchased a Raymarine Smart Pilot with the newer P70 Contorl Head, but I did not do my research. The P70 is based on the SeaTalk NG backbone, while the rest of my instrumentation (C80 MFD and ST60 instruements) work on the older SeaTalk backbone

One option would be to buy the SeaTalk to SeaTalkNG convertor for about $100, but Raymarine site only list the ST60+ instruments as compatible. Not sure if my ST60 instruments would be compatible, although I presented this to Raymarine Customer Service and they said it is?

The other option would be just to buy a SeaTalk compatible Controller head for the Smart Pilot. Raymarine recommended this as an option, using the ST6002+ as a direct replacement for the P70.

So, does anybody happen to be looking at upgrading and want to do a straight trade (assuming your ST6002+ is in good condition!)? Or if you have a ST6002+ for sale, you can PM me with your asking price and I can then sell my P70.

Just thought I would throw it out there!

Thanks

Todd
Yes, your ST60 instruments will work with the SeaTalkNG converter. The SeaTalk I bus is the same for ST60 and ST60+. The converter and the right cables+terminations will solve your problem.

Dan
Old 08-01-2013, 07:28   #4

Re: Trade Raymarine P70 for ST6002+

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Yes, your ST60 instruments will work with the SeaTalkNG converter. The SeaTalk I bus is the same for ST60 and ST60+. The converter and the right cables+terminations will solve your problem.

Dan
Thanks Dan,

I just got an email from Raymarine to that effect. Also indicated that the ST6002 (no plus) as well as the ST7002+ and ST8002+ are also compatible with the SmartPilot.

I guess I am just a bit naive and concerned that if I buy the ST to STNG converter kit, at about $100 that it will be all inclusive of what I need with out having to start buying another connector or plug, etc. Perhaps I will download the ST to STNG converter kit manual and read up a bit on it.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 08:12   #5

Boat: Victoire 1122

You may also consider the power usage of the P70 compared to the ST6002. The nice and shiny color LCD comes at a cost...

Cheers,

Arno
Old 08-01-2013, 14:51   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi, you dont need the converter, yes i know that is whats suggested but if you plug the seatalk instruments straight to the seatalk terminals on the computer it will work fine. Obviously your control head connects to the seatalkng terminals. Raymarine agent at Phuket Thailand told me this as i had the same issue as you, i did it and it works perfectly.
Old 08-01-2013, 15:12   #7

Well since I am not going to be ready to put the boat in the water for another 3 months, perhaps I will just try it without the converter as has been suggested.

This really all started with me looking at purchasing a Smart Controller for the SmartPilot and my concern that it would not communicate with the P70 STNG. Anyone have first hand knowledge in that regard, before I purchase one?

Thanks

Todd

Tags
raymarine, trade