Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2015, 05:09   #1

Steel catamaran?

Dear Cruisers,

I would like your advice on the following: I'm looking for a suitable long distance cruiser and one of my searches has been for a steel catamaran (or trimaran even). Now this seems to be the proverbial hens teeth...I found only two within my budget (both sold now), but was wondering what you, as the cruising community, think of this?
- Steel because of the durability and increased seagoing ability in heavy seas and weather. However, surely this affects the actual handling? I'm not looking for a high performance cruiser, but would like to be able to get to 7-8 knots with relative ease.
What is your opinion on steel vs. grp on these yachts? I have looked at a number of boats that have originally been commissioned as steel survey or research vessels, and have been impressed with their quality, layout and pricing.
- Size-wise I'm looking at 45ft and bigger, but have strayed and looked at Lagoon 38 and 40 too for instance. Ideally something with at least 3 double cabins, but preferably 4 or more, and at least two heads.
- Budget: up to US$150,000 but at the top end that requires a yacht that meets all my needs and is ready to go without too much needing to be spent. I'm happy to look at yachts that need some work, but am not looking at complete 'project boats' or unfinished builds.
- Yachts can be located anywhere in the world. Have passport, will travel...And this is only a 2016 and beyond plan, so no urgency, but if the right opportunity presents itself, I'm ready to jump into it.

Looking forward to your reactions!

Best regards,

Filip

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-06-2015, 06:29   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Steel catamaran?

45+ feet.

Steel.

$150,000 maximum.

You will have a better chance looking for hen's teeth…

BTW, steel is simply silly for a multihull. If you want metal, go with aluminum.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Tags
catamaran, steel