Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2013, 17:18   #1

Slip rental wanted in Charleston, SC

Hello all,

We are in Charleston, SC looking for a slip for our 30 ft sailboat (6ft draft). If anyone has even an empty corner somewhere, we'd be glad to pay a couple hundred / month. We'd like to find a place to leave the boat for several months, possibly next spring. We are trying to sail her home to New York, but we've got some gremlins in the new electric drive and the weather isn't cooperating. (After a year and half cruising everywhere from Greenland to Morocco, and a complete rebuild after a complete sinking, it is about time to think about "gainful employment" ...)

Very grateful for any info!

Thank you,

Alex
Old 18-10-2013, 02:49   #2

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb
Re: Slip rental wanted in Charleston, SC

I don't know about charleston...but new bern....n.c...has slips...my sister lives down there. she was from new york,,,and had a boat up in ny.....but sold it....I been down there and they have a lot of slip...cheap.....hope this helps.......
Old 20-10-2013, 05:14   #3

Boat: Catalina 27
Hi Alex,
Try out Mariners Cay Marina in the Folly River. It's quiet, private, and has a fulltime dockmaster. Good place to park a boat and not worry about it. I'm not sure of the rates as each slip is privately owned, but I'm paying $175/mo for a 27. I can't imagine other slips being much different. The dockmaster rents a bunch of the bank owned slips. His name is Brian.
Old 20-10-2013, 05:23   #4
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Or sunset cay a little closer up the folly. Slips can be rented from some of the owners of the slip. See Chris the dockmaster and hell point you in the right direction. And please be aware of the changing nature of the river. The cut just before sunset cay goes across a sandbar and is as low as 2' at low tide. Channel is Not as seen on charts as buoys have been moved. Once you get used to leaving and entering on the right tide stage its no problem.
Old 20-10-2013, 05:36   #5

Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52

Sunset Cay On Folly, outside of Charleston is the place to look. We own a dock there but it is already rented. It's a 45ft and we get $200 a month. When approaching the marina stay close to the right/starboard due to a long shoal of sand on the port side. Especially when at the marina. The "island" that shows up at low tide has a dramatic drop off but there is a deep cut between it and the marina.
Old 20-10-2013, 07:21   #6

Folly river has been dredged. Good depth all the way in. Can come in at low tide with over 10 ft of depth.
Old 20-10-2013, 17:55   #7

Boat: Catalina 27
Yup Sunset Cay is a good place too. I have a friend who keeps her floating condo there. I draw 4'10" and routinely transit between Stono River and Folly River.
If you are in Charleston Harbor take the ICW south about one mile (Wappo Cut) and follow Stono down to Folly. Try to make Stono/Folly river transition at high tide and you should have no issues.
Old 21-10-2013, 08:17   #8

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Pretty affordable for Charleston, did not know about these condo docks. I'd like to spend another winter there sometime, will file these away, thanks.

Spent a winter at Buzzards Roost on the Stono. Closer to my home in the NC mountains than the NC coast is

Tags
wanted