Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 19:23   #1

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40
Selling My S2 9.2 CC - Need Some Advice

I am getting ready to put my boat on the market and have never sold a boat before. I don't know if I should use a broker or list it on the Internet myself. I have taken lots of pictures that I guess I will need to upload somewhere. I would like advice on the best way to advertise and what info I should have available to prospective buyers. thanks to anyone who responds....
Old 07-08-2010, 19:46   #2

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Hi WW! Why dont you try posting the boat right here. It's free, it is viewed by millions (well, maybe), and it's a good trial. Post up some pics and a good description. Never know who's lurking around here...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 07-08-2010, 22:35   #3

As a newbie and in the process of possibly buying my first boat. As a buyer I would like to see basic pics of interior, exterior, engine and an extensive spec sheet and and survey if available. Would also like to a list of items of any work completed or items replaced.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:17   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
As a newbie and in the process of possibly buying my first boat. As a buyer I would like to see basic pics of interior, exterior, engine and an extensive spec sheet and and survey if available. Would also like to a list of items of any work completed or items replaced.
Ditto, adding that extensive rather than basic images are really important.

OS
Old 12-08-2010, 16:19   #5

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM
we sold our 1980 completely redone sailboat, using an internet ad, for the asking price to the second people who saw it. (the 1st people thought it was cute to offer 1/2 of the $24,000 asking price...) we priced it realistically at 24K$ after researching what other boats of that kind went for on the internet. we had a link to our website with 25 pictures of the exterior and interior and also posted our 'upgrades and maintenance logs.' we had a fine experience selling the boat ourselves and saved a 10% brokers fee. admittedly, our choice to do it ourselves and not use the local broker was a factor. the local broker left a lot to be desired as we found that they would 'steer' people to buy a new H** or B** which lines they repped, instead of seriously marketing any private seller's used boats... a further note: if you are selling a boat during the sail season, you can offer a test sail BUT you will find a lot of lookers wasting your time for a free ride, not really serious about buying the the boat. we sold ours at the beginning of the sailing season -- it was still winterized and on its winter stand. we agreed that the buyer could launch the boat for a sea trial only AFTER an offer to purchase was made and accepted, and a professional survey obtained. under our contract , Buyer had to forfeit the 10 per cent down payment AND bear the cost of re-hauling and re-winterizing the boat if the sea trial and survey were satisfactory but they nevertheless backed out of the deal. our 'survey' clause said that minor cosmetic defects or wear items not affecting seaworthiness were not cause for cancelling the deal. (ie all winches were original Lewmars, worn but still serviceable...) but under the contract a 'major seaworthiness issue' costing in excess of $1000 to fix would be. (such as a blownout rudder warping or coming off its steel fingers.) as it turned out, the mast wiring to the spreaders for the steaming and spreader lights blew the day of the survey. cost to professionally fix: $500, which i subtracted from the price.. and they sailed away and are still very happy with the boat.
Old 18-08-2010, 14:25   #6

Boat: Lagoon 620
Send a message via Skype™ to Mustang Sally
You could also try sailboatlistings.com
Old 19-08-2010, 22:34   #7

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
For the buyer, the boat is an unknown. The more good info you can provide the buyer, the lower the buyer's risk and the smaller the financial allowance the buyer needs to provide against that risk. Brokers might be especially useful when you are distant from the boat or don't have time to prep, market, and show it; or don't know the market; or aren't comfortable with the paperwork; or have to deal with creative or unusual purchase arrangements.