Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 19:27   #1

Riviera Maya properties (me) Catamaran (you)

I am a 15 year resident of the Riviera Maya (Caribbean side of Yucatan peninsula), just south of Cancun.... I have some property here but want to go sailing... One property is 2 and a half acres of virgin jungle in a high end (jungle neighbourhood) 2 kilometers from the Xpu Beach...
I have another property closer to Playa Del Carmen (about 5 kilos from city center) that is 25 by 25 meters.
I am interested in a catamaran in the neighborhood of $60,000 to $100,000 depending on which property someone wanted to trade for...
I have done this a few times, so I can walk anyone through the ins and outs of buying land here... I have great properties - the jungle one has cave entrances and overlies an underground cenote system called Minotaur, and the city lot boasts a great community green space worthy of the Garden Of Eden...
...and no worries - I have one more property so will be planning on staying in the area! This isn't Florida swampland, this is paradise!

If you are interested to inquire - contact me... thanks...
Old 05-10-2012, 02:42   #2

Re: Riviera Maya properties (me) Catamaran (you)

Rereading my post, I clarify I have done "this" before, I refer to buying real estate... not the trading aspect... thanks.... KCee
Old 05-10-2012, 04:32   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Just curious i have been told by friends in mexico that you never really "own" property there. No title guarantee etc that the gov owns everything and can "kick" you off anytime w no compensation? One friend owns a ranch and had this happen to one of his lands as the military wanted to use it for trainimg.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:51   #4

Re: Riviera Maya properties (me) Catamaran (you)

I have never heard of a situation like that, although I would not doubt that could happen almost almost anywhere...
Foreigners can own land outright inland in Mexico, but in the 'Federal Zone', (maybe that is what your friend refers to - which is 100 kilos from border and 50 kilos from water), foreigners buy through 'Fedeicomisos' or 'Trusts' that are set up with a bank of their choice.
The other option, which I used because I was planning to move here, was to start a company that I own outright and that owns the land. This is more involved than a trust, but I was moving here and wanted the added Immigration Bonus owning a company would offer.
There is more information on this topic at Fideicomiso Answers - Judi Shaw, by Judi Shaw who has lived and worked in Playa for almost ten years.
Thank you for your question!

Tags
catamaran