Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 16:24   #1
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Project Boat for Sale..Cheap

46' Crocker, 1965, located Fort Lauderdale.

It has been worked on the last few years, new decks, new (used) masts/rigging/sails, new bow sprit, etc.

Over $50K spent in the boat, including haul and bottom job August 2012.

Recently it sank at the dock the water got over the engine and batteries, charger, etc.

The engine was pickled, water/oil pumped out and engine filled with diesel.

Owner has no more money and wants to sell it cheap, $10K or it goes on ebay.

Old 06-03-2013, 17:41   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Project boat for sale..cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
46' Crocker, 1965, located Fort Lauderdale.

It has been worked on the last few years, new decks, new (used) masts/rigging/sails, new bow sprit, etc.

Over $50K spent in the boat, including haul and bottom job August 2012.

Recently it sank at the dock the water got over the engine and batteries, charger, etc.

The engine was pickled, water/oil pumped out and engine filled with diesel.

Owner has no more money and wants to sell it cheap, $10K or it goes on ebay.

Nice looking boat ,any more photos?
Old 06-03-2013, 19:03   #3

Boat: 40' Leopard

Why did the boat sink??
Have you tried to get the engine running ??
Need more info
How much damage was done to the interior and how long was it under water
Need more Pic's
Old 06-03-2013, 19:30   #4

Don't have more pictures handy, will look around on the 'puter.
The water lever got up to the galley sink. She sat on the bottom (shallow dock) overnight before we pumped her out and got her back up again.
Sent divers down to patch the leak.
Seemed to be a plank that sprung a fastener. Been floating now for a couple of weeks.

Did not try to get the engine running. As a minimum the starter needs to be overhauled, filters changed, couple of oil changes, etc.

The interior is wood and most of it was cleaned and dried. Same with sailbags, we cleaned the sails and dried them, then put them back on the boat.

Fridge was damaged, most of the elctrical system was damaged, but we managed to get 2 of the house batteries back to life and they are now hooked up to bilge pumps.

If anybody is seriously interested, come and take a look. The boat needs a good home and knowledgable owner.
New bow sprit/platform is already made and ready to be installed, spent $6K on that project.

Dock rent is $425 per month, but the dock owner wants the boat out of there before the hurricane season. Severeal boatyards within 10 mins of of the dock. Towing with US boat is $400.00, or get the dinghy and motor going, 20 HP Nissan and RIB included, tow with dink.

The boat was a liveaboard and has crossed the Atlantic twice. New masts 3 years ago, aluminum with roller furling booms. Rigging is good.
The engine is a John Deere, 80 HP, installed 1989. ( I think,, or 1980)
Old 07-03-2013, 00:04   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Great looking boat. Geez!!...If I didn't have mine I wouldn't hesitate. I laugh at all the screwy questions. For $10, who cares whats wrong with it?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-03-2013, 06:08   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

If it was fiberglass I would go for it at 10k. Should sell quickly to a wood boat guy. It is ready to sail away, apart from engine and electrical, right?
Old 07-03-2013, 16:30   #7

Not quite ready to sail, needs a haul out and repairs and the bowsprits needs to installed, etc, etc
Old 20-04-2013, 11:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Not quite ready to sail, needs a haul out and repairs and the bowsprits needs to installed, etc, etc
Sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago
Old 20-04-2013, 11:49   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Project Boat for Sale..Cheap

What did she go for?

and did buyer collect!
Old 21-04-2013, 03:38   #10

$10k, Yes buyer is happy
Old 22-04-2013, 06:48   #11

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter
Thumbs up Re: Project Boat for Sale..Cheap

Dag, good to see you have sold the Crocker. Someone with a love for wood boats will have a beautiful cruiser-liveaboard with some time and money invested. NOW it is time you took your CSY 33 on a sail and have some fun.
Old 22-04-2013, 07:11   #12

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Sorry for your invested loss. Your story truly points out, our boats are holes on the water we pump money into.

Sure the buyer got a deal, but in two years when he posts his story on here, how will that read? Good to great chance, his experience will be much the same, or worse, cost wise. An old wooden sailboat that sunk in saltwater, with modern electrical systems, engines, could bring the gremlins of the sea up with her, to work at reclaiming her again, once and for all, one way or the other. Lets hope not.

Folks here know my experience level is for smaller sailboats on small lakes, and I would love a sailboat my large frame could stand up in, on trully open waters. However, my 56 years has taught me, such a sailboat could empty a retirement portfolio with upkeep, repairs, emergencies, dock fees and such.

Thanks for this thread, let the new owner know of this forum, would be wonderful to know how it goes for him, taking charge of such a large responsibility.
Old 22-04-2013, 10:13   #13

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I agree with GaryMayo and others, and it would be interesting to hear what the new owner has to say as it progresses.
It might of course become a quick fixer-upper and sale, or a dedicated restore job, but being wood it will be discounted by many and never now loose the stigma of a sinking.
I’m coming to the end of my two and half years major restoration, but nothing compared to what this boat will take.
Old 22-04-2013, 11:41   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Glad it sold. It is a beautiful boat and worth saving. But it won't be cheap. I wish fiberglass had been invented about 100 years earlier! Wood boats can be frightfully expensive just to keep afloat, sometimes. I can just picture that boat, built in fiberglass, and heavily too, for 10k. In my dreams!

I would like to see progress updates here, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Sorry for your invested loss. Your story truly points out, our boats are holes on the water we pump money into.

Sure the buyer got a deal, but in two years when he posts his story on here, how will that read? Good to great chance, his experience will be much the same, or worse, cost wise. An old wooden sailboat that sunk in saltwater, with modern electrical systems, engines, could bring the gremlins of the sea up with her, to work at reclaiming her again, once and for all, one way or the other. Lets hope not.

Folks here know my experience level is for smaller sailboats on small lakes, and I would love a sailboat my large frame could stand up in, on trully open waters. However, my 56 years has taught me, such a sailboat could empty a retirement portfolio with upkeep, repairs, emergencies, dock fees and such.

Usually, but not always, Gary. I have seen plenty of under 40' boats with low maintenance and little work needed, go for under 20k. Some things can't be avoided, like slip rent, but there are cheap places to keep a boat if you look around. My slip is about $2200/year, and I am paying for a bigger slip than I need (35' slip, 27' boat) because I like having 50a service and my own finger pier and my old slip was off the end of the pier, where the motorboat guys passing by would rock me awake at all hours of the day or night. My old slip was I think less than $1800/year. NOYC and South Shore Marina both have slips even cheaper. I live aboard, so I don't have to pay rent or a mortgage for a box on the dirt. So the cost of my upgrades and maintenance are largely offset by having a cheap place to live.

Yeah I bitch about how much stuff costs, like everybody else, but really, I shouldn't complain. My $2000 boat has maybe another $3000 in it, but who's counting. I'm getting my money's worth, so far. But soon I will be adding wheel steering, a pilothouse, a replacement for my Atomic, and maybe a watermaker. Solar and wind, too. Then I might feel the pinch. But even so, it's not a budget wrecker, and plenty of other boats out there aren't, either. Careful shopping, being in the right place at the right instant with cash in pocket, and a little luck can put you in something good.

I will say, though, that the market for smaller sailboats seems to be firming up. Lately I don't see anything like the $1000 30' boats that I was seeing a couple years ago. Still a buyer's market at 40' and up, though. Some good deals out there. Just gotta figure out the true cost, before writing the check.
Old 22-04-2013, 11:55   #15
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
..... Some good deals out there. Just gotta figure out the true cost, before writing the check.
Here's the process to figure the true cost:

1. Think hard and calculate what you think it may cost, if everything goes as planned.

2. Think again and calculate what it will cost if everything goes wrong, and how much it could cost....at most, i.e., your Maximum Cost Estimate.

3. Apply the equation: TC = (MCE x 10)
True Cost = Maximum Cost Estimate X 10

Don't even bother with a Maximum Time Estimate. It will cause you to go into a very deep depression.

Bill