Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2011, 17:34   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Boat: Islander 34 1969
Posts: 17
Send a message via ICQ to Lttl
Ocean-Going Sailboat 36-44'

I would like to buy ocean capable sailboat 36-44' in the Dominican Republic (preferably in Luperon bay). Year built is not important. It may need TLC or minor work.
I just came from Washington, DC and planing to spend 1 month at the resort 5 minutes from Luperon Bay, so I can be at the marina on a very short notice.
You can contact me here or drop me a line by Skype nick: schuklin or SMS to my DC phone number +1 202 6837636 (it will be forwarded to me here)

If it is right sailboat and right price - we will wrap it up quickly.
Regards,
SC
__________________

Lttl is offline  
Old 13-11-2011, 18:43   #2
TEE
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 139
Re: Ocean Going Sailboat 36-44'

Dont know what you want, but you are not to far from the BVI where there are hundreds of boats for sale. Might get a good deal if you dont' mind sailing it back to DR. You can check ads for boats on line pretty easy.
__________________

TEE is offline  
Old 13-11-2011, 18:53   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Boat: Islander 34 1969
Posts: 17
Send a message via ICQ to Lttl
Re: Ocean Going Sailboat 36-44'

Thank you! Actually, I do not need to sail it back to DR, somehow I thought it is cheaper here. I was going to get it here and go east (including BVI). Would you recommend a good site(s)
Lttl is offline  
Old 14-11-2011, 05:13   #4
TEE
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 139
Re: Ocean Going Sailboat 36-44'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lttl View Post
Thank you! Actually, I do not need to sail it back to DR, somehow I thought it is cheaper here. I was going to get it here and go east (including BVI). Would you recommend a good site(s)
Yes, check out BVI Yacht Sales, and the Moorings Brokerage site. If you are interested in a catamaran, you could call Voyage Yacht Sales in West End and talk to them.

If you see a boat on the Moorings listings, ignore the asking price altogether, and play the priceline game. Offer them something stupidly low on a boat, and if it is refused, make essentially the same offer plus a few bucks on an identical boat. It is a buyer's market. Never feel like you have to own any specific boat. There are plenty of them out there for sale.

Make any offer subject to sea trial, inspection, buyer's acceptance, and survey. Ignore any survey the broker provides to you that you did not pay for. And never accept a survey from a company that is regularly recommended by a boat broker. Those surveyors will never bite the hand of the broker that recommends them. Get a different surveyor, maybe even from off island to inspect the boat. Then before accepting the boat, take a mechanic with you and inspect it yourself with a fine tune comb and make them fix anything you don't like. Then, after that you might have a reasonably priced Beneteau in reasonably good shape that has come out of charter. If that is what you want.

If you prefer a more traditional sailboat, classic cruiser, etc., I would recommend you focus on BVI Yacht Sales in Nanny Cay Tortola as the best broker to start with. I have bought and sold a lot of sailboats in my lifetime. In my opinion the easiest thing a person can do when buying a boat is just not write a check. If you have 99 reasons you like a boat, and one you don't, make them fix it, or don't write a check. If the boat is pretty solid, but has any defect of significance in standing rigging, hull condition, possible repairs from grounding, etc, don't buy it. When looking at a boat, say nothing good about the boat to the broker, and make it clear if you don't get what you want, there are a lot of boats and brokers out there who will provide it.

Also, if you have a number in mind. Tell the broker that is it. Don't get the seller to counter with any higher offers. You don't intend to pay more. Take it or leave it. Then be prepared to walk away. Moreover, don't feel bad about walking away. Just keep looking. Eventually, you will find the best boat you can get at the lowest price. What I am saying might sound mean, but life is tough, boats are plentiful, and you are only trying to get the best deal.
TEE is offline  
Old 14-11-2011, 10:24   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Boat: Islander 34 1969
Posts: 17
Send a message via ICQ to Lttl
Re: Ocean Going Sailboat 36-44'

I appreciate your time and very detailed information. I have bought 2 boats in my life from the owners... so it is very helpful to know how to deal with brokers. The only extra Q-n would be whether to go for previously chartered fleet (with right price) or not at all
Lttl is offline  
Old 14-11-2011, 10:39   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 21,017
Re: Ocean Going Sailboat 36-44'

Just an FYI: Any boat sitting in Luperon Bay for more than a few weeks will have so much growth on the bottom you will need to spend a few hours cleaning it well enough (in dirty murky water) to tell the bottom condition.
If you are a US citizen, VI's are a lot easier I imagine.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline  
Old 14-11-2011, 10:57   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Boat: Islander 34 1969
Posts: 17
Send a message via ICQ to Lttl
Re: Ocean Going Sailboat 36-44'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Just an FYI: Any boat sitting in Luperon Bay for more than a few weeks will have so much growth on the bottom you will need to spend a few hours cleaning it well enough (in dirty murky water) to tell the bottom condition.
If you are a US citizen, VI's are a lot easier I imagine.
Indeed, I have checked couple of boats here and they do have a lot on the bottom. Moreover, I thought to dive under to see the boats underneath, but folks around told me DO not do it, water is really murky and dirty - all the sh-t from around being dumped there.
Lttl is offline  
Old 21-11-2011, 08:06   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,156
Re: Ocean Going Sailboat 36-44'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE View Post
Yes, check out BVI Yacht Sales, and the Moorings Brokerage site. If you are interested in a catamaran, you could call Voyage Yacht Sales in West End and talk to them.

If you see a boat on the Moorings listings, ignore the asking price altogether, and play the priceline game. Offer them something stupidly low on a boat, and if it is refused, make essentially the same offer plus a few bucks on an identical boat. It is a buyer's market. Never feel like you have to own any specific boat. There are plenty of them out there for sale.

Make any offer subject to sea trial, inspection, buyer's acceptance, and survey. Ignore any survey the broker provides to you that you did not pay for. And never accept a survey from a company that is regularly recommended by a boat broker. Those surveyors will never bite the hand of the broker that recommends them. Get a different surveyor, maybe even from off island to inspect the boat. Then before accepting the boat, take a mechanic with you and inspect it yourself with a fine tune comb and make them fix anything you don't like. Then, after that you might have a reasonably priced Beneteau in reasonably good shape that has come out of charter. If that is what you want.

If you prefer a more traditional sailboat, classic cruiser, etc., I would recommend you focus on BVI Yacht Sales in Nanny Cay Tortola as the best broker to start with. I have bought and sold a lot of sailboats in my lifetime. In my opinion the easiest thing a person can do when buying a boat is just not write a check. If you have 99 reasons you like a boat, and one you don't, make them fix it, or don't write a check. If the boat is pretty solid, but has any defect of significance in standing rigging, hull condition, possible repairs from grounding, etc, don't buy it. When looking at a boat, say nothing good about the boat to the broker, and make it clear if you don't get what you want, there are a lot of boats and brokers out there who will provide it.

Also, if you have a number in mind. Tell the broker that is it. Don't get the seller to counter with any higher offers. You don't intend to pay more. Take it or leave it. Then be prepared to walk away. Moreover, don't feel bad about walking away. Just keep looking. Eventually, you will find the best boat you can get at the lowest price. What I am saying might sound mean, but life is tough, boats are plentiful, and you are only trying to get the best deal.
Completely agree with most of this advice, particularly the buyer's market comment and the independent survey comment.

However I would always do a self-survey before hiring a professional surveyor. Why spend several hundred dollars or more on a survey only to have the surveyor tell you about a deal killer that you could have found yourself? Don Casey has an outstanding book available on how to self survey a boat and anyone who is reasonably handy and knowledgeable about sailboats can do it. Also, when hiring a surveyor, try to find one who is able to survey the engine as well as the rest of the boat.

And a question for the OP. Do you have any interest in a project boat in Ft. Lauderdale? If you do, send me a pm and I will get back to you with the info.
speedoo is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 17:39   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Re: Ocean Going Sailboat 36-44'

I have a C&C 43 for sale in Florida. I must sell her and just reduced it from 59,000 -49,000.
I have raced it to Hawaii and my wife and I lived aboard for many years. We have just painted the deck. Going to have a haul out in 2 weeks and bottom painted. Call me if interested. Bob 7024257191
staceysanfire is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 18:12   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Boat: Islander 34 1969
Posts: 17
Send a message via ICQ to Lttl
Re: Ocean Going Sailboat 36-44'

Thank you, but I am looking for a boat @ Dominican and further to the East
__________________

Lttl is offline  
 

Tags
sailboat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coast Guard Helping Sailboat In Distress at Ocean View In Norfolk, VA PamlicoTraveler Cruising News & Events 225 20-08-2012 21:40
Plastic Prop on 36' Sailboat ? ChannelIslander Propellers & Drive Systems 9 06-12-2011 10:53
Motion Comfort Randyonr3 General Sailing Forum 43 29-11-2011 12:55
Yet Another Newbie Says Hi kungfoo Meets & Greets 9 24-07-2011 19:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.