Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats) > Classifieds Archive
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 09:36   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
NEW 100A Mark Grasser alternator w/ internal and external reg - BVI pickup only

Hello everyone

Boat is sold and I was left with a brand new 100A Mark Grasser alternator with its own internal reg (for backup) and a Smart Charge One reg with Force to Float button.

I never installed it because life got on the way. The alternator comes with Yanmar mount and the pulley for a Yanmar 3YM20 engine (probably the same as for other Yanmars).

I sell both alternator and external reg for US$250 firm. This is less than a third than the retail price.

Only caveat for this great deal is that this is for pickup in East End, BVI.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:53   #2

Boat: Sabre 42
Re: NEW 100A Mark Grasser alternator w/ internal and external reg - BVI pickup only

Is it a single foot or double foot mount?
Old 02-07-2016, 11:00   #3

Re: NEW 100A Mark Grasser alternator w/ internal and external reg - BVI pickup only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Is it a single foot or double foot mount?
I am not sure I understand your question. This alt has two feet separated 3.15", as the standard Hitachi alternators shipped by Yanmar.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:44   #4

Boat: Sabre 42

That answers my question. I don't have a Yanmar so I didn't know what size their mount is. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:56   #5

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Yes, that's a common Yanmar mount. Fits my 3GM30F as well. I'm sure the 1gm and 2gm series also. Probably more models as well, just not sure which.

The Hitachi models like LR135, LR150, LR180.
Old 13-07-2016, 16:10   #6

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

I will buy your alternator and voltage regulator as well as pay shipping to the USA. Does that work for you?

Regards,
Ken
Old 13-07-2016, 16:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
I will buy your alternator and voltage regulator as well as pay shipping to the USA. Does that work for you?

Regards,
Ken
Sorry, that price is for pickup. I cannot assume responsibility for international shipping because I am not there..

Cheers

C
Old 26-07-2016, 21:54   #8

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Interested Parties,
I have just spent nearly two weeks of my time and numerous emails trying to effect a visual inspection for fit and simultaneous pick up of this alternator by my BVI mechanics from the party holding the alternator in the BVI's.

The Argentinian seller is inordinately concerned about inconveniencing the charter operator holding the alternator, to the point where any reasonable due diligence was impossible as the alternator was set up for a Yanmar and I wanted to use it as a spare on my Perkins. The only permitted transaction, per the owner, is a pick up, not even a quick look at the alternator to ensure that it would fit my engine. His unrealistic concern for the third party holding the alternator, while commendable, was not driven by the third party, to my knowledge. In my opinion, this is a transaction that should be avoided by anyone who is not actually in the BVI's to personally handle it and exercise Caveat Emptor regarding the transaction itself.

The owner, Carlos, seems to be a straight shooter who appears to be accurately representing the unit and a willingness to be flexible on other aspects of the sale, just not the pick up. His lack of knowledge as to how business is conducted in general and certainly within the BVI's, where I have been doing business for nearly 20 years. Forewarned is forearmed!

Carlos, I regret having to comment negatively on my experience with you, but that is the value of these forums. Your expectation as to how business is conducted is entirely unrealistic! Nobody buys a pig in a poke! George
Old 27-07-2016, 06:00   #9

I am sorry about that mate. My name is not 250 bucks, it is respect for my charter management company that is not there to give advice on alternators to third parties. They are quite busy moving boats and putting them away in Paraquita.

Eventually someone will get a brand new 100A external alternator and regulator for free but it will have to be someone who can pick it up from a specified place at an agreed time, not ask my rep to deliver it, not take it away just to check that it fits, or inundate him with long emails about feasibility of using this alt made for a Yanmar on a Perkins after I made it clear that I could not make any representations as to such suitability and the only representations were that both alt and reg were never used or installed and specs were as per the invoice from Grasser.

Nationality is not a factor in the equation. I am travelling on my British passport this week and can assure you that what I say above does not change.

Fair winds

Charlie
Old 27-07-2016, 10:14   #10

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Carlos or Charlie,

I strongly suspect that we have a cultural misunderstanding problem here which I can respect, but I will not accept a mischaracterization of what I asked of you. As a retired airline pilot, airline manager and 45 year Caribbean sailor, I long ago learned the value of attention to detail, accurate documentation and I archive all of my emails regarding transactions. Unlike someone else, I didn't delete all of my emails.

When I asked whether your Rep could drop it off with my mechanics on their time schedule, it was with my 20 year knowledge that my boat location is only a few miles from their location and right on the way to Road Town, the only town of any size on the island, to which most people travel at least several times a week, if not daily. When you indicated a discomfort with that, I asked if my mechanics could pick it up at your location, to which you replied YES with all sorts of caveats. I then sent an email to all parties concerned to be sure that everyone was in the caveat loop and received a response from your charter management company as to how they would like to proceed, which I forwarded to my mechanics for their knowledge.

All I ever requested of you was the ability for my mechanics to visually inspect the alternator at the time of pick up for fit suitability to my Perkins engine alternator mounts. I certainly was not requesting advice from a third party who was unknown to me, but just a quick visual look at the alternator mounts at the time of pick up to ensure fit!! It was you who morphed my email into something far greater than it was and interceded with an email to all parties that thoroughly "muddied" the waters.

Carlos, I still feel that you are a gentleman and a standup guy who accurately represents his unit, but have totally misunderstood my requirements as a purchaser spending my corporation's money. I stand by my earlier posting that anyone dealing with you had best understand your undue concern with your charter management's time constraints and be prepared to jump through your hoops. While nationality and passports may not be a factor is this transaction, your unwillingness to allow a simple transaction to occur without your intercession from thousands of miles away with incomplete information is a factor. In the future, provide the necessary information to all parties, then get out of the way! Better luck next time, George

Tags
alternator