Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2011, 05:09   #1

Boat: 33 Hunter Cherubini
Need a Cheap, Cheap, Cheap Boat . . . Did I Mention Cheap ?

I'm an American Freelance Writer living in Singapore. I am moving back to the US next month.

I would like to find an inexpensive boat that I can live on while I resettle.

I know you folks all have awesome boats that probably aren't cheap. But you guys are in marinas all the time and might hear of something that comes available.

Power or sail; makes no difference. It needs to be livable and be seaworthy (so I can move it), a minimum of 27 feet and in the Gulf of Mexico or Atlantic Coast.

If it isn't CHEAP (really cheap), if there is anyone around who wants to sell a boat and will accept monthly payments - that would also work.

If you or anyone you know needs to get rid of a decent boat quickly and will be flexible on price and/or terms, please contact me a.s.a.p.

Thank you.
Old 24-09-2011, 05:20   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Need a Cheap Cheap Cheap Boat...Did I mention Cheap?

there are uselly no "Decent Cheap" boats, anywhere- lots of cheap ones and even Free ones around south Florida-good luck
Old 24-09-2011, 05:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
there are uselly no "Decent Cheap" boats, anywhere- lots of cheap ones and even Free ones around south Florida-good luck
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? And certainly a decent "cheap" boat is held to a far lower standard than a plain old decent boat.

I've owned a Newport 27 and a 36' Grand Banks. Whenever I was in the marina there were always folks who were looking to sell this or that boat and some of the deals were quite amazing. I'm hoping that someone here, who's in marina's a lot, might hear of something and pass the info on to me.

Nonetheless, I would love to know where I could get a free or cheap boat in S Florida. Do you know of any?
Old 24-09-2011, 05:28   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScarab View Post
I'm an American Freelance Writer living in Singapore. I am moving back to the US next month.

I would like to find an inexpensive boat that I can live on while I resettle.

I know you folks all have awesome boats that probably aren't cheap. But you guys are in marinas all the time and might hear of something that comes available.

Power or sail; makes no difference. It needs to be livable and be seaworthy (so I can move it), a minimum of 27 feet and in the Gulf of Mexico or Atlantic Coast.

If it isn't CHEAP (really cheap), if there is anyone around who wants to sell a boat and will accept monthly payments - that would also work.

If you or anyone you know needs to get rid of a decent boat quickly and will be flexible on price and/or terms, please contact me a.s.a.p.

Thank you.
Scarab, there are two such boats right in my marina. One appears (I haven't been on it) to have been very well taken care of. I don't know why it's being sold.

There's also a Morgan 30' that a woman here (Tampa Bay area, 3 nm from the Gulf of Mexico) has been living on. She's tired of living aboard and is going to move in with a daughter. I don't know here more than to say hi.

Email me and I will tell you the name of the marina and you can talk to the marina manager. I don't publish exactly where I live out on the Internet where anyone can find it.

There are many marinas in this area and the marina manager could probably give you lots of other names as well.

To give you an idea about the prices here, my boat is 31' and with the live-aboard fee tacked on, I pay under $600.

You can find lots of other boats in this area, some of them very reasonably priced. They may need some work but would be "fix up as you go." I suspect that the two boats I'm talking about are more on the end of "fixed" than "fixable," but I can't guarantee that.
Old 24-09-2011, 06:40   #5

Thanks Rakuflames. That's an answer I was hoping to get.

I sent you a PM.

If anyone else hears of anything...I'd love to know about it.
Old 24-09-2011, 08:01   #6

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Re: Need a Cheap, Cheap, Cheap Boat . . . Did I Mention Cheap ?

There really is only one truly egregious sin in this life, and that is being cheap.
The Dude abides, but not with the cheap.
Old 24-09-2011, 08:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
There really is only one truly egregious sin in this life, and that is being cheap.
Being cheap and needing cheap are two different things. Enjoy your 63' trawler! Wish I could afford that.

Maybe there's some homeless people you can kick around next time you're in port. That's always a fun sport for some of the rich (between polo matches and movie festivals).

Anyway...money doesn't buy class. But it might buy a cheap cheap boat. Anyone else have any leads?
Old 24-09-2011, 09:08   #8

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Cheap jibe Lorenzo, really cheap.
Old 24-09-2011, 09:41   #9

Another idea is to try Ebay -- especially boats that are being sold by a charitable organization.

These organizations will be as honest as they can about the condition of the boat since they have a reputation to keep for the next boat. They also care more about moving the boat than getting the best price. They usually won't have a "reserve price".

And people who want the tax deduction of giving a boat to charity also probably had the money to keep a boat in pretty good shape. It's often a wife or widow getting rid of boat because the husband's out of the picture.

Here's an example - too bad it's in the midwest.

79 26' Paceship PY26 Alcort by AMF 8HP Yanmar Diesel Ready to Sail ! Nice.... | eBay

Carl
Old 24-09-2011, 09:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Another idea is to try Ebay -- especially boats that are being sold by a charitable organization.

These organizations will be as honest as they can about the condition of the boat since they have a reputation to keep for the next boat. They also care more about moving the boat than getting the best price. They usually won't have a "reserve price".

And people who want the tax deduction of giving a boat to charity also probably had the money to keep a boat in pretty good shape. It's often a wife or widow getting rid of boat because the husband's out of the picture.

Here's an example - too bad it's in the midwest.

79 26' Paceship PY26 Alcort by AMF 8HP Yanmar Diesel Ready to Sail ! Nice.... | eBay

Carl
That's a lot of boat for $200. Thanks for the heads up. If I could find something like that on the East Coast it would be perfect.

I'll keep an eye on ebay now...Thanks.
Old 24-09-2011, 09:50   #11

Does anyone have an idea about how much it might cost to transport a 27' sailboat from Indiana to anywhere on the Atlantic Coast?
Old 24-09-2011, 11:19   #12

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScarab View Post
Does anyone have an idea about how much it might cost to transport a 27' sailboat from Indiana to anywhere on the Atlantic Coast?
A lot more than the boat, unfortunately.
You can ask on here: uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves
Old 24-09-2011, 11:39   #13

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Here's cheap and moveable in FL. 30ft Pearson Project w/ trailer -
$ 2000.00
Old 24-09-2011, 11:42   #14

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Figure $4.00/mile and you'll be in the ballpark. IF permits aren't required.
Old 24-09-2011, 11:50   #15

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl-T705 View Post
Here's cheap and moveable in FL. 30ft Pearson Project w/ trailer -
$ 2000.00
If they ever make a horror flick involving a sailboat....

"The Boat needs only 2 things..." --Extra points for sense of humor!

Tags
cheap, boat