Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 13:25   #31

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Re: Need a Cheap, Cheap, Cheap Boat . . . Did I Mention Cheap ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScarab View Post
I think that's it. I read $140/ft and just about fell out of my chair. Reading it again it says 'Summer Season 140/ft'.

The marina in MA is in fact $50/ft.+electric per month.
Wow, for my 25 footer that would be $1,250.00 a month. How does anyone on the east coast afford a boat. I was at a really nice marina on Kentucky Lake, and it cost me $1,000.00 per year including electric, water, pump out, ect, ect. If you ran an A/C you were suppoxed to pay $1 per day that you used it (honor system).
Old 25-09-2011, 14:30   #32

The higher number is certainly the summer rate.

A typical "high end" MA marina charges $140/ft for the April-November season and about $35ft to stay at the slip for the winter - or about $15/ft a month average if you can stand the winter. You can easily save 25% if you negotiate and/or go to a smaller marina.

And the majority of folks with sailboats in the NE (especially "old money") don't use slips but the traditional mooring. Nicer views and much quieter. I have a small 2nd sailboat on a Mass mooring for which I pay $50/year to the town.

Carl
Old 25-09-2011, 14:39   #33

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

My guess is if they are charging $140/ft, the customer is getting a lot more than some dock space. They can only charge what someone is willing to pay. Oh yeah I forgot, we're supposed to hate the greedy rich..... until we get to a place where rich is having $10.00 in your pocket.
Old 25-09-2011, 14:57   #34

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

It's all kind of relative to one's particular budget what is extremely pricey. There was a pretty nice 49' power yacht in the slip next to me for a few days. A few of us were on my boat admiring it and a neighors wife asked me what a boat like that cost. I said probably four hundred thousand or maybe even half a million. A friend of the owner then said that the man had paid two million for it.
Old 28-09-2011, 16:44   #35

Scarab, You might check Chapman's School of Seamanship in Stuart Fl. They have donated boats all the time come in, they refurbish them if they need to and turn them over to put the money back into the school. I was over there just yesterday and saw a nice 30' Alberg/Whitby for 11,900. Had a sweet 2gm 21hp Yanmar in it. I am sure they are open to offers, who knows what you could get that one for, sweet boat, worth a shot.
Old 29-09-2011, 19:39   #36

How do you define "cheap"? I am selling a boat for $12K.
Old 29-09-2011, 20:00   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Another idea is to try Ebay -- especially boats that are being sold by a charitable organization.

These organizations will be as honest as they can about the condition of the boat since they have a reputation to keep for the next boat. They also care more about moving the boat than getting the best price. They usually won't have a "reserve price".

And people who want the tax deduction of giving a boat to charity also probably had the money to keep a boat in pretty good shape. It's often a wife or widow getting rid of boat because the husband's out of the picture.

Here's an example - too bad it's in the midwest.

79 26' Paceship PY26 Alcort by AMF 8HP Yanmar Diesel Ready to Sail ! Nice.... | eBay

Carl
Quote:
That's a lot of boat for $200. Thanks for the heads up. If I could find something like that on the East Coast it would be perfect.

I'll keep an eye on ebay now...Thanks.
it finally sold for $3,302.00.

a little more then the $200 that it looked like at the start.....
Old 06-10-2011, 20:48   #38

Boat: Tartan 27, #534

Hey Scarab,
I don't know where your located but, I suggest looking in bridgetown and oriental, NC. In Bridgetown, look up 'Tyndall Marine'. They have a Bristol 26. $1500 I have not seen this boat in person, so you will have to ask them to email you pics. I was in your exact position a year a ago. I bought a 'cheap Tartan 27'. I did not even get a survey before I bought her, and I've paid dearly. But if you are set on buying a cheap boat, I recommend...

-Have a facility to fix it out of the water. (my only saving grace was that I had my grandpa's shop to hang it in) To make a cheap boat seaworthy again, it takes air tools, money and thousands of man hours. I work nights now.
-Get a good survey. It can tell you if your boat has osmotic blisters, faulty rigging, soft spots, sail condition, inumerable worn out parts, etc.
-Survey it out of the water. Blisters and rudder damage are alot easier to see.
-Get Don Casey's set of books. 'hull and deck repair, good old boat, sailboat refinishing.
-Haggle the price down even lower. You'll need every cent.
-Have a west marine and machine shop near by if possible.
-Buy in bulk. For example, My fiberglass, resin, hardener and fillers I buy from CompositesOne.com. 1/3 of the price of west marine.
-Try to buy a boat from the original owner. They're less likely to have neglected it. My boat was neglected. A neglected boat is not safe or seaworthy.
Buying an old, cheap boat is not the fastest or cheapest way for you to get on the water. I've learned that the hard way. It would have been faster to save 10K more, and bought a sound boat that had been cared for. A year and $9,000 later my boat is almost ready to go back in the water.
But either way, good luck.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:22   #39

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Resurrecting an old thread. . . . Saw this on the Yahoo Freesailboats group today:

Now is your chance to name your own price. Price is for the whole boat, sails, motor (if on the boat), as it sits and as you see it. Email us to schedule a viewing appointment. Slips and/or winter land storage are available from Lippincott Marine. More pictures and details can be seen at: Name Your Own Price - Anchor Point, Inc.

1. 1977 Catalina 22'-- Patience - 6 hp Evinrude outboard, needs a good cleaning, some soft spots in foredeck.

2. 1969 Jensen Cal 29' SL -- My Sanity - needs new distributor and starter on Atomic 4 gas engine, tiller steering

3. 1967 Columbia 28' -- Mariah - soft spot at foredeck, solid boat, lots of extra sails, tiller steering, 15hp Johnson outboard

4. 1975 Catalina 26' -- Padgett - project boat, tiller steering

5. 1970 Cheoy Lee 27' - project boat, interior wood has been refinished, needs re-installation

6. 1978 Hunter 27' -- Black Pearl - Newer Sails, Yanmar 8hp diesel engine, tiller steering, bent rudder post due to Irene (easy fix), roller furling

7. 1969 26' Grampian -- Madrina - needs a good cleaning, 8hp Johnson outboard, tiller steering

8. 1977 26' Islander Bahama -- Rozinante - OMC Saildrive engine, roller furling

Old 10-11-2011, 05:47   #40

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I have looked at a lot of cheap boats or free boats, here in SW florida, they will show up from time to time on criegs list, I would recomend that you stay away from anything that is free. It has been my experiece that a free boat will not be functional with out a LOT of WORK and MONEY. It may float but thats it. I just looked at a so called cheap boat, a 37 ft ketch, in Naples. I am sure it could be bought for a thousand bucks or so, but, it needs everything, engine, sails , rigging, interior, exterior, I mean everything. But with that said, I have seen boats going for 5000 to 10000 bucks that are seaworthy and livable. Boats in general in SW Florida are cheap, if you have a little know how, are not in a big horry, and scour the marinas, and criegs list your are normally able to find a great deal. If you are able to pay something in the 35-50 thousand range you can find a boat that is not only functional but also take you around the world if you want, with the exta goodies probably adding up to more than the asking price. Also do not be afraid to offer something that you may think is rediculous, Many times the sellers just want to get rid of it and will take something far less than asking. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17   #41

Boat: Pearson 36

Im selling a Pearson Triton. Definitely a classic take you anywhere boat. I have a thread going in the classifieds, take a look, might be just what you are looking for.
Old 26-11-2011, 10:44   #42

Here's another free boat that might be a cruiser someday. No idea if it's "promising" or "hopeless" . . .

FREE 32' IRWIN SLOOP

FREE :>) 32 ft Irwin sloop. 70s model fiberglass sailboat. Yanmar diesel engine. Project boat. Teak cabinetry. Assorted equipment included. Located in West Barnstable, Ma. Needs to be transported. Can be a beautiful craft with the work.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:56   #43

Well, I don't know if the OP has checked back recently, but every now and then I see a "cheap, cheap" boat and can't help myself. Must post the link. . . .

Free Sailboat
Free Sailboat (Rye Marina)

Free 1978 26 foot US YACHT up for the taking. I haven't had the time to enjoy it due to work. She is a sound vessel that needs interior cosmetic work. All sails are included. No electric. No trailer.
25 Evinrude is included.

And nearby in the NY Craigslist was this -- not free, but readier to go cruising:
GRAMPIAN 26' 1974 SAILBOAT, W Johnson 8 Hp, Sailmaster

GRAMPIAN 26' 1974 SAILBOAT, W Johnson 8 Hp, Sailmaster - $3500 (Port Washington)

GRAMPIAN 26' 1974 SAILBOAT, W Johnson 8 Hp, Sailmaster

Turn Key in Water ready to Sail!!!

Grampian 26 was designed by Alex McGruer in Oakville, Ontario, Canada. Good sailing performance, tacks quickly and points well. Six foot headroom in the interior and berths for four. Strong and seaworthy and trailerable (no trailer included). Ideal minimum sized boat for cruisers. Deep lockers under the berths have lots of stowaway space. Galley counter is of reasonable size w sink on the countertop and 2 burner cook stove and icebox located in the cockpit locker.

Long comfortable cockpit w tiller sprouting from the cockpit floor. Outboard Johnson 8 Hp, Sailmaster hp engine can be easily operated. There is a fairly new rudder and a custom made main sail. The boat condition is good overall and is in the water ready to sail. Sold "as is" and "where is", Engine warranteed to work and run well.

Photos go to: http://sellyourboatnow.shutterfly.com/4496

Please contact: Patty/Steve to view the vessel (631)896-6212

Obvious spam/scam emails will not be answered. Please include contact name, email and phone number in reply.

Old 30-11-2011, 04:54   #44

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea about how much it might cost to transport a 27' sailboat from Indiana to anywhere on the Atlantic Coast?
It has been about 6 years ago, I had our 32' trucked from Panama City,FL to western KY <$2000.00 Trucking Fees. Extra yard cost for preping, loading and unloading.
Old 30-11-2011, 05:58   #45

Boat: Tartan 30

In this past week, the ericson 29 right across from me sold for $350 at auction. A Ranger 26 sold for less than $400 and a Seidelmann 25 sold for about $1000. All of which were take-overs by the marina for overdue fee's.

Just an idea, but start looking for marina and city auctions. Or just start picking marinas out of the phonebook and call them and ask around.

Tags
cheap, boat